Gibson Brands Forums

What would you like to see from Gibson?

SteveFord

Being an Acoustic guy I am not into the Aging of guitars to make them look old.  I would like to see as much time devoted to making a new model of acoustic for the future instead of just  rehashing same old models. Spend as much time on new models as you do in making existing models "look"  old. Just my opinion.  Still love the company and the products.

34 minutes ago, kelly campbell said:

Being an Acoustic guy I am not into the Aging of guitars to make them look old.  I would like to see as much time devoted to making a new model of acoustic for the future instead of just  rehashing same old models. Spend as much time on new models as you do in making existing models "look"  old. Just my opinion.  Still love the company and the products.

Yeah, but how many figure 8 shaped and sized guitars can there be?

Yeah fake aging is ____________. (You decide the word for the blank)

All makers now do it so it must sell.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Limited edition Custom Shop reissues:

Les Paul Artisan

Les Paul Custom Black/Purple/Red/Orange Widow

All mahogany Les Paul Custom with no weight relief and gold-plated fittings

L6-S Deluxe

L4-S

ES-175 or ES-775 (an uprated 175) in walnut and mahogany

Super 400 Western Sky

Les Paul Signature

A really well-made custom spec short-scale ES330 or 336 size

The SG-Z

The very limited Gibson Duane Eddy was pretty amazing - apparently many of the original run of 75 guitars were destroyed in the flood

A Ted Nugent Byrdland!

I know, they've done it all (except the last one) before [wink]

Edited by jdgm

A stable relationship with suppliers.  That allows longer model times and not having to keep coming up with some "new" thing that is really just using up odd parts laying around.  Consistent, reliable parts providers that are paid reasonably on time are a good thing.

A better retail model.  We used to have some really nice Gibson stores around.  The half a mil every six months killed them all off, and with it probably a large portion of your business.  Not everybody wants to just go to GC and buy whatever is on the wall.  It isn't fair to guitar players and it really isn't fair to Gibson, but they did it to themselves.

Get away from your past and just make great guitars.  Fukking 59 les pauls have just been done to death.  Not everything has to be period correct vintage authentic iconic blah blah blah.  You, Gibson, know even better than I do, that a whole bunch of them guitars back then just weren't that great.  Make guitars today, for today's guitar players.  They don't give a ratsass about another damn uber schweet 58 RI that is more authentic and more uber schweet than the last 15 versions of 58 RI.  I'm not saying make whacky things that nobody will buy, I'm saying every guitar doesn't have to be a better knock-off of your "best" stuff than the last knock-off of your "best" stuff.

rct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd be quite keen to see Gibson build  some exact and precise (molecularly correct plastic, Japanese elm etc) reproductions of 1980 Ibanez, Aria Pro ll and Tokai copies of the Les Paul Standard. 

Heck, the Custom Shop could even bring out a special edition of relic'd versions of actual Japanese LP copies built to exactly replicate ones played by people we never heard of in bands who never got anywhere!

I'm somewhat surprised Henry J didn't release such a series...maybe he baulked  at the cost of suing himself?....but then again, there just may already be a prototype or two kicking around in the storeroom if they care to check.

Edited by 'Scales

On 1/30/2021 at 6:44 PM, rct said:

A stable relationship with suppliers.  That allows longer model times and not having to keep coming up with some "new" thing that is really just using up odd parts laying around.  Consistent, reliable parts providers that are paid reasonably on time are a good thing.

A better retail model.  We used to have some really nice Gibson stores around.  The half a mil every six months killed them all off, and with it probably a large portion of your business.  Not everybody wants to just go to GC and buy whatever is on the wall.  It isn't fair to guitar players and it really isn't fair to Gibson, but they did it to themselves.

Get away from your past and just make great guitars.  Fukking 59 les pauls have just been done to death.  Not everything has to be period correct vintage authentic iconic blah blah blah.  You, Gibson, know even better than I do, that a whole bunch of them guitars back then just weren't that great.  Make guitars today, for today's guitar players.  They don't give a ratsass about another damn uber schweet 58 RI that is more authentic and more uber schweet than the last 15 versions of 58 RI.  I'm not saying make whacky things that nobody will buy, I'm saying every guitar doesn't have to be a better knock-off of your "best" stuff than the last knock-off of your "best" stuff.

rct

Great points about the relationship with dealers etc...I think they have improved but still a long way to go.

This has been discussed ad nauseam here.    Gibson doesn't produce enough volume to have a dozen acoustics and 2 dozen electrics  in every music store in the US.  They focus on higher volume dealers who commit to doing a good QC Check when they receive the guitar,  keep it in good shape until sold, and provide good service after.   Gibson doesn't force the stores to sell more than they can:  Just stock more than the Mom & Pops can afford.  If you spread yourself too thin - buyers who get a sketchy Gibson come here and blame the manufacturer without looking first to the retailer.  

19 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Our 2 store location Mom & Pop here have started to carry Gibson acoustics again.  But a paltry inventory.  We have a GC and Sam Ash already.  15 minute drive between the 3 of them. 

Any store that will have them I have to drive an hour away to Virginia Beach or farther to Richmond. The SA and GC in Richmond are within a walk across the parking lot of one another.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 1/30/2021 at 4:08 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

How about a forum that doesn't have issues like this:

Screenshot-20210130-160343.png

Anyone else?  I'm getting the same on 2 different android phones and using 2 different browsers. 

Yup, haha!  I had the same issue.  iPhone...  I cleared all the private data to browse "fresh", but still getting this issue you illustrated on my phone's browser.  Not sure if this is a Gibson thing, but nonetheless, this is irritating as I can now only interact here on my PC.  Maybe I'll have less typos - silver lining possibly. 

But thanks for sharing this, I really hope this issue gets resolved. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Yup, haha!  I had the same issue.  iPhone...  I cleared all the private data to browse "fresh", but still getting this issue you illustrated on my phone's browser.  Not sure if this is a Gibson thing, but nonetheless, this is irritating as I can now only interact here on my PC.  Maybe I'll have less typos - silver lining possibly. 

But thanks for sharing this, I really hope this issue gets resolved. 

Yeah on my Ipoo it does that.

• Like 1