Gibson Brands Forums

Firebird vs Les Paul

uncle fester

Hi all - been thinking of ways I could spend money I don't have. Besides the looks, does anyone have any opinions on differences in sound or other... between the Les Pauls and Firebirds.

My thinking, I'm chiefly an acoustic guy, but feel I should have a Gibson electric in the stable. My wife has a '68 SG she says is mine, but you know it's not really (and it has a super skinny neck, so want something a little beefier). I was set to go for a Les Paul, because, well, they're Les Paul's - but then started looking and the Firebird has really caught my eye. Anyone like them, hate them - feel I'd try to find one with P90s. (I'm a bluesy rock type of guy...)

Note - this is just wishful thinking so disregard if background noise, but doing my research for when that windfall comes :) thanks for any input. Full disclosure, I'm getting a strat at the same time.

Everyone should have at least one Les Paul

I personally don't feel the same wrt firebirds and SGs. I have 2 SGs, I could sell em, and not care.

I have two les pauls, I won't sell either. ever..

While an SG will be a bit closer to the Les Paul, the Firebird will be WAY different.

Especially if you go with non-humbuckers

IMHO, there is really nothing that compares to a Les Paul.. 'nutin...

While SG can come close that's all it does, comes close.

Never had a firebird, and never even really wanted one. that's just me.

I have four Les Pauls, two of them with P90's and the P90 Goldtop and the 2018 Traditional are my go to guitars. I tried a Firebird a few months back and really couldn't connect to it. I don't know if it was the body shape or what but I didn't play it very long. I have three Flying V's as well and love them, so it's not a shape thing. Gibson is releasing a few later this year that they previewed at NAMM and they look to be quality guitars with different options, different pickups, different neck sizes, etc. Those might be worth looking into. If you're going to go used, I hear a lot of good things about the 90's Les Pauls. 2016 through 2018 seem to be fine instruments as well. My Les Pauls are 2017 and 2018 and perfect instruments all the way around. The Firebird with the mini humbuckers has a unique sound and I didn't care for it much but some people swear by them. For my blues stuff, I'll typically play one of the Goldtops with P90's and they have a lot of bite and really cut through. The Traditional's pickups aren't quite as hot as my Standard and it's probably my go to live guitar. Have you played a few of each to see how you feel? I've bought a couple guitars online without playing the actual guitar first but did play one like them at Guitar Center before purchasing.

PS: I also own a Strat that I just bought. I'm still getting used to it after not owning one for over 25 years and it's a different feel, different amp settings but Fender seems to still be making quality Strats. I'm a Gibson guy first though. Good luck in your search and I look forward to seeing what you choose.

Since you mentioned you would be getting a Strat too, I would tend to lean toward a Les Paul over a Firebird. The LP has the classic Gibson sound you've heard on a million recordings - the strat has the sound you've heard on the other million recordings. The Firebird is different from either of those - but as others have said go to a big box store and try them both and see what suites your taste best.

Good luck in the hunt [thumbup]

Thank you all, without having gone to the shop yet - I'd say I'm leaning towards the Les Paul, again due to what it is.

Think I've got task get to the local big box shops and introduce myself to the staff (I saw a couple you tube videos on songs to play that they like best and I'm getting pretty good at the 'sweet child o mine' solo). Really though, I'll check out the two different guitars, but also see if I can find a LPs with traditional and P90 pick ups to compare... see if I can hone in on some specs

I have a firebird sg and les paul. I think the firebird is a pretty cool guitar. I have had 2 explorers as well. I say that because the firebird is a much more comfortable guitar to play than the explorer imo. Matter of fact the firebird is probably the most comfortable one to play of all I have for to the way it just sits in my lap when I am sitting down. And when I play standing up the upper body wing allows you to rest your picking hand very comfortably on it.

The pick ups are different though. You can get some very good tones from it too but it is a guitar that is slightly different from what your used to. I purchased mine brand new. I prefer 9 gauge strings and due to the fact that the bass E string is the longest string instead of the shortest string like on normal head stocks, the firebird tends to lean toward a heavier set of strings. So if you play 10 or 11 gauge you will be right at home.

But you should ay least try and play one before everyone helps change your mind.

I think part of it will depend on how long your arms are.

If you've got short arms the Firebird will feel ridiculously long.

It took a little while to get used to them and some messing around to find the correct strap length but once I did I play my Firebird 99% of the time.

My Les Paul gets used on occasion because I feel guilty letting it sit but after the Firebird it feels like a miniature guitar.

The 335 and Lucille feel a bit more like it as there's a lot more body size but to me, the Firebird is the most comfortable and I also think it's Gibson's best solid body design.

I should note that the majority of Firebirds have a wide, fairly flat neck so that may or may not work for your hand size.

I did play a 60s non-reverse and that had a 60s style Les Paul/SG neck so there's no telling with GIbson!

Try them both and see what you think.

Everyone should have at least one Les Paul

I agree with Kidblast. When I think of Gibson, that's the first thing that comes to mind, a Les Paul. It's their flagship model, IMO.

If you're planning on getting other Gibsons, then it makes sense to consider other models. But, if you only have one it should be a LP.

But, none of that should matter to you at all! You should get the one you like!

I have 3 LP's and a firebird among others and while the forum may recall I believe the Firebird is the sexiest guitar design ever and I do love the guitar I generally get along better with LP's. That said I probably don't play my FB as much as I should but when I do pick it up I always wonder why I don't play it more b/c it's awesome. Now when I grab a LP it just feels like home. There is a reason why it's such a popular model. It feels, plays, sounds,etc. awesome! Until I got my 335 an LP would be my go to guitar. Glad I have both but if I had to pick one or the other...... well I wouldn't. I'd still take both!

I've never owned, or even played a Firebird. My gut instinct says I would only get a Firebird if I planned to use it in a band. It just seems like it would be awkward to sit on the couch or a chair around the house.

But maybe I'm wrong. eusa_think.gif

but also see if I can find a LPs with traditional and P90 pick ups to compare.

While I have much admiration for p90s, I'd be more inclined to stick with a more traditional humbucker fitted LP if 1 is your goal.

P90s are awesome, very aggressive and responsive, but oft times noisy (single coils, making noises is what they do).

They are cool tho, and for those times when you want that growl and bite, nothing quite like em. But then again, hard to beat a set of humbucking classic 57s, real hard..

if your ultimate plan is to also add a strat, (while not the same as what a set of p90s will give you) it's a bit more versatile IMO, and honestly Bill, there's not much you CAN'T do on a Strat. I don't play mine a lot but when I do, I ask myself the same as Beerad does with his FB, Why???

and btw.. us nerds would love to see a pic of that 68 SG you're talking about. And if you are NOT playing that, I'm driving to your house and slapping you. I'm not that far away, I'll do it,, I swear...

(LOL!)

I have 2 LPS with HB's & one with P90's. I like them all. I have a Firebird V with Mini HB's & like it too.. The Mini HB's have a Sound in between HB's & P90's. Very unique but very cool..

The next Guitar on my list is a Memphis ES Les Paul Gold Top with Bigsby & P90's.... Hard to find but I'm in no rush...

Being a Blues Guy you can't go wrong with a Tradional Firebird w/ Mini HB's or Les Paul's with either HB's or P90's.... Get them with Maestros or Bigsby's if you can. You won't. Be sorry....

Keep us posted...

L

1549634879[/url]' post='1976658']

The late 60s SGs tend to have a distinctively narrow fretboard width so I totally understand why that would deter many players

Personally I love that era of the SG and yes I would love to see pics

Me too! :)

Here's the pics. Truth be told, she's told me it's a '68 SG, I have not looked beyond that - so I may be all wet. A friend that was over said it was non original pick ups - regardless, once you get it in tune, it sounds awesome (not shown is a cracked headstock repair where it comes to the body).

T4mNjxn.jpg?1, Iq9rU5s.jpg?1, Rj6rL8t.jpg?1

I can't say she come out often, but when I'm ready to go all Angus Young over something you know it's there (and why an SG is not in the list of 'want to get's)

That does look like it could be a 68, a serial number search would nail it down. and he's right, the pickups don't look original I see a seymour duncan in the bridge, but that is neither here nor there unless some one is looking to sell it and get top dollar for value. Cool Bill thx for sharing the photos.. us guitar geeks like those

Archived