Gibson Brands Forums

So our drummer is now not happy about playing electronic drums when gigging.

duane v

We made it perfectly clear to him we were not going to be one of those bands that people would need to wear ear plugs, and for those that don't sit within proximity of the band could talk amongst themselves...... This includes outdoor shows.

I paid $1800 for a Roland Electronic Kit and $600 for the Roland Monitor so he wouldn't have to buy one. Now on the eve of our first show he's crying like a little baby (a 50 year old man). ....... So I told him to get lost..... He called to apologize, but I told him we already moved on. 

So..... My wife son that plays drums and he is only 25 came in last night and played like a champ. ..... And he even made programs on the kit to compliment different songs and has no issue playing to a click track...... And I don't have to pay him..... Well just beer. 

12 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

Sounds like he is behaving like a drummer.

lol...

That's fine, but when you make an agreement you stick with it. For crying out loud I was paying the guy $150 a month just to rehearse four times a month two hours each rehearsal, and $150 per show. 

24 minutes ago, duane v said:

lol...

That's fine, but when you make an agreement you stick with it. For crying out loud I was paying the guy $150 a month just to rehearse four times a month two hours each rehearsal, and $150 per show. 

What was he expecting when you made it clear that you guys were going to play at unusually lower levels? With the popularity of wine bars and such, a lot of bands are doing this. If he wants to gig, he might want to consider purchasing his own electric kit.

I cant count how many clubs Ive played  where the barowner  comes up after a few tunes and asks for us to "turn it down".  I  like Elec drums for both live and recording,,its alot  easier to apply effects as well in the overall mix.

Sounds like the right move, Duane V.

Me, I'm a big fan of digital drum kits.
(Roland and Alesis both. Love them.)
I don't have much experience with Simmons, except for their excellent drum amps/monitors.

More control over the sound, excellent dynamics, and unbelievable versatility.

Best of all, MUCH easier to load in and out of the gig, and super simple to direct line them into the PA head.

A lot of drummers insist on using a real acoustic snare with the digital kit, but that adds mic'ing complications and so on.

I'm gonna shut up now.

🙁

Its a sensible solution. Different drummers play at different volumes. Unless its a big enough gig to need everyone micd, the band usually has to match whatever the drummers level is. 

I have always felt that the drummer is the most important part in a band (puts on tin hat). 

I'm in two bands

the drummer for one has been one of my best friends since the late 70s.

the other one is my son (who is no kid at 45 -- yes I'm that old)

they are both MONSTER players!

and.... 

Never is heard, a disparaging word

besides, playing with your son is a gift you can't match, no how, no way.

• Like 2

You made the right move.  I used quite a few jobbers over the years when we had a gig that one band member couldn't make.  I never had to pay them to come over on a weeknight and rehearse.  I was never a big fan of digital drums until I played with a guy that really new how to use them, and then I couldn't imagine ever going back to acoustic ones.  You can just get such a nice well balanced high-fidelity sound.  👍

First experience with V-Drums in 2000 and used the Roland V-drum monitors but also piped them into the house PA.

SbXTc3E.jpg

In 2006 I had a very heavy handed drummer, I was so relieved when he got his V-Drums, he also used 2 Roland drum monitors plus went through our monstrous Mackie PA. Below is outdoors at the Hilo Bayfront.

oV7Bfm9.jpg

Electronic drums are totally about controlling the bands volume.

ie, taking away level control from the drummer

Edited by mihcmac

Mrs. Notes and I play no louder than 85dba unless they ask us to play louder. It is our responsibility not to damage the hearing of our guests. We are the pros, we should know.

We are a duo http://www.s-cats.com and I make my own backing tracks. I can do this because I play sax, wind synth, flute, bass, guitar, drums, keyboard synth, and voice.

My first instrument was drums. In bigger bands, I used to get back on the kit to let the drummer do something else, it's good show biz to have people switching instruments. Now I pre-record them on the +600 backing tracks we have.

There is a difference between acoustic drums and electronic drums. It takes a while to adapt to them as playing style is different, and your expectations of what it will sound like when doing certain things is different.

The advantage is that you can play aggressively at a low volume. On an acoustic kit, the drums don't sound right when playing a hard rock/pop/country song at a low volume. With the electrics, you can hit them hard, and turn the volume down.

Kudos to you for wanting to play at a sane volume level.

Notes ♫

the dude definitely needed to give them a chance.  did he even work with them before the gig?  

time needs to be invested to sort out how to play them.  

when I first tried to get into using a midi guitar, it took a while to get the hang of it,  I kind of hated it at first but I stuck with it and learned how to make the best use out of it.

the results was we had a two guitar band, that some how, had a key board player somewhere in the room.   I didn't learn how to do that over night.  it took months.

7 hours ago, saturn said:

I'm not a drummer, so can't give an opinion. The main complaint I've heard from my drummer friends regarding electronic drums is that the sticks don't bounce off like they do on "real" drums.

This is true, and it was especially so in the early days of the Simmons' kits.
The drum pads and cymbals alike were hard rubber over the electronic triggers, and hitting them was unnatural, like boinking onto  hard plastic.

It's a lot better now, and the drums (snare, toms) all have tight mesh heads.
The drum sticks bounce nicely and naturally off of them.

The cymbals are still an issue, but those are easily adapted to.

The plusses definitely outweigh the minuses, in my humble opinion.
😐

On 5/2/2023 at 11:01 PM, saturn said:

I'm not a drummer, so can't give an opinion. The main complaint I've heard from my drummer friends regarding electronic drums is that the sticks don't bounce off like they do on "real" drums.

They are better than they used to be, but still not quite there. Perhaps they never will be.

There are advantages and disadvantages to them. I prefer acoustic, but for the backing tracks I make for my duo, I use MIDI drums.

There is more than one right way to make music.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫