Gibson Brands Forums

335 is better than Les Paul

Mr. Robot

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think the whole argument over which guitar is more versatile is moot. Les Pauls and 335s sound different from each other as do Strats and Teles; the difference in sound between the Gibsons and the difference between the Fenders is lost on most listeners but, as guitar players, we do hear the differences and pick the right tool for whatever the job is. That's why we own multiple guitars in the first place.

I like the ES 335 better, but I've always felt Pauls were a little Overrated, and Overpriced. And ES-337 plays Metal and all, so I'd have to change things up a little and say the ES 337 is the Best Gibson.

Strats, of course, are too different and should only be compared to guitars with single coil Pick Ups. But I will say, I get more compliments on my Strat from the Girls in the audience, guys tend to like my Nighthawk (Small audiences but still...)

Another little interesting point, The Nighthawk is the most Versitile guitar Gibson ever produced, and it was not widely accepted. Unless you're in a cover band, I'm not sure Versatility is as important as the Tone the guitarist is comfortable with.

Okay' date=' NO FAIR!

How many of you LP guys have actually PLAYED a 335?

I mean really played one through a good tube amp and explored it? [/quote']

Oh, Bugger It!

I hadn't thought that one through enough.

Yes I've played quite a few and indeed my neighbour has a '70s one I noodle with quite a lot but not exhaustively and the rest just didn't feel right but;

Okay, now it's my turn to say NO FAIR!

27 years; 27 years of searching it took for me to find my LP and now it seems, to be fair, I will have to find another 27 years to live in my quest for the 'perfect' 335.............just to give it an equal crack of the whip, you understand!!!

OK, NeoConMan : I'm game if my God is!

.... Yeah, I shouldn't, but I will...

Actually I think both Gibsons, assuming the same fingerboard and essential neck configurations (which vary, of course, even instrument to instrument, let alone "manufacturing era") are quite versatile, as is any Gibson fingerboard and standard scale.

It's a matter of which instrument "fits" the player. I'm in love with the 175 design and I'm quite comfortable with the 335 design and not terribly comfortable with the LP.

And my bod <grin> is far from that of BB. I'm shrinking a bit in old age, so figure 5-9 and only a couple of pounds over 160.

The Fenders, due to the fingerboard radius, are to me far less versatile than nearly any Gibbie.

As for the Humbucker vs P90... I'm considering doing a single pole "add on" to my own 335 clone.

Sound versatility? Heck, I see no reason why just about any Gibbie couldn't do anything from classical to metal, especially given the sound shaping qualities of modern electronics.

Back to the Fender... some good players can make them into Jazz guitars, mostly "single string" variety of playing; there's no reason they're not great for certain blues playing styles, country.... (heck, Roy Buchanan could do it all in terms of mostly single-string playing, and Joe Pass did some nice stuff on the Fender before he started doing entirely solo work and went with a 175 shape Gibbie.)

I personally don't care for the LP shape. The neck seems too long. But then, so does the SG shape and what it does to my comfort zone. Either is preferable to me than any "F" guitar.

Now... i reckon the 335 is a better guitar because:

The replies are not unexpected. If you see your guitars as "boys' (or girls') toys" you may well have one point of view. For example, there are many reasons why a 20 year old buying their first real guitar might want a les paul. As they walk into the store, salivating, are they thinking "versatile"? Er.......no.

However, if you are, or have ever, made your living from delivering what others hear in their heads, then you may well think that the ES-335 is truly a sensational guitar.

Not "Better' date='" just different! Everyone should have 1 (at least) of each...and and SG, too! ;>)

CB[/quote']

Just different is true.But you gotta have a Les Paul too and an SG.They are all differnt

in tone.And my Firebird gives me a different tone again.

Variety is spice of music.

However the ES335 is totally versatile: from sweet blues a la BB to rock a la

Clapton and Alvin Lee!

But still gotta have them all.

Just musical tools people . . . just musical tools.

Though not a 335, my 355 is an absolute tone monster and though I don't own an LP yet, I've played plenty of LPs and the 355 is still the tone monster of the two. You try to get too dirty with a 335 and you'll run into feedback issues. The LP however will likely play a wider variety of music than a 335/355 but so will my Strat so both are more versatile and hence to me more useful tools. My favorite guitar is my Carvin CS6 and I don't think getting my eventual LP will change that opinion. With coil splitters, a tung oiled neck, and the really different warm dark tone of that KOA top, it is simply SAAWEET. <= Start flaming here!

They're all just musical tools though, folks. Each having its own inherent strengths and weaknesses. Kinda one of those apples to oranges to kiwis to bananas comparisons, IMO. All musical fruit to be sure though and they all taste good to me.

NeoConMan:

I own a 335' date=' and not an LP. I do own a Strat and accept the versatility argument, but it doesn't sound nearly as good as a 335 for most applications. [/quote']

If I had to choose and keep only two of my guitars

it would be the ES335 and the Clapton Strat!

I figured' date=' if we are gonna have a blue, at least lets have it over a guitar rather than politics. Apologies to all my beloved Gibson friends for the Obama entry last week.:)

Now... i reckon the 335 is a better guitar because:

-it is more versatile

-it can be used for jazz, blues, rock

-it has better sustain

-it isnt as bloody heavy

-it has a better tone

-it has a nicer neck

-it is more of a classic...

[/quote']

Let's explore that...

"-it is more versatile" this is a totally subjective statement. I find I can get more out of my LP than a 335...but I'm sure there are just as many 335 owners that could say the same.

"-it can be used for jazz, blues, rock" as can a LP...ie Al DiMeola (jazz), Gary Moore (blues), Jimmy Page (rock).

"-it has better sustain" totally dependent on the acoustics of the room, type of amp, etc. I've been able to get as much or more sustain than some ES owners I've played with.

"-it isnt as bloody heavy" not a true statement. I've seen the weights for the 335 go from 8.3 to 8.9 lbs. Likewise I've seen LP's go from 8.5 to 9 lbs. Not exactly "bloody heavy" in comparison.

"-it has a better tone" depends on your ear. I think my '59 LP R9 has better tone. It totally depends on the person.

"-it has a nicer neck" I like the neck on my R9 better than any other electric I've played to date...and I've played many.

"-it is more of a classic..." HUH? The first LP came out in 1952, the first ES-335 came out in 1958...you do the math.

Ultimately it comes down to which guitar does it for you. Only the individual can make that decision.

• 2 years later...

If I had to choose and keep only two of my guitars

it would be the ES335 and the Clapton Strat!

I own the same two electric guitars and prefer the ES335 to the Strat any day. I do need some advice. I have a hard time keeping the Gibson in tune. It is a 1981 Dot Reissue. I have had it professionally set up, the tuners have been cleaned and do work. But I'm wondering if tuners that old could be the problem. gtucker2@msn.com for email reply

RE: tuners...

1. Age of strings? Too new and not stretched or too old and unstable and/or dirty?

2. Bridge loose anywhere?

3. You didn't say specifically what tuners you have, but there should be means of tightening them a bit.

4. This time of year a lotta guitars have problems staying in tune, depending...

m

Tuning problems largely stem from the nut. Your slots may just need lubed or they may require some filing. Chances are your strings are just binding.

Also make sure you're locking your strings correctly when winding on the posts.

And always and I do mean always tune upwards.

Hope this helps.

Archived