Gibson Brands Forums

Would You Pay For This?

Video taken on a cell phone of Stevie Nicks recent concert at Hyde Parl London.  I don't know how much the tickets were, but I certainly wouldn't pay to 'see' an act that you literally can't see or if you are lucky you might see a tiny little dot otherwise all you can watch is the screens, you may as well watch it on YouTube.

Not at my age, no. 

I need comfortable seating, and I have to be close enough to see the actual performers. 

And it goes without saying, my smart phone stays in the glove box of my vehicle. 
😉

Edited by sparquelito
  • Like 2

No.

Not at any age.

Spending money to attend a concert, and then be seated (or standing) a parking lot away from the stage is idiotic, and a complete waste of money in my opinion.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

All I can see are cell phones being held up.   Might as well go to an Apple Store. 

Begs the question - if the person in the first row holds his up, getting a good clear picture.  And the person in the second row holds his up and gets a good clear picture OF THE PHONE SCREEN OF THE FIRST ROW GUY ....   would the guy in the 100th row, taking a picture of the guy in the 99th row, get a good clear copy of Row One guy's phone ?? 

• Haha 1

I did it with Elvis in the early ‘70’s. But, not since. Not even when I saw Paul Mc Cartney about 2012. There’s no Band or Artist today I’d pay to just look at a Jumbo Screen.

• Like 1

Nope, but I gave up general admission venues like this decades ago, and even back then I’d skip any arena/ampi concert if I couldn’t get seats within eyeball distance of the stage.  There’s no big stars I even care to see again now, so it’s not much of an issue.  I’m happy in our more intimate theater venues.  There is one, that has two aisle seats on a certain row on the wing sides of the main floor, that because of the angle of the floor, end up absolutely perfect.  Nobody in front of you, and high enough on the main floor slope you are looking comfortably straight on at the whole stage.  We go for them everything we book something.  Because they aren’t “front and center” they are almost always still available in the early tix crush.  

• Like 1

I'm the wrong guy to answer any topic like this, but....

The older I get the less likely I am to be among large amounts of people in big areas. It brings out the worse in humanity,  I don't go to shows like this anymore, so I wouldn't go if she was playing across the street for free.

• Like 2

I am not a concert goer. My wife is always the driving force. We saw Bryan Adams a few years back and the seats were “okay”. Then when we saw Steve Miller I insisted on “better” tickets. Last fall we went to the Grand Ole Opry and sat in the second row. Much better. I will gladly pay the stupid money to get good seats from now on. I only go to a concert every couple years, might as well enjoy it .

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Video taken on a cell phone of Stevie Nicks recent concert at Hyde Parl London.  I don't know how much the tickets were, but I certainly wouldn't pay to 'see' an act that you literally can't see or if you are lucky you might see a tiny little dot otherwise all you can watch is the screens, you may as well watch it on YouTube.

I wouldn’t go see Stevie Nicks if she was playing for free across the street from my house.

Miranda Lambert would have stopped that show and yelled at the crowd for using their phones. 

Love live music, but a 2000 seat theater is about as big as I go now. It has to be someone I really have to see to go to some amphitheater or arena. Last outside show was a few years back to see Ringo’s All Star Band, and before that it was Willie’s Outlaw Fest in 2019, pre-Covid.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

rct,

I think that most of us don't either.

But someone posed the question, so people are weighing in.

RBSinTo

You care what people do if they are doing bad things to you. But if your across the Pond, and not at the show, yeah hold up yer phone up all show. Doesn’t affect me one bit. I can almost hear Stevie’s virtuoso tambourine playing.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Not really. I mean if it was free tickets to the Stones or PearlJam or some such, maybe just to hear it and be there…if I got cheap parking nearby and the weather was nice…perhaps

So far this year for touring bands I’ve seen Dinosaur Jr, and Radio Birdman, and in November will see the Saints 73-78 - all in 700 -1500 audience theatres/venues. That is about enough crowd size for me and you can’t help but be quite close to the band. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You care what people do if they are doing bad things to you. But if your across the Pond, and not at the show, yeah hold up yer phone up all show. Doesn’t affect me one bit. I can almost hear Stevie’s virtuoso tambourine playing.

Chief,

Of course I do, but we weren't speaking about malicious acts, but rather if we care about other people's harmless choices that don't affect us in any way.

And to that I replied I don't care.

RBSinTo

32 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

Of course I do, but we weren't speaking about malicious acts, but rather if we care about other people's harmless choices that don't affect us in any way.

And to that I replied I don't care.

RBSinTo

Yeah the human zoo is funny.

8 hours ago, slimt said:

There are a few bands I would like to see. But this would not be one of those 

Slimt the point that I'm making isn't regarding the band, it's the concert conditions, having to stand so far away that you can't actually see them.  That and the fact that Stevie is babbleing on for ages before starting the song.

5 hours ago, IanHenry said:

Slimt the point that I'm making isn't regarding the band, it's the concert conditions, having to stand so far away that you can't actually see them.  That and the fact that Stevie is babbleing on for ages before starting the song.

Ive been to a few like that.