Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Visited some graves today.  My dad, Navy WWII, on the carrier Yorktown when it was hit at Midway, on the Enterprise at Leyte Gulf and Battle of The Phillipine Sea.  At Midway he was working on the radio of a torpedo bomber when they first got hit and it blew-out his left eardrum.   So after he recovered, even though he couldn’t hear well, they transferred him to the Enterprise where he repaired radar and read maps.....lol.......My dad didn’t speak about the war unless you asked him.  My uncle Fred was in Patton’s 3rd Army when it relieved Bastogne (he told some great stories)..  My uncle Sal was wounded in Korea in some village he said he could never pronounce the name of.  When the three were together, me and my cousins would just sit there and listen. ......   Always a sad and also an exhilarating holiday.  Lots to be sad and proud of.  ....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Just sitting here wondering what happened to Navy Vet.. ?

He PM'ed me a while back and told me I said something on a post that was not directed to him that made him so mad he left the forum. I have no clue what I said. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

54 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Visited some graves today.  My dad, Navy WWII, on the carrier Yorktown when it was hit at Midway, on the Enterprise at Leyte Gulf and Battle of The Phillipine Sea.  At Midway he was working on the radio of a torpedo bomber when they first got hit and it blew-out his left eardrum.   So after he recovered, even though he couldn’t hear well, they transferred him to the Enterprise where he repaired radar and read maps.....lol.......My dad didn’t speak about the war unless you asked him.  My uncle Fred was in Patton’s 3rd Army when it relieved Bastogne (he told some great stories)..  My uncle Sal was wounded in Korea in some village he said he could never pronounce the name of.  When the three were together, me and my cousins would just sit there and listen. ......   Always a sad and also an exhilarating holiday.  Lots to be sad and proud of.  ....

Similar to my early years. My father - US Army, was in every country in Europe as  SSgt.  One uncle - Infantry ground pounder in Europe as well.  One uncle POW shot down and wounded also in Europe. The three would occasionally get together over a few beers in Brooklyn.  We cousins didn't eavesdrop.  One more  uncle - PFC, wounded in Saipan. Died in a hospital in Hawaii.  We owe them more than words can ever express. 

• Like 1

I like the 4 essential food groups

1. Coffee (or tea) because life doesn't exist without it
  2. Chocolate - no explanation needed
  3. Pizza - balanced grain, fruit (tomato), dairy, and meat in one dish
  4. Everything else goes in this group.

Oh, and what did I do today, worked on those Band-in-a-Box files and spent a lot of time with my Sunshine (wife)

Edited by Notes_Norton

Had to do some stuff up my brothers' way.  Stopped at Cracker Barrel and picked up a big box of fried chicken and all the junk to go with it.  Surprised Mrs.  Our first meal in...73 days that I did not plan, buy the stuff, and make.  We are gloriously stuffed with chicken.

rct

46 minutes ago, rct said:

Had to do some stuff up my brothers' way.  Stopped at Cracker Barrel and picked up a big box of fried chicken and all the junk to go with it.  Surprised Mrs.  Our first meal in...73 days that I did not plan, buy the stuff, and make.  We are gloriously stuffed with chicken.

rct

👍

Their Country Boy breakfast ain't no joke.

New strings on the 12'er.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Went to town to get 2 cycle oil,bar oil so I can get back to cutting down dead trees, stopped by the grocery store to get a few things,as I walked down one aisle saw an envelope, picked it up and saw there was 300.00 in it with a bank receipt with only a partial account number and balance of 5.19, gave it to a friend who works there and she gave it to the manager who was gonna check the video,they'll figure it out and give it to the owner. Other than that I came home and knocked down 4 of those trees,my friend who burns wood is coming tomorrow to cut it up and haul it away. 

Went out for our first lunch in several months, It felt weird. We were supposed to wear masks in, The salad bar? We had to tell them what we wanted on the plate, on the other side of the bar while 2 people who worked there prepared it with gloves and masks on. Just not the same as before. Today I I worked with the sprinkler guy most afternoon while he replaced some broken parts. Mostly, I had to show him where everything was located at. At least we have water to the lawn again. 

23 minutes ago, Retired said:

Went out for our first lunch in several months, It felt weird. We were supposed to wear masks in, The salad bar? We had to tell them what we wanted on the plate, on the other side of the bar while 2 people who worked there prepared it with gloves and masks on. Just not the same as before. Today I I worked with the sprinkler guy most afternoon while he replaced some broken parts. Mostly, I had to show him where everything was located at. At least we have water to the lawn again. 

How do you eat lunch with a mask on?

On 5/25/2020 at 8:49 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

A lot of the generations of vets way before my time don't like talking about it. I had great times in the service, but being in the Persian Gulf was not one of them.

My son was in the Navy for 6 years, He served twice in the Persian Gulf for a total of 2 years. He hated it too but mostly because of the heat. He did come back telling me stories. 

One I remember about some pirates attacking their mine sweeping boat, and there were several Navy ships in that area. So they called to a destroyer nearby, and that pirate ship seemed to disappear in thin air, LOL.  I had to laugh and shake my head, What idiots on a small boat would try to attack Naval ships?  Well, guess Pirates, Haha.  

18 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How do you eat lunch with a mask on?

Oh, We just had to walk in with them on and order the food, then we could take them off to eat. All the people working had masks on and gloves. Yeah, I thought it was dumb as customers but Deb and I had them on coming in to the restaurant. Once we sat down we didn't have to have them on. 

Just ran through the set and new songs ahead of rehearsal tomorrow - playing on bass players deck and hopefully sunny so we get a little crowd of locals and feels a bit like a gig. Hoped to go see another ex band mates new band rehearse at his place this afternoon but unfortunately they had work commitments. Next time hopefully - need...live...music!!

Gonna go get a cup of Coffee at Sbucks just to get out of the house.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Turned 58 today,grilled chicken and potatoes with Mara's fantastic homemade carrot cake for supper. No finer feast.

Nice. Happy Birthday.

28 minutes ago, jvi said:

watched violence on the news... SO SAD   SO BAD   WHERE IS PEACE AND LOVE ?

Let's ask Ringo.

But remember when someone breaks into your house or steals your car, don't call the cops call a looter, they will sort it all out.  What happened was beyond wrong.

I just did it ---------------------------------- Thread Lock.

In 5,4,3,2.................................?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Let's ask Ringo.

But remember when someone breaks into your house or steals your car, don't call the cops call a looter, they will sort it all out.  What happened was beyond wrong.

I just did it ---------------------------------- Thread Lock.

In 5,4,3,2.................................?

quit posting so much

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jvi said:

quit posting so much

Buy a Canadian guitar. Or get on a Canadian guitar forum.

You have a new title Royal Mounted Canadian Thread Police.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper