Gibson Brands Forums

No gigs.

Mutha

We`ve been in lockdown for so long it`s fuppin` stupid.

Our pubs finally reopen on Monday and I`ve got an agreement for us to play one on a semi regular basis.

We had a jam together twice in the last week and we were feckin` desperate.  Some have not been keeping up to speed.

Somebody took a video of tonight's  jam,  sent it to another and we got booked for a private party for 40 nurses in September.

Eh?  Sure enough we`ll be grand by then but bloody hell.

Two of the four of us (in my band) never really locked-down or isolated. 

The nature of our jobs meant getting up and going to work every single day. 
I might have stayed home and tele-worked five or six times, ever. 

The other two tele-worked their jobs from their homes, exclusively. 
On top of that, the cancerous health issues of periferal family members meant an extra layer of caution when it came to social distancing.  

Still, we managed to have band practice a few times over the past year and a half, and there have been some sporatic side-projects and two-man performances here and there. 

Now we are headed toward a big outdoor sports fest even in September, and it feels like the band is coming apart. 
Personal squabbles, distractions, some occassional indifference, they all add up to a feeling that it's time to re-evaluate where we are as a band. 

I'm going to make sure we put musicians on stage for the sports gig,  as I am the musical director. 
But it may mean showcasing some of our musical partners, and alternating sets of solo and two-man songs, and a fair amount of pre-recorded music.
All of which is okay, because the stage is also Opns ground zero for the event, and there will be a fair amount of speeches and sports-related announcements going on, along with awards ceremonies.  

Feeling sad about my band though.
It feels like we were going on intertia after our drummer died three and a half years ago anyway. 
Maybe it would've been time to hang it up back then, and everyone move in different directions. 

I myself will carry on. 
Rocking and performing isn't a hobby for me. 
It's a passion and life necessity. 
It's in my blood. 
😐

Mutha,  the severity of the lockdown is a function of the place you live.  Sounds like you're in Ireland?   Here, they first floated the idea as a 'Shelter In Place' in San Fransisco, California.  Then, it just grew.  Now, those same places are trying to go back to mandatory masks.      My wife is an RN.  I've worked with hundreds of nurses over the years.  You'd better expect a tough crowd !  If there will be beer bottles present, you might want a Covid Inspired Plexiglass Shield !  G'Luck!!

• Haha 1

There's four nurses in my family and I sorta know what you're talking about FORTY.    They take their work seriously and have no time to waste on people who don't take THEIR work seriously.  So  Mutha's band better be great! 

Whitefang

• Confused 1

We played a few gigs at retirement developments for people gong back 'up north' for the summer. We have gigs booked for next tourist season, including a once-a-week between lunch and dinner (13th season).

Since gigging is my primary occupation, the return of gigs is welcome!

Notes

• Like 1

Two gigs and probably four or five rehearsals in the first half of the year for us here in Oz.  First rehearsal for the second half next weekend (lockdowns permitting). I've been busy so not really complaining but it would be nice to play out again before too much longer. Hope the UK crew here also get some action shortly.

23 hours ago, Mutha said:

Somebody took a video of tonight's  jam,  sent it to another and we got booked for a private party for 40 nurses in September.

Hah!  Our drummer is a Trauma Surgery Nurse.  When that crew comes out to see us in a bar they are just knutz.  We are playing a private party for his surgical group on Friday the 13th in August.  More than a hunnert drunken brawl hospital peoples.  We expect nudity.

rct

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I feel a little guilty, like I'm rubbing it in or something, but in my area we have gigs out the wazoo. 

Between my full band and the acoustic duo/trio I'm playing about at least one gig every week and many weeks 3 and even 4 gigs the same week. It's actually becoming a problem with my wife. She's not into being my groupie and following me to all the shows but then she sits home alone every weekend. As much as I hate to, I think I might have to make this my last year of doing this or my marriage is going to end. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Was informed last night we have to learn some Dolly songs as that is the theme of the party.

They are going to be dressed as her and want the music.

No worries says I but will be delivered Garcia style.

2 hours ago, Mutha said:

Detected infections going up again over there?

Unfortunately, yes.  But hospital people?  Jesus H.

And your posts appear to me like nobody else's posts do.  The upper right corner looks like this:

image.png.334647143c9854c36974fea72a03e2d3.png

The Author button does nothing.  Yours are the only posts that have that.  Weird.

rct

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1