Gibson Brands Forums

Practice With Head Phones?

MrNylon

I can't......My hearing is now too sensitive to them; Years of playing in bands......I have to be careful, one hour with headphones hurts like heck..

I "mix" tracks a bit with them, but usually use studio monitor for that....I usually practice unplugged....And record plugged in to amps..........

I usually use them when I play through the amp models of my Line 6 UX2 in my computer,

This is when I have to be quiet,

There are advantages, I can record, I can play along songs and backing tracks or practice with drum loops running on the background.

Frankly playing like this is not ideal as nothing beats the roar of my tube amp but,

I have to say that IMO plugging in and using headphones is better than playing an electric guitar acoustically, I was playing my electrics unplugged too much and with this you do not develop the touch that an amplified instrument requires.

If the Missus is watching a program or asleep I'll use my Vox AC30 Amplug or my Marshall MS-4 to noodle arond on so I won't disturb her.I use earbuds mostly but a very good quality one so that I can get better sound reproduction. BTW I often use a male to male stereo 1/8" plug to go from my Amplug to the Aux. in of my Sirius Boombox to get a great mini-AC30 sound.

Well at the moment I have to use headphones as I have no Amps here in Switzerland and I have a feeling they wouldn't be appreciated regardless.... I like to use headphones when I am learning songs so I can really isolate some of the nuances. It also allows me to setup a good "learning" mix between what I am working on and my guitar as well as allowing me to quickly just listen to one side of the stereo field or the other.

Andy

Archived