Gibson Brands Forums

Poor quality cases

sunking101

I bought a new Standard a week or two ago and noticed that the hardcsse had several imperfections. There were ugly seams here & there, bits of something glued underneath the tolex, stitching threads hanging out and the dealbreaker -  a small tear in the tolex.

I took the case back yesterday and after an awkward discussion I managed to get a replacement. I checked it over and decided it was OK before I left. Anyway today I have noticed that on the right of the latch on the RHS of the handle, where the tolex is glued in that curved area, the tolex isn't pressed down correctly and isn't glued down properly. There is a gap and I suspect that the tolex itself isn't long enough to push down and follow the curve. Also, the front latch doesn't line up properly. It works, for now, but there is additional strain put on it due to the two parts not meeting up straight. 

These kind of things bug me! You cannot buy a proper brown hardcase from Gibson, just the cheap-looking 'Gibson Gear' cases and even if you could get one it would be several hundred.  I shouldn't have to live with faults on the case of such an expensive instrument. Oh and before people say that it will get scuffed up soon in normal use....it won't because I leave my Gibson cases at home. They never leave the house.

Hi @sunking101,

I understand your sentiment.  You pay a good chunk of change and expect the smaller pieces of the deal to be of acceptable quality.  I not only understand, I share your sentiment based on what you have described and what you have gone through.  I have not had that experience with the latest cases that come with the USA guitars as the cases I have received have been of good quality - not suffering from the issues you described. 

My only advice to you is that yes, you could share your input on the subject here about quality issues, but in the end, you want something in your hands that makes you happy.  You may have to inquire with Gibson first-hand or the dealer you went through.  That's the only 2 ways about this unfortunately.  Even if I wanted to share my stories of Gibson QC blunders, it's not going to help you or anyone else in the end.  FWIW, I sincerely hope that you get this resolved and you like the guitar first and foremost.  Best wishes! 

14 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Hi @sunking101,

I understand your sentiment.  You pay a good chunk of change and expect the smaller pieces of the deal to be of acceptable quality.  I not only understand, I share your sentiment based on what you have described and what you have gone through.  I have not had that experience with the latest cases that come with the USA guitars as the cases I have received have been of good quality - not suffering from the issues you described. 

My only advice to you is that yes, you could share your input on the subject here about quality issues, but in the end, you want something in your hands that makes you happy.  You may have to inquire with Gibson first-hand or the dealer you went through.  That's the only 2 ways about this unfortunately.  Even if I wanted to share my stories of Gibson QC blunders, it's not going to help you or anyone else in the end.  FWIW, I sincerely hope that you get this resolved and you like the guitar first and foremost.  Best wishes! 

Thanks  Chris. I drove 1.5 hrs yesterday to exchange this case and thought I had a good one. I'm wondering now if the dealer will even give me another exchange seeing as I left with this yesterday seemingly happy? It's such an awkward thing too, I hate taking stuff back and complaining. The guitar is great by the way!

7 minutes ago, sunking101 said:

Thanks  Chris. I drove 1.5 hrs yesterday to exchange this case and thought I had a good one. I'm wondering now if the dealer will even give me another exchange seeing as I left with this yesterday seemingly happy? It's such an awkward thing too, I hate taking stuff back and complaining. The guitar is great by the way!

Well, glad you're happy with the guitar.  I know it feels awkward, but you have the money, you're the one hosting the party if you follow what I'm saying.  Not saying to be uncivil here, but be happy with the money you doled out for your Gibby.  I would do the same thing you did first too - talk to dealer.  Hope it doesn't get this far, but I would simply return the thing if it was a deal breaker - the poor case that is.  Some may think that turning in a guitar because the case isn't up to par is a bit extreme, but again, your money, you should be happy with what you bought. 

Negotiate maybe?  I know GC itemizes the cases when you buy a new guitar...  Maybe upgrade to a Custom Shop historic case...  Those are very nice and IMHO better than the USA cases.  Not that the USA cases are garbage, but just a thought... 

Best of luck.  If you have opportunity to get the thing off your hands with the return of your funds, then take advantage of it.  IME, be nice and use all the leverage you need to to get your money's worth. 

that's too bad..  I just had a bit of a go around with a Gator Deluxe case.    Check this thread below.

I've a few other gator cases and they were pretty good, in fact very happy.. but that Gator Deluxe, NOPE..  Too bad b/c it really looked like a nice case.

Good luck and I think I'd be a bit irked too.

There are 2 types of flaws for cases, just like there are for guitars.  Cosmetic and functional.  And as with both, I don't have much concern with former but 100% concern about the latter.  Even more for a case, though.  So a tear is almost inconsequential to me, but latch fit is critical.  Now what I have noticed is poor fits of the guitars to the cases, and I'm talking about OEM cases of various makes made for specific guitars, not even multiple use cases.   I don't understand why anyone looks at, and evaluates a case based on cosmetics without even checking the fit.  Same guys do the same things with guitars, nit pick them for cosmetics and decide to keep or return without even playing them.  To me, that's insane.

Anyway, by proper fit, the guitar should be properly supported and held immobile so it cannot move at all in *any* direction.  This evaluation cannot be done simply by looking at the guitar in the case.  I have found too many cases that don't have a proper fit.  That's what I think is of concern.

• Like 1

I would write up a good statement of your situation and hound Gibson Customer Service until they send you a suitable replacement. You shell out the bucks for a Les Paul Standard it should come with a case that represents that level of spending. Include pictures of the flaws.

Edited by SGgypsyboy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sunking101 said:

Well I drove back to the shop and with reluctance they opened two LP boxes for me to inspect the cases. The first was terrible, it actually had a rip in the tolex and the second was overall no better than mine so I came away with my original case.... 😕

Aren't their cases made in Canada, if I remember correctly?

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Aren't their cases made in Canada, if I remember correctly?

Yes, except for certain years when they had batches made by a contractor in Costa Rica. I have one of those that came with my 2011 SG Standard Ltd. It weighs twice as much as the Canadian versions and seems twice as sturdy. I think it's a 7 ply shell versus the regular 5 ply. I have read that the Canadian cases are made by TKL.

Edited by SGgypsyboy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 9:41 PM, SteveFord said:

Calling RCT, RCT your assistance is required in the Gibson USA section...

If you really want someone’s attention, use the @ before their screen name. Like @SteveFord  You are going to get notified because I quoted you, but I would hope that if I didn’t, you would because I called you out via screen name with the @ control character. Hope this helps you get @rct

5 hours ago, rct said:

I keep my guitars in a pile on the basement floor and my cases on stands in the living room.

rct

That wasn't mine.  The original:

"I keep my guitars under a tarp in the back yard and my cases on stands in the lounge".

A lawyer from Sass Ka Toon Sass Catch A Juan Canada.  Very long time ago, in old usenet newsgroups.

rct

• 2 years later...

I recently purchased a custom shop LP. The case it came with is absolutely horrible. you would think a Custom Shop would come with a better case. One of the latches doesn't even close all the way without forcing it. Gibson is using latches that used to be on cheap cardboard cases 50 years ago. The walls of the case are thin and is cheaply constructed. What happened to Gibson quality? This is obviously a corporate business decision to cut costs somewhere by a bean counter who doesn't play the instrument.  Bottom line over made in USA quality. Poor decision Gibson.

17 hours ago, Bob Gore said:

I recently purchased a custom shop LP. The case it came with is absolutely horrible. you would think a Custom Shop would come with a better case. One of the latches doesn't even close all the way without forcing it. Gibson is using latches that used to be on cheap cardboard cases 50 years ago. The walls of the case are thin and is cheaply constructed. What happened to Gibson quality? This is obviously a corporate business decision to cut costs somewhere by a bean counter who doesn't play the instrument.  Bottom line over made in USA quality. Poor decision Gibson.

I assume this is a new guitar. Where was the case made? 

20 hours ago, Bob Gore said:

Was it a new guitar?  I just bought my umpteenth Les Paul, a 2022, and the case was the same as the rest of them were, quality-wise.  TKL, made in Canada, like the older ones.  The latches are different on the new one.  I like them. 

The brown case that came with my ‘22 Les Paul Special is perfect and nicely made in Costa Rica.

Latches are robust and case covering is flawless.

Smell inside is awesome

too!

I suspect, just like the guitar inside, some will be duds.