Gibson Brands Forums

Another Attempt At A Les Paul

I've had 3 LPs over the last few years, a 2015 Deluxe, a 2016 Standard, and a 2018 Classic. I don't think I've kept one more than 8 months so far. I always felt like I couldn't justify keeping them in my collection. For the 2015, it was the potential depreciation due to the whacky specs that year (sold it while they were still the hot new thing before I took a big hit on it). For the 2016, it was the amount of money I had tied up into it, plus the fact that my SG does pretty much the same things a Les Paul does. For the 2018, it was the absurd weight (11 lbs), and the fact that the P-90s sounded like weak humbuckers instead of P-90s.

I'm trying again this year. I was browsing Sweetwater and found the 2019 LP Standard '60s. I hadn't seen these before. Basically a classic spec. Standard but at a very reasonable non-Custom Shop price ($2500). The only difference between it and the regular Standard is the lack of fancy electronic switchwork and a AA top instead of AAA. I looked at the pictures of all the ones they had in stock (love how Sweetwater lets you see the actual guitars). I found one in Iced Tea Burst with a top that must have just barely been rejected for AAA during sorting. Its way better than any other top I've seen anywhere on these guitars. I had to buy it. I just hope I can bond with this one and finally keep a Les Paul in my collection permanently!

106690247-body-xlarge.jpg

106690247-front-xlarge.jpg

• Upvote 4

Good luck with this one. I know what you mean. I maintain a 58RI from 2008 and an old The Paul in my collection. The weight of the 58 has always kept me from being comfortable playing and enjoying it. Great guitar for a young strong back, but that isn't me. Hope though, you are happy this time with your new LP. It sure is pretty!

Got it today. Absolutely flawless and even better looking in person than in the photos Sweetwater sent. The weight is manageable, just a hair heavier than my Tele. Sounds great and the setup was perfect out of the box. Gibson is moving in the right direction!

IMG-2748.jpg

IMG-2749.jpg

• Upvote 5

man, that think is gorgeous!

but i'm gonna tell ya, if you can't fall in love with that one, you need your head examined. also, it's way easy these days to have those "fancy switching options" you didn't get. all you need to do is go on ebay, and buy a pc board from any lp studio. plug and play. takes all of 10 minutes. that is, as long as the pick ups in your guitar have enough wires.

I think it's more complicated than just purchasing a PCB board. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Burstbucker 1 & 2 and Burstbucker 61R & 61T on the Standard 50s and 60s do not have the 4 wire conductors needed for coil splitting or tapping. My understanding is that they have the old school braided 2 conductor wire (hot wire with braided casing that goes to ground). I've heard that there are ways to convert a pickup with 2 conductor braided into a 4 way conductor wiring, but it's not as trivial task as swapping pickups. Also, some people are asking waaayyy too much for those PCB boards on reverb. If your're capable of converting a 2 braided conductor into a 4 conductor, you could just as well just get a pair of push/pull potentiometers and hand wire it to give your guitar the ability to coil tap/split.

I think it's more complicated than just purchasing a PCB board. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Burstbucker 1 & 2 and Burstbucker 61R & 61T on the Standard 50s and 60s do not have the 4 wire conductors needed for coil splitting or tapping. My understanding is that they have the old school braided 2 conductor wire (hot wire with braided casing that goes to ground). I've heard that there are ways to convert a pickup with 2 conductor braided into a 4 way conductor wiring, but it's not as trivial task as swapping pickups. Also, some people are asking waaayyy too much for those PCB boards on reverb. If your're capable of converting a 2 braided conductor into a 4 conductor, you could just as well just get a pair of push/pull potentiometers and hand wire it to give your guitar the ability to coil tap/split.

Just gave the guitar a body cavity search and yes, they are 2 wire pickups. I plan on leaving this one stock anyway. I built my SG with coil tapping options, so I can live without another tapped humbucker guitar. It sounds perfect as-is anyway.

I have enough guitars with coil split/tap capability. I was merely replying to american cheez’ comment regarding his suggestion of just getting a PCB. Personally, I’m happy with my Standard 50 the way it is. But I agree with FZ, if one were to try to get coil tap, it’d be easier to just get new pickups. Or better yet, if someone wants a guitar with coil splitting capabilities, they can get Les Paul Classic, which are amazing.