Gibson Brands Forums

Bon Jovi, is it time they gave up?

IanHenry

I saw this on Youtube, and I was shocked at how bad Jon Bon Jovi sounded.  Unless it was a one off bad night, maybe it's time to call it a day:

I always thought Richie Sambora was the real talent in the band.

Edited by IanHenry

Sounds like he's lost a few steps.  For most of us it becomes obvious, what one can pull off at 20 something can become a challenge 40 years later

and yea..

All things end..

even these guys have a shelf life,,  probably got more out of it than they thought they would too.

Edited by kidblast

7 minutes ago, jedzep said:

Ummm, they started out on my list of ten worst bands anyway.  What crappy songs!!

I know,  never a big fan myself.  compared to some of the other bands from that era, they were the least of the lot for me.   And I'm so tired of hearing dead or alive, I can't even find the words.

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

yep, I've never been a fan ...

what about Dawn???  Deb thinks they are the living end, Journey too  (eeesh!)...   you'd think she'd know better, we met in 9th grade lord knows I've tried,,  she's un-trainable.. 

Edited by kidblast

Just now, kidblast said:

what about Danw???  DEb thinks they are the living end, Journey too  (eeesh!)...   you'd think she'd know better, we met in 9th grade lord knows I've tried,,  she's un-trainable.. 

I believe she kinda liked Ritchie Sambora lol

Love 'em or hate 'em they made a lot of money and he was well liked by the ladies.

Usually the record companies played divide and rule; the band split while the lead singer got a big contract.

He didn't do that.   And he stayed married too.   Probably the most extraordinary thing.

I'm not a fan either but "Livin'On A Prayer" and "Always" were perfect songs for teaching diatonic major/minor chord relationships and their effectiveness, thankyou very much.

I always liked a lot of Bon Jovi songs, and my band played Wanted Dead Or Alive to much praise over the years. 
And I'm a fan of Richie Sambora, and his blues guitar skills. 

That said;
John's voice is shot, and his ability to hold pitch is non-existent. 
And Richie can be a real ******-bag sometimes. 
Which is fine, since he doesn't tour with John anymore. 

So. 
To answer the OP's question, uh....    YES. 
It's time they give up. 

🤫

Not a giant fan, we've played them over the years.  But man, they were a bona fide certified Rock Show.  That New Jersey tour was really good, they filled that Spectrum and went hard at it for three plus hours.  Great band.

rct

• Like 1

It's kinda funny to me. I was not a big Bon Jovi or Ritchie Sambora fan. But always did like the song Runaway. The guitar playing is great in that song. It wasn't until recently I learned that it was actually Tim Pierce playing guitar on that track, not Ritchie. Makes sense now. 

What's also funny is that earlier this evening I was part of a group text where one guy sent a link of the exact same video in the OP.

RIchie's voice is still in top form, last I checked. 

John voice 's is not. 
Their performance at the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame demonstrated that much. 

It might be a matter of hearing loss, I guess. 
When you can't hear yourself, you can't hold pitch. 

🤫

I don't care for his music. I've heard he's a nice guy.

I've been friends with a girl for 35 years or so. She is the daughter of one of my best friends (and guitar gurus). She was barely 18 when we first met and I used to tease her, saying she'd never go out with me because I didn't have a Camaro and hated Bon Jovi. It's been a running joke since the 80s.  The fact that I was 10 years older than her and was NOT serious didn't matter, it was all in fun, and she never once took it any other way. Every once in a while I'd say, "I'm going Camaro shopping!" and she knew that was code for "yes, I've still got a crush on you!" She is one of the three girls I knew with that same first name that I named my first daughter after.

Last week she went on vacation to FL and stopped in NC or SC for a couple days along the way. She finally got to see JBJ in concert. She posted pics on facebook and some clearly showed tears in her eyes, she was having such a good time, and finally getting to see someone she had idolized since the big hair days.

I guess if it makes her happy, that makes him okay in my book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Same here. Pop band.

The band that should give it up is Skynyrd.

40 years ago.

Put.

It.

To.

Bed.

Yes, I agree, I went to see Skynyrd a couple of years ago (the first time I'd seen them), and to be honest they were a little boring, musically excellent but boring.  I lost count of how many times they announced that they were the best band in the World, I also found them a bit patronising, displaying an amalgamation of the  the Stars and Stripes and the Union flag on a screen.

Bon Jovi were ok as pop band's go.

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

I don't care for his music. I've heard he's a nice guy.

I've been friends with a girl for 35 years or so. She is the daughter of one of my best friends (and guitar gurus). She was barely 18 when we first met and I used to tease her, saying she'd never go out with me because I didn't have a Camaro and hated Bon Jovi. It's been a running joke since the 80s.  The fact that I was 10 years older than her and was NOT serious didn't matter, it was all in fun, and she never once took it any other way. Every once in a while I'd say, "I'm going Camaro shopping!" and she knew that was code for "yes, I've still got a crush on you!" She is one of the three girls I knew with that same first name that I named my first daughter after.

Last week she went on vacation to FL and stopped in NC or SC for a couple days along the way. She finally got to see JBJ in concert. She posted pics on facebook and some clearly showed tears in her eyes, she was having such a good time, and finally getting to see someone she had idolized since the big hair days.

I guess if it makes her happy, that makes him okay in my book.

JBJ is a decent fella.  He and his wife do quite a bit for people in need.  

if older folks want to keep going, I say, "beauty way to go eh!  if some dont want to see them, then dont- but we shouldnt slag them for keepin on keepin on 

Edited by jvi
content re-word

When you’re young, slim, good looking, at your peak, have the best Equipment, Sound Engrs, playing the top Venues etc & excited to play your Songs that are new Hits or near new Hit Songs to pretty young single Girls that’s a whole different Ball Game..

It’s so easy to criticize… 

Edited by Larsongs

Maybe a change of direction wouldn't hurt.  The long time fans might like to still hear them do the old faves,  But playing pretty much the same set list for 40 years has to be grinding.  And just keeping the same old vibe and sound on new songs can't be satisfying either.   And besides, the old fans might like, or even welcome the new direction. 

Just remember the sentiment in THIS song  from someone who felt a change was needed....

[wink]  Whitefang

2 hours ago, jvi said:

if older folks want to keep going, I say, "beauty way to go eh!  if some dont want to see them, then dont- but we shouldnt slag them for keepin on keepin on 

I've nothing against older acts carrying whilst people are still prepared to pay for it and as long as they (the band) are enjoying it, but in that clip Jon BonJovi just sounds awful.