Gibson Brands Forums

LP studio.. wine red or alpine white?

lynskyn112

I just bought a studio, it took a while to choose between the white or red but I finally went with the white because it was originally what i had my heart set on. But I have heard that a problem with the white is that it fades quick and turns to a more older yellowish white.. which some ppl like because its classic vintage. But its a concern to me and I've been debating on whether or not to just go back and get the red so I wouldn't have to worry about it, at least with the red it doesnt fade and you can see the wood grain..

what do you guys think, any stories on the fading?

Also.. anyone know why Gibson disco'd the alpine white???!

I think it depends on whether you plan on playing it or staring at it. Regardless of the finish you choose you will have a natural aging process with any guitar if it's played on a regular bases - hell, there will be a natural aging process even if you don't play it much. If you had/have your heart set on the white then I'd stick with it. I'd say it's more important to have a guitar that inspires you to pick it up rather than concern yourself with what it will look like in 20 years.

Also, don't concern yourself with future value. Unless you own a vintage LP produced during a period in which there were very few made the appreciation is very small...if at all. Buying a brand new LP today is not the same as purchasing a vintage instrument - today there are so many new LP's flooded in the market that there is nowhere for the used price market to climb.

How about some pictures?

I had the exact same dilema last year! Had originally set my mind on a white studio. Then saw the red and loved it too. But the more I looked at the red ones the more I thought that they should have gold hardware. And the whites have this but I was falling more for the red colour. Eventually I stumbled across a Wine Red standard with gold hardware which I hadn't budgeted for but just had to have it.

What am I saying? Oh yeh.. stick with the white, coz once you get an image of a wine red with gold you'll be forever frustrated that it's not quite perfect. Unless you like crome. And like someone else said, you don't see many whites.

I love white guitars, good choice! I wish Gibby would offer white in it's other models of Les Pauls too. Lets see some pics of that beauty.

I don't think that fading is as much of an issue anymore with the way laquer is formulated now. Colors last mcuh much longer and if you take a reasonable amount of care it may not fade for a very long time.

I love white guitars' date=' good choice! I wish Gibby would offer white in it's other models of Les Pauls too. Lets see some pics of that beauty.

[/quote']

I don't really think a white LP would look very good with a body binding. It'd look kind of awkward. But I've said it before and I'll say it again, a white SG with gold hardware + bigsby is easily one of the sexiest looking guitars I can imagine.

On topic, keep the white. It looks sharp.

I just bought a studio' date=' it took a while to choose between the white or red but I finally went with the white because it was originally what i had my heart set on. But I have heard that a problem with the white is that it fades quick and turns to a more older yellowish white.. which some ppl like because its classic vintage. But its a concern to me and I've been debating on whether or not to just go back and get the red so I wouldn't have to worry about it, at least with the red it doesnt fade and you can see the wood grain..

what do you guys think, any stories on the fading?

Also.. anyone know why Gibson disco'd the alpine white???![/quote']

Keep the white one. If you take it back and get the wine red one you'll still have a great guitar but it won't be the one you really wanted. Don't worry about it going a bit yellow. It happens so slowly you'll probably never notice it has happened, someone someday will say to you, "wow, your guitar has aged really nicely" and you won't have noticed the difference. Plus as someone else has already said, there are wine red studios everywhere so its cool to be a bit different.

• 10 years later...
1 hour ago, The Mod said:

Has Gibson stopped making the SG model in alpine white? I have a alpine white SG w/rosewood and gold hardware.

20191007_143730.jpg

Yeah, it looks the the SG Standard gold series in Alpine White are done.   Actually I was surprised to see it run the extra year.   

I picked up an Alpine White from Sam Ash before these were out, but it's just a regular standard for 2017.  No gold hardware or knobs.

My Gibby baby pic:   grin.gif

2017SGalpinebenchpic.jpg

• Like 1

I'd say stick with the white - there are many wine reds ones out there, but not so many white so you have something people will remember when they see it.  Fading to yellowish will take a  long time, and wine red will eventually fade some as well so don't be concerned about that.

• Like 2

I would be happy with either one.  I have never owned a white Gibson guitar, so I can’t speak from personal experience about the fading issue.  But since I already own 3 red electric guitars, I would go with the white one just for something different.  

Edited by tx-ogre
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I'd say stick with the white - there are many wine reds ones out there, but not so many white so you have something people will remember when they see it.  Fading to yellowish will take a  long time, and wine red will eventually fade some as well so don't be concerned about that.

You got pulled in like I did 🙂. The OP is 10 years old.

This is happening all the time now. You see an interesting new post, that isn't really new at all. Often down to new members searches I suspect. 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

You got pulled in like I did 🙂. The OP is 10 years old.

This is happening all the time now. You see an interesting new post, that isn't really new at all. Often down to new members searches I suspect. 

Well SKTN77a does have a sheep for an avatar.

• Haha 1