Gibson Brands Forums

What's your band composition?

Silenced Fred

How many members do you have, and what do they do?

I think I am going to have to find a bassist, but I don't know how to write songs with two guitar lines, maybe I am just not creative enough, but I try and fit most of the stuff in one line, maybe I should try spreading it out...

Currently mine is

Lead/Rhythm Guitar and Vocals: Myself

Drums: My friend

Second guitar part: My other friend

Not sure how to make it work, any advice is welcome

I generally have four people... though five would be nice on occasion.

There are various combinations of those four, but it's usually

Rhythm Guitar/Vocal

Bass

Drums

Lead Guitar

Lead Guitar/Vocal

Bass

Drums

Rhythm Guitar

Rhythm Guitar/Vocal

Bass

Drums

Keyboards

Keyboards/Vocal

Bass

Drums

Guitar

The fifth person, if I have one, is a female singer. If she plays guitar, that's even better. There are a lot of male-female duets I like that use two guitars, or one guitar and one mandolin.

Since I'm always the lead singer (it's my material, after all, and it's my name on the bill), I generally play rhythm, but there are a few songs I like to play lead on.

If I only have a three-piece, We generally play without a lead guitar, with some extended instrumental parts. I also double keyboard and guitar... sometimes in one song.

My friend and I alternate between rhythm and lead. We usually just play the parts we wrote so it works out.

That same friend and I both play keys too. He plays more than I do but I wrote a couple songs that only I can play so I play sometimes.

My drummer just plays drums.

Right now our songs are instrumental. Were trying to work out some vocals. It's hard... I've been trying to do this thing with one song where I ramble incoherently through a megaphone with some delay. It actually sounds really cool. At least we think so LOL.

I think I have to stick to rhythm and allow for some stuff for the other guitarist, I put sometimes odd rhythms on strumming chords... I think I need to find a bassist though, it will open up a lot of possibilities and take some of the pressure off

Were having a girl from my friends last band come and jam with us. I hope to get some bass and vocals out of her.

Live we actually sound really full even with no bass. My guitarist and I have played together for a long time and we really work well together. We know to hold down the bass and rhythm automatically whenever it's needed. I play guitar in a similar style and sound to bass sometimes.

Having a bass would open up some new possibilities for us.

Well, ideally:

Me on pedal-steel guitar and lead vocal, accompanied by

-Electric organ

-Extended-range bass (probably eight to twelve strings, played by an insane virtuoso bassist)

-Saxophone

-Percussionist(s) (i.e. "kit" drummer and Latin-influenced percussion)

The lead guitar role would be filled by my pedal-steel playing. We'd do fusion. They'd all have to know how to improvise. You can't play in my band if you need sheets to play from--although, at the same time, ability to read sheet music would be required, because we'd still have arrangements, we'd just follow them less strictly. I'm not in a band, and I don't think that I'll ever be able to make it happen (especially not this way,) but I think that it sounds awesome. In my dreams, the above would be the most awesome band ever. I'd like to call it "Dandy Passion Sandwich."

I technically play in 4 bands with some overlapping members. I play guitar in all and do a very little singing in all.

Band 1 (hasn't played since January)

female vocals

keyboard/vocals

drums/vocal

bass/vocals

guitar/very little vocals

Band 2

drums/vocals

2 guitars/vocals

bass(same as band 1)/vocals

Band 3 (only jams and plays about every 3 months)

vocals/occasional bass

vocals/rythym guitar

guitar/keyboard/sax/vocals

drums (same as band 1)/vocals

bass

guitar/vocals

Band 4

vocals/rythym guitar

drums/percussion

guitar/vocals

bass/vocals

Hard to keep straight, I know#-o

The lead guitar role would be filled by my pedal-steel playing. We'd do fusion.

XD - check this out! And only a single-neck!

I'm working on my band...but we will have a bass player and no singers!

Singers give me migraines...[biggrin]

We're 4

Female Vocalist

Me on Guitar and Vocals

My Brother on Bass (we've been playing together for years)

and a Drummer

That's it, we do Covers for the Bar crowd. The lead singer sings almost everything, she does great Zeppelin, Bad Co, Scorpions, and of course all the Chick songs. It's like having Ann Wilson in the band. I sing Low stuff like ZZ Top and Back Up. The Bass and Drums don't sing. We get the Job done and have a Great Time doing it. We have a few Gigs lined up and more lining up.

We just worked up "Last in Line" to honor Ronnie James Dio.

My first band(s) was in high school. It evolved from an attempt at a big band that just didn't work. This was 1962, mind you, and a different world of music.

No vocals.

Jazz version: drums, piano, trumpet (me) sax.

Rock version - drop the piano, add lede and two guitars, trumpet and sax.

In retrospect somebody shudda done some bass. But it was a different age. No p.a.

Now fast forward through some folkie duos and solos of various sorts to 1965, late fall: bass, drums, two guitars and a singer who could double on rhythm guitar. Multiply that times two bands. This time I was playing guitar, rhythm in one and lede in the second.

Fast forward through a batch of bluegrass aggregations to two guitars and drums. In retrospect I shudda used the bass 'stedda the guitar to swap ledes.

Then a typical country drum, 2 guitars and bass, swapping vocals and ledes.

Then... I've gigged with other bunches through the years. I think a bass is vital. I know one popular area band, though, where keyboard does bass parts if the computer didn't, live guitarist with computer reinforcement and a live drummer. The keyboard player is a girl vocalist. Lots of sound for 3 people; the computer helps the fill for a broader sound. The keyboard has lots of different sounds.

I've noticed lately that there has been a surprising batch of EA rhythm and electric lede, bass and drums...

I like having a girl singer, but they tend to be difficult to find if they have a partner outside the band.

My ideal now? Drums, bass or keyboard with bass capability (one of whom a girl who could double vocals) and guitar.

m

Four! 2 Guitars, Bass, Drums...Pretty basic! Looking for a good keyboard/vocalist, in the area.

Female prefered....well, we can "dream," anyway. ;>)

Until that eventuality...the other guitar player, and myself, cover most of the vocals. The bass

player does some backup vocals, as well...but NO lead vocals. It gets a bit "raw," for us, after

4 hours.

CB

The Big Band

Guitar

Bass (female)

Drums

Piano

Percussion

Two tenor saxes

Two alto saxes (both females)

Baritone sax

Three trombones

Bass tombone

Five trumpets

Girl singer

The Standards Combo

Guitar

Bass

Drums

Piano (same rhythm section players as above)

Violin

Fluglehorn

The BeBop Combo

Guitar

Bass

Drums

Piano (same rhythm section players as above)

Tenor Sax

Trombone

Trumpet

The Blues Band

Guitar, 2nd lead vocalist

Slide Guitar, b/u vocals

Bass, b/u vocals

Drums/percussion

Harmonica, 1st lead vocalist

I think I am going to have to find a bassist' date=' but I don't know how to write songs with two guitar lines, maybe I am just not creative enough, but I try and fit most of the stuff in one line, maybe I should try spreading it out...[/quote']

Two guitar lines - rhythm, and lead. It's not rocket science mate.

Let the bass player write his own parts - if he knows how to stay in key he'll be fine.

Only two members.

I play the guitar most of the time and my friend drums.

Sometimes we switch instruments.

When we do an unplugged gig, we play guitar and bass and we switch

instruments somewhere in the middle of the show.

We both do vocals, I'm the lead singer for most of our songs [crying]

Two guitar lines - rhythm' date=' and lead. It's not rocket science mate.

Let the bass player write his own parts - if he knows how to stay in key he'll be fine.

[/quote']

In my writing style, I keep most of the stuff in one line, its going to be kind of weird to break it up. I write stuff switching between chords and riffs, but the riffs sound better when played without the chords, etc. I have never really written stuff to be played with another guitarist before, so I write everything into my part.

I know how it is done "standard" but I don't do that stuff

Me: Saxophone, Guitar, Wind Synthesizer, Flute, Vocals, Percussion controller and sometimes Keyboards

Leilani: Vocals, Guitar and Synthesizer

Backing tracks: 100% generated by myself with a computer, a half dozen synth modules and a couple of sample players. If you are interested in how I make and use them, go here http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html

Notes ?

In my writing style' date=' I keep most of the stuff in one line, its going to be kind of weird to break it up. I write stuff switching between chords and riffs, but the riffs sound better when played without the chords, etc. I have never really written stuff to be played with another guitarist before, so I write everything into my part.

I know how it is done "standard" but I don't do that stuff[/quote']

Why the need to "break it up"...you keep your guitar line and write a complementary one...you can play the same riff sometimes...even a lot!

Archived