Gibson Brands Forums

Excellent NGD - Les Paul Standard

NighthawkChris

Ran into an ad I couldn't refuse... A 1994 Gibson Les Paul Standard with a Heritage Cherry Sunburst finish! This guitar is great and I am very happy that this came across my way. For a guitar that is almost 25 years old, it is in magnificent shape. As with some of the 1990s Gibsons, the headstock nitro is checking a bit, but everything else is awesome. I kind of like the checked look on some places - like the headstock - as it gives it a bit of character. Truss rod works, frets level, electronics 100% stock... This was just an awesome deal I couldn't pass up on. Sounds, looks, and feels great.

Many many thanks fellas, I appreciate all the compliments! I really dig this guitar; nice and broken in and sounds just fantastic. Usually, I'd be thinking after day 1 that there is something that I don't like and want to turn this back in, but not this guitar... Once I got it home, re-strung it and set it up the way I like, it felt like butter - no lie man! I went to the store today - and not GC - to pick up some strap locks for it and the deal is done... This is a keeper. I like the vintage style tuners of this year even though they are not as nice as locking Grovers, the vintage Kluson deluxe look is just killer IMHO. I debated between a used 2017 LP Standard - same finish - and I came across this where I just did not want to look away. None of that push-pull stuff going on with the pots/pickups, just straight up simple volume and tone like we all know and love on a LP. I think this guitar comes with 498T and 490R set - because it sure sounds like it. I personally like these pickups, but not that I have any dislike for Burstbuckers or Classics... I just prefer a hotter pickup set for the leads I come out with.

All in all, it was a good deal. The guy I bought it from gave a fair price and I received a guitar that was worth the cost, so since this was a win-win deal, life is good here. Per my other thread about that Nighthawk CST3 I returned to GC that drove me a little batty, I ended up with something else that was nicer. I am glad that I walked away from that deal and found something better. Although, I still will never go to GC the rest of my life, haha! Last 2 used guitars I bought from them I turned them in, because they all had issues that I wasn't prepared to deal with - unlike this LP I just bought which is pretty much a re-string and polish up and good to go kind of thing. No scraped fretboards, no re-frets, new nut... Just plug in and make noise! As I learned myself with guitar purchases, it pays to be patient and wait for a good deal to come your way. And as @rct said once here to me, (to some extent and definitely not exact words) it pays to buy the good guitar instead of the crappy guitar you regret wasting your money on some time later. Words of the wise... I hope I got this right...

...and I do like the newer tonal features for the latest builds of LP Standards and all that, just that I wasn't ready for it yet msp_biggrin.gif 4 knobs and a 3-way toggle switch, and plug it in. Nice vintage setup - BlackDog - haha! BTW, GC considers 1994 guitars vintage, so it has to be true msp_biggrin.gif. And I agree with you jdgm, the 90s were some good build years... Most of the ones out there today that are messed up aren't because Gibson messed them up. Anyhow, best regards everyone and thanks again!

Archived