Gibson Brands Forums

The Song That Inspired You to Start Playing Guitar?

My earliest memories of wanting to make the sound on the Stereo was "Black Dog" by Led Zeppelin. When I recall the story to my parents they say I was about Five. I was at my Gramma's house and I heard the beginning of Black Dog, The part , when it sounds like Page accidentally hit the E string and stops it before Plant sings the opening. I knew I'd one day make that sound.

It wasn't a song specifically. -Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets'. I had an older metalhead cousin that played it for me when I was 11 or 12. A couple months later I had my first rig. -It was this crappy plywood no-name Strat copy from Korea with 1 single coil pickup, and a 10 watt Gorilla amp.

"Surfin' USA"...The Beach Boys! I wanted a guitar, somewhat before that time, but that's the song,

that made me want to really learn to play. Then...when The Beatles showed up, and I heard

"I Saw Her Standing There," and "Boys," I was "hooked" for sure!

CB

Smashing Pumpkins "Disarm" Something about it struck something in me. I played drums at the time, but a few months later had to stop due to neighbors calling the cops too much. I made sure that the first song I learned when I got a guitar was this one.

Archived