Gibson Brands Forums

Your first love....

Searcy

Sometimes I work for Six String Bliss, the longest running guitar podcast on the interwebs. We have interviewed folks like Steve Vai, John 5 and Paul Gilbert and George Gruhn and the first two questions we always ask, which I now pose to you, are....

1 What was your first guitar...?

2 Do you still have it?

80's George Washburn Acoustic. My brother got it at a yard sale for $60. It came with a beat up case.

He gave it to me in 1987 as a gift.

I still have it (and the case).

I have played very expensive Taylors and Martins that do not sound as good as my yard sale prize.

I will never get rid of it. :)

My first electric was an Aria Pro II "The Cat". A strat copy, it is what got me to start wanting to play electric.

I still have it. But it needs repair, and so is out of commission. Some day a "project" guitar.

My first bass (and first 'guitar' ever) was a mid 80's Lotus 4-string, pearl white. Long gone.

My first acoustic was a 1970's Kingston 12-string that was so unplayable that I converted it to 6 and put electric strings on it. I still have it as a wall hanger.

My first electric was a mid-80's Gibson SG with a Kahler. I got it on trade for an Oscar-Schmidt A/E. Long gone and regret it more and more every day. I'm hoping that someday it miraculously comes back to me like the S-500 did. Eight years missing and it showed up at a friends house a couple years ago. That was a good day.

This one.

DSCF0618.jpg

I bought it around 1978.

It is a Japanese LP made in the Kasuga shop for the Canadian market. The brand name on the headstock is Northern. Notice the maple leaf fret markers. This pic was taken before I swapped the pups for SD 59 and JB and had a major tune up and polishing.

As a strange coincidence, it is coming out tonight. I'm playing with the same guys I played with back then. First time together in over 30 years.

Gonna be a blast.

Dave

Mine is a Takamine acoustic that I still own, but that doesn't really count. My true first electric and first true love is my Gibson Sonex, which I still own to this day. I used that guitar heavily during my gigging days. The Texas humidity and lack of playing nearly ruined it forever though. But I revived it by replacing worn and rusted parts. I also had a professional crown the frets and repair the warp in the neck (it actually twisted!), but she's good as new now.

sonex_f.jpg

My first dozen years or so were with so many guitars traded in and out that I honestly can't begin to remember them all.

The very first was a very inexpensive classical guitar.

The first guitar I liked enough to keep was the S100C Guild SG type in got in the early '70s. Then in spite of lots of continuing swaps, I ended up with a that 1950s Harmony electric archtop, the ES175 "patent infringement" Ibanez, and two AE Ovations (electric legend and country artist nylon string.)

Also I have my first banjo from the mid 1960s that I haven't played in ages, and my first mandolin from the same era, ditto.

m

My first guitar was a $20 guitar I bought in Calgary. Then I got a "Kay" guitar, (from Ward's?)...but my first "real" guitar was a 1964 Fender Jaguar. Next was a 1965 Febder Jazz Bass.

Next guitar was my Gibson Jubilee, (which I still have), then my wife bought me a Gibson Dove..... next was my Ovation 12-string, (all of which I still have).

I now have 9 guitars....and SERIOUSLY looking for my 10th.

first guitar was a Harmony acoustic back in the 70s. My best friend gave it to me. I don't know what happened to it. Later, in the 80s, I bought an American Standard Fender Strat -- gun metal gray, just like Robert Cray, but with a trem. I sold that and a great huge tube amp I had bought from a guy down the road -- sold my little Fender practice amp. I also had a cheap bass someone gave me; i don't know what happened to it. Then no guitars until late 90s, when I bought a cheap classical while in Japan. Next came my current crop from the last two years: a Yamaha electric, an Epi Dot, a Gibson 339 and a Fender VG strat.

Wow, beauty.

How long ago did you buy it?

It's in my signature. But since you asked. It's a 1988 ES-175. They were unique during that time because they were mahogany back and sides with a maple laminate top.

Yes folks, that was my first guitar.

Not my first bass, but my first guitar.

I walked into GC Santa Ana shortly after seeing Izzy Stradlin use one in G-n-R at the Celebrity Theater in Anaheim shortly after Appetite for Destruction came out.

Killer show. He was playing one just like it. Any way, I believe Ron Wolf sold it to me. And to think I was going in there to get some bass cabinets.

My first guitar was guitar store brand from about 1965 - I wish I could remember the brand name. It had uncovered humbuckers in the bridge and neck position, single coil in the middle. My friends were all impressed that I had a "5 pickup" guitar. Sold her in the early 70's.

Archived