Gibson Brands Forums

How's it hangin' ?

Whitefang

This is a thread I've initiated a few times over the years in other forums.  I notice several in here regularly play in bands that either do no more than jam together and/or play for pay in clubs and bars and such.  Which means you guys utilize the service of a guitar strap.  So what the basic query is....

Just where do you situate your guitar when playing?  Back in the "day" when I was in a band, I found I was most comfortable with the guitar hanging to where my belt buckle was center of the back of my ax.  And since at the time( and usually these days too) I wore my shirts untucked, there was no worry about my belt buckle scratching or gouging my guitar body and finish.

While watching my DVD of he Beatles' movie "A Hard Day's Night" I noticed John, Paul and George had them placed even higher, George looking to be the highest, up around his diaphragm.  Then, back in the early to mid '70's there were several punk and post-punk bands that had guitarists who had their instruments hanging so low as to nearly scrape the floor( their bending over to reach the neck and strings didn't help).  So, when it comes to YOUR guitar....

How's it hangin'?  

Whitefang

I never really thought about it.

I see guys playing guitars REAL low....I think they think it looks cool...and maybe it does....but it doesn't seem to the best place to play for comfort.

Real high seems more comfortable.

I have straps for all my guitars, but I rarely play standing up... so the guitar rests on my thigh.

I see many classical players hold the guitar between their legs as they sit.... again, that doesn't seem comfortable....but I doubt they do it for the visuals....so maybe it is.

I like them worn up higher verses lower.   the older I get, the higher I like it!

my hands and wrists are at a far more comfortable position enabling me to reach things (stretch) with ease that a lower strung strap would not.

I have smallish hands, so I need all the advantage on positional settings that I can get.

I use a strap when I'm seated too.   and I use a NECKUP strap when I'm seated with an acoustic,  it really helps to keep the neck at the right angle for me.

I think it's a big deal TBH..  may look cool down low, to the uninitiated, but when ever I see some one doing that I wonder how they are actually able to play comfortably.

Edited by kidblast

I used to wear it high like John, later I wore it super low to look cool.. LOL! Neither were comfortable after a while.

Being a Lead Vocalist I try to visually engage with the Audience & try not to look at the Neck while playing. For me what works best is to put my Strap on while playing in my normal sitting down playing position. I wear it the same standing.. Which is a slight bit above Waist high… It’s always in a consistent position & my hands are able to find their way around the Fretboard better. 

I play sitting to eliminate back strain, but my guitars all have straps which are short to keep the guitars up high on my chest.

Additionally, I tend to play with the guitar tilted with the treble E- string side further away from my body than the bass E-string side, so I can see the fretboard, which makes it easier to lay down those difficult and finger-spraining chords like A minor demolished.

RBSinTo

Well, I didn't really care about what y'all do while seated, but since it's been brought up----

I sit slightly sideways on a stool or armless chair with my acoustic's lower curve over my right leg. Usually at a slight upward tilt.  Now I've mention(and posted) this before,  but since the additional girth I've acquired over the years, I don't stand up and play my acoustic because I wind up looking like I'm playing a guitarron when I do.  [wink]

Whitefang

I usually stand with one foot up on some kind of amp or monitor or something.  I keep the guitar hanging down real low so I have to try to get my body down low to get down there where the guitar is, but then the guitar goes lower and I crouch my head down to get even lower and strum on the neck cause I can't reach the bridge.  I'm making progress.  It's a journey. I'm going for the Keef look.

Keith-Richards-Main1.jpg

Not into ergonomics - but it would seem that the lower you bend over, the lower the guitar will go down.  Mr. RS looks like his is around his knees.

But, somehow, his fretting hand  looks OK.  Can't tell if his wrist is at a 90' angle...  but I guess he knows what he's doing !   Thanks for the pic - gives me hope. 

That pic of Keith up there shows his slight bending over is what makes the guitar look like it's hanging low.  But this old footage will show where Keith used to wear his ax.  And that he didn't always look 50-70 years older than he really was.  [wink]

Whitefang

On 9/30/2021 at 3:30 PM, RBSinTo said:

Age has nothing to do with it.

Actually, age has everything to do with being old 😉

On topic, I guess medium height. I want to hang it lower, but it doesn't really work for me. 

Edited by Pinch
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

A physical therapist showed me one time how much stronger your hands are when they're near your breastbone, like the high-riding guys are, vs. away from your chest, like the low-riders do.  I think that might be part of that whole thing. 

I've had a bad back since I was about 14, (wrestling)....and we used to play4-5 hour gigs (Bay Area Naval Bases).

Doctor told me to put one foot up on something.... (stage monitor or small amp)  that helped me greatly.....I don't play long enough now to warrant doing that, and I mostly play sitting down anyway.