Gibson Brands Forums

NBD

duluthdan

Had major reconstructive surgery in my mouth last week and am unable to sing, and struggle to talk. I'm practicing my ABCs while I walk the dog. Recovery going well, but speech is gonna be a while, so, I figured I buy me an old time open back banjo from Elderly's and learn me some claw-hammer. I stuffed my old friend of 62 years in the back to dial back the volume, he won't mind, he's been through worse. I did look at a Gibson banjo, but with a price north of $2,000 I figure its not very responsible to drop that kind of dough even before I've figured out how to tune one of these darn things.

Smile Fierce !!!

2oQeQhl.jpg

I wouldn't worry about it Dan.

There's so many Dylan wannabe's out there that sing nasally with their teeth clinched, you'd fit right in.

All kidding aside, I hope you have a successful recovery and get back to what you enjoy.

Personally, I love the banjo but the wife prefers I don't have one in the house;)

Hope you're healing quickly, Dan. We miss those "Dean Martin" vocals....lol......Anyways, I've got an open back banjo (Fender Rustler) and it's pretty sweet. I just play around with it. Do a couple songs now-and-then at a gig. Nice instrument for the money. Easy to play for ol' codgers like us....unless we're trying to get to the Roy Clark playing level...lol...... Plus, about 80lbs lighter than lots of the resonator banjos....Have fun with it, old friend. I bet it would go well with Box Top Tamborine. [thumbup] [thumbup]

I've had plenty of people who have advised me to stuff things in my guitar, but it was usually uttered in the spirit of, "Stp playing...."

Seriously, though, I hope your recovery/rehab goes quickly. DO WHAT HE DOCTORS TELL YOU. When I have ignored their advice in the past, I have paid a price for it.

Archived