Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I will say the Martin 15 series guitars are affordable especially used and they sound great.

I will check it out. I shop by line  first, listen to as many as I can and then visit the store. Gives me a better idea. I found some Guilds I like for around $500.00 but I also found the Epiphone Masterbuilt has a great tone. Loved it way over the Humingbird but the cost is higher. So far the Masterbuilt is my first choice. I wrote the Martin 15 down, I'll check it out tomorrow, Thanks Sgt. 

Cleaned up the back yard from the last rain storm. Tree debris everywhere. Sick and tired of bending over and over again so I had the wife order me one of those kitchen  extension pistol grip tools with suction cups on the end. Now when it comes in, I can stand upright and grab ahold of a stick, bean pod or leaf and throw it right in the trash. If all goes well, we might order 2 more, one for each grandkid.  Haha.  I could have a race, The one who picks up the most gets $5.00, and then sit down and watch. 

• Like 2

Checked tracking on my D-35. It left someplace called New Philadelphia in Ohio. I guess there was something wrong with Old Philadelphia and it needed a reboot? USPS says the 16th. My B-day is the 19th, so hopefully happy early birthday to me.

And I'm at work.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

I don't feel that way with my SJ200, not heavy really..  and that's about as Jumbo as an acoustic can get.

I have a very old OG2N Oscar Schmidt Deb bought me around 40 years ago. It really looks nice but the bridge has been pulled up about 3/8" and they finally have a guitar repair shop here. Thought about taking it there and asking if it is worth fixing? I know she only paid about $300.00 for it back then. I would love to hear what it sounds like though. It's a jumbo and very very light. The fretboard looks Ebony, Black as coals. Hasn't been played in about 35 years.  Dang Kidblast,  thats a gorgeous Gibson. Over $4,000. worth?  I'd get shot with one of my guns if I paid that much for a guitar. Haha. Deb just walked in and saw me typing and nodded her head Yes! "Yep, that right over there she said." 

9 minutes ago, Retired said:

I have a very old OG2N Oscar Schmidt Deb bought me around 40 years ago. It really looks nice but the bridge has been pulled up about 3/8" and they finally have a guitar repair shop here. Thought about taking it there and asking if it is worth fixing? I know she only paid about $300.00 for it back then. I would love to hear what it sounds like though. It's a jumbo and very very light. The fretboard looks Ebony, Black as coals. Hasn't been played in about 35 years.  Dang Kidblast,  thats a gorgeous Gibson. Over $4,000. worth?  I'd get shot with one of my guns if I paid that much for a guitar. Haha. Deb just walked in and saw me typing and nodded her head Yes! "Yep, that right over there she said." 

haha!  So at least you have an idea where her indented target area is..  now you can work on your agility and evasive maneuvers.. 

but ya.. It was and still is the most money I ever spent on Guitar.    not a single regret tho.  I love it

• Like 1

Played my regular Wednesday gig today.  Pretty nice out on the patio.  They’re hoping the county allows them to go to “full seating” in a few weeks.  I’ll go back inside then.  Also, heard from Caribou coffee yesterday.  They’ve had people ask when the Friday music is coming back.  They said they can’t give me a definite date yet, but they wanted me know they’re working on something.  Good news all around!  ......AND, I’m hoping for some time soon to actually do some recording with my new J200.  Haven’t gigged with it yet.   Waiting until I’m inside.

9 hours ago, kidblast said:

haha!  So at least you have an idea where her indented target area is..  now you can work on your agility and evasive maneuvers.. 

but ya.. It was and still is the most money I ever spent on Guitar.    not a single regret tho.  I love it

I would love it also, I always have loved the Gibson name. I'm very lucky I got the Gold Top as cheap as I did. That was one in a million. After I retired and just happened to walk in GC at the right moment, There was no way I was going to pass on it. When I got home, I had some explaining to do but I told Deb who herself loves a great deal, I just got a $4,500.00 guitar for $1,400.00 and I wasn't going to walk away from  that. Besides, I told her; "I gave up around 13 guitars when I married her and Drag Racing so she can just turn her head if she didn't like it.  

She was all for the guitar and no problems. 

8 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

That's what I did when I was shopping for a low price acoustic.  Out of all the guitars I tried, the Ovation had the best combination of sound and playability.  Unfortunately that one didn't fit in my flight case, so I had to go with my second choice - a Fender T-Bucket.  Not a bad guitar but it's a shame about that Ovation not fitting my case. 

Really,  Ovation?  When I was a teen, I had a Ovation 12 string that I just loved and played all the time.  When I retired from BNSF RR I bought a $100.00 Fender acoustic and played the crap out of it. Sold it for $100.00 about 3 to 4 years later and bought a Ovation Celebrity Plus with a Koa Burst top. Yeah, I can't complain about the tone.  I pretty much keep it D-Tuned for when I play American Woman. The introduction part. 

You got it, Thats how I got the 9 guitars I have now. See, You just have to use ingenuity.  Deb says I'm very creative and here's what I tell her. "You need multiple guitars for different songs. Just like the pros on stage. Ever notice how they grab different  guitars for different songs? Many songs require different tunings and I don't have the time to retune for each different song. So I told her, Thats why I need to put one on the rack and grab another one. So I play the intro to American Woman with my Ovation, and set it down and pick up an Electric and play the next part." Then if you play Rocky Mountain Way, You need another electric guitar already tuned for that song.   Heh, It works for me!

We have Reagan all day tomorrow. 3 years old and she is a doll.  When she was one, she was totally frightened  of our Doberman, and now they are best friends.  I got the yard all cleaned today, chipped my front tooth somehow?  So back to the dentist again.

Pheasant hunters calling and beating on my door so they can slay pheasants on my land. Ain't happening,let the birds alone ain't hurting anybody and they're beautiful to look at. Buy your own land and hunt that. Every year I go through this bs. No hunting sign means no hunting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Pheasant hunters calling and beating on my door so they can slay pheasants on my land. Ain't happening,let the birds alone ain't hurting anybody and they're beautiful to look at. Buy your own land and hunt that. Every year I go through this bs. No hunting sign means no hunting.

Maybe add a sign that says "NO PHEASANT HUNTING - EVER".

You'd think "NO HUNTING" should be clear enough, though. 

On 10/14/2020 at 10:40 PM, Retired said:

You got it, Thats how I got the 9 guitars I have now. See, You just have to use ingenuity.  Deb says I'm very creative and here's what I tell her. "You need multiple guitars for different songs. Just like the pros on stage. Ever notice how they grab different  guitars for different songs? Many songs require different tunings and I don't have the time to retune for each different song. So I told her, Thats why I need to put one on the rack and grab another one. So I play the intro to American Woman with my Ovation, and set it down and pick up an Electric and play the next part." Then if you play Rocky Mountain Way, You need another electric guitar already tuned for that song.   Heh, It works for me!

That Mini Etune must have given you more than a few uneasy moments.  What if she finds out you can press a button?

5 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

We had No Hunting signs everywhere on the fence line at our farm in SD. Pheasants were everywhere the few times we went up there. Hunters not only violated the signs, they broke into the house many times and stole all the brass beds and whatever they wanted. We knew it was hunters because the idiots left us a letter on the dinning room table telling us they were. Since no one lived there daily, they got away with it.  Post signs that say," Long hair freaky hunters will all be shot on sight. " See if that helps. Lol

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

That Mini Etune must have given you more than a few uneasy moments.  What if she finds out you can press a button?

Haha, Actually I only play with 3 different tunnings so Then I told her, It's not true, that all guitars sound the same. So I need different tones. The Vintage Jaguar to play just surf songs and so forth. Lol. 

5 hours ago, Pinch said:

Maybe add a sign that says "NO PHEASANT HUNTING - EVER".

You'd think "NO HUNTING" should be clear enough, though. 

Well tonight I had one walking behind me while I was moving bales with the skid steer. Finally I stopped and he asked, I said its for somebody else to hunt,which is the truth. My friend Dan has that PAD in his legs and can't walk far anymore,so it's his to hunt. Besides he does all my electrical for free as he is a master electrician with his own business. He'll only take a couple to eat,and most will live another year instead of 2 pickup loads of hunters killing and wounding most of them.

45 minutes ago, Retired said:

We had No Hunting signs everywhere on the fence line at our farm in SD. Pheasants were everywhere the few times we went up there. Hunters not only violated the signs, they broke into the house many times and stole all the brass beds and whatever they wanted. We knew it was hunters because the idiots left us a letter on the dinning room table telling us they were. Since no one lived there daily, they got away with it.  Post signs that say," Long hair freaky hunters will all be shot on sight. " See if that helps. Lol

Well if I get mad or put a sign up like that,I wouldn't put it past some of these guys to drive by and light my hay on fire. When people have guns,you have to hold your temper, people are funny and they're all strangers so who knows.

I had taken a cup of warm milk to bed, but fell asleep before drinking it. So I wake in the night to a wet mattress. I tried cleaning it with soap & bicarbonate of soda. Unusable for at least a day now. Will need to sleep elsewhere.

Also poured 'unblocking' crystals into kitchen sink. Something wrong with them. They completely blocked up the sink & no water would drain at all. So now cant use bed or sink. I had to unscrew the P trap and clear out the stupid crystals by hand. No new washers to re-install it, so had to use some PTFE tape. Seems ok now, but I'm going to bollock the company that made those crystals.