Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

9 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Worked, drove to town for exercise walk, drinks with father in law next door... Only difference between now and before C19 is that I work at home and then drive to town for my walk (just cos I prefer track in town, plus can go see mum occasionally whilst in town). Probably keep it like this after the restrictions are lifted I reckon.

Dig, we are waging war on the nut grass so we can build a rose garden for my wife. It's diehard that stuff!

You might be able to get a selective herbicide that will take that and leave the rest?

Is that whats sometimes known as onion grass?

8 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

I'm trying to learn fingerpicking any advice would be most helpful. I do some picking when I'm playing songs,but I just want to pick away sitting down with no particular place to go.

Practice practice practice

then play a shovel

10 hours ago, saturn said:

We were booming around here right up until St Paddy's Day. I hope these places come back. We had gotten to be really close with the owners/managers and staff. And that's just the small acoustic venues. My other band played bigger, fancier places up North of Baltimore. Some of those gigs have been tentatively moved out to later summer or fall. Fingers crossed. 

Hope yours come back.

Thank you and I hope your town gets back as well.  The Harbor?  Probably not so much, and that's a shame.  That mall on the corner has struggled for decades now, I can't see it living through this.  The big hotel there we stay at had it's share of troubles for as long as we've been going there.  The convention center is a hospital now i think I read somewhere?  I hope the AVAM makes it.

rct

6 hours ago, Pinch said:

Well, with a runny nose I'm not going anywhere. Normally I wouldn't have given it a second thought but, of course, there's no "normal" these days. 

Couldn't that idiot have eaten something other than f-cking BAT SOUP?!?! 

Seriously pissed off and sick of all this! 

Hang in there brother.  This too will pass.

rct

17 hours ago, rct said:

Hang in there brother.  This too will pass.

rct

Better today. With all this paranoia, you turn hyper-vigilant. It's not myself I think about, but those around me. It twists your mind after a while, especially since it's the topic of, like, every conversation. 

And it's the common-cold season. How are you to know if a sniffle you would've hardly noticed is just a sniffle, you know? 

These are weird times. 

What did I do today?  Drive-through at Starbuck's for breakfast.  A group FaceTime with my daughter across the state and my son across town.  A little bit of laundry.  Probably a take-out lunch from my favorite sports bar/cafe that is open now for take-out only..  Next, a cigar in the backyard, a nap, and then, who knows....

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 4:04 PM, Tman said:

Would be cool. I've worked at an outpatient center in Tempe but never a hospital in AZ. Know a lot of folks who have, just not guitar players. If you're ever out to LA!.....

Yup, if I head that way I'll be sure to look you up. Same for you, too.

This working full-time stuff has been hard on this old dog. I'm exhausted and didn't even check my email all week. I looked at my checking account online this morning and wondered why it had so much money in it. Then I remembered I didn't drive down to the mailbox all week either. It's probably loaded with bills that need to be paid. LOL Oh well, I'm going to wait until Saturday's mail comes so I can get the whole batch. I seriously need to get in some guitar time now.

It's good to read that everyone is hanging in there. I hope we're on the downside of the curve now.

Stay well, friends!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, labomba said:

Nice 👍 

That one is about 10 feet from me. Its the one I leave in LR. $750 used from GC, and it is in killer condition, and its a '17.  No case but $60 later, I had a Geib knockoff.

CSNY are back in NN, VA.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

You get rid of the old couch or just put a cover over it?

(I loved that couch....)

The black one is a Futon in my man cave in VA. The other pics of my guitars are on a gold couch out in the living room in VA.  Now I'm in Little River, SC and the couch here is light tan.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That one is about 10 feet from me. Its the one I leave in LR. $750 used from GC, and it is in killer condition, and its a '17.  No case but $60 later, I had a Geib knockoff.

CSNY are back in NN, VA.

Looks in fine condition

Thought they were there beginning of last month. They back? don’t know if you heard but Mcmasters is opening the beach next week

Edited by labomba

I actually did some guitar work today.. Been so unmotivated recently but forced myself to at least do this...

My new lockdown workbench  🙂

gk3qMZN.jpg

Just needed to inlay these two fretboard for my new builds...

Been a while since I did this but I made THE stupidest mistake ever today, Not sure where my brain was??? I didn't even notice till I had finished.. See if you can spot it :I  Never done that in my whole career. Hey ho.. It happens.

IWA3C41.jpg

So I had to abandon that one (the one I am building for myself) until I get another fretboard.. GRRRRRR

Anyway. So on to the second one.

So what you do is place the inlay down and go around it with a sharp blade

GwPUHnO.jpg

Then you deepen the outline by going over it a few times

P6rOFWF.jpg

Once you have done that. You go around the edge with a (sharp) chisel, You kind of use just a corner. What happens is that the lines you have made give you a nice clean (ish, in my case 🙂 ) line.

pw9iyec.jpg

uRBqXaK.jpg

Then you simply take out the middle , make sure the edges are clean and square and repeat that process a few times. And hey presto

a05t5sl.jpg

Ok its not quite all the way in but these inlays are quite thick so its fine as it all has to be sanded down anyway.

NJYoRJt.jpg

Then do that another nine times and you are done.    Will hopefully finish them tomorrow and not screw up again.. It certainly keeps my mind off things doing stuff like this. 

• Like 1