Gibson Brands Forums

47 yrs ago today

Bender 4 Life

I won't mind , or be surprised if this thread gets locked or deleted, but, for those that were alive on that"fateful day" in '63.......where were you when Kennedy left the living? what were you doing?

I was a month and a half yr old baby with colic......my Mother was rocking me to sleep when the news interrupted her favorite radio show (they didn't have a TV yet).

It took several days before she believed it had REALLY happened.

Just a distant thought in my future parents' brains...

Not to go off topic... [woot].... but did anyone see the Seinfeld with the baseball player that spits at Kramer? And they recreate it like the Kennedy thing? that's the first thing that comes to mind when people mention Kennedy for me...

I was a month and a half yr old baby with colic......my Mother was rocking me to sleep when the news interrupted her ...

Funny, my mom tells pretty much the same story. I too was about a month and a half old (having been born 10-14) and she says she was rocking me when she got the news. I think my dad came home and told her though - not TV or radio.

Just a distant thought in my future parents' brains...

Not to go off topic... [woot].... but did anyone see the Seinfeld with the baseball player that spits at Kramer? And they recreate it like the Kennedy thing? that's the first thing that comes to mind when people mention Kennedy for me...

That's one magic loogie!

I was a senior in high school in English class. The class president came into our room and told Mrs. Davidson and she told us.

I would like to add that I still don't buy the single gunman theory and that Oswald acted alone but that might take this thread to a point where it gets cut off.

I remember sitting on the floor at my grandparents house Sunday morning after JFK was shot. The were moving Oswald from the Dallas PD jail. First time I ever saw anyone on live TV get shot and killed.

My Dad will go to his grave KNOWING one thing for sure - the mob was heavily involved.

He was lucky enough to overhear an offhand comment while working in a Houston bar the night before.

Some shady "business" men ran it, sorta like a mob thing in the South.

Unions, investors, longshoremen, etc.

Anyway, we all know Kennedy wasn't highly regarded in the South - explains LBJ on the ticket.

The television was all JFK, all the time, people were sick of it that evening.

But it was like the Beatles were in Houston according to the positive spin on the news coverage.

Anyway, the comment was something like;

"They didn't do it today, but it'll be taken care of tomorrow in Dallas..."

The next day, Dad was driving with his brother to conduct an "errand" for the "business" men.

The radio broke the news as they were on the road.

They had to pull over, and sit staring at each other until it sunk in.

Neither was sure who had said what the night before, but it was definitely people associated with the owner.

My Dad decided to go back in the Army, suddenly realizing that simply quitting might not be so simple...

[unsure]

Since the Cold War was so hot at the time, the boss agreed that it was reasonable for a patriotic young man.

The boss knew that Dad's security clearance and nuke duties would take him out of the country.

And that he wouldn't talk....

They cut him a nice fat separation check, shook his hand, and wished him well.

Told him to come back to work for them anytime after he got out of the Army.

I was two years away yet.

I was 10. The news broke at school. Even at that young age, you knew it was shockingly tragic and a very big deal. So big infact, we were dismissed early from school. We (my brother and me) went home and watched the news unfold on black and white TV. Then, two days later the whole nightmare was replayed when Ruby killed Oswald.

Archived