Gibson Brands Forums

songs you want played at your funeral...

S t e v e

Nothing too emotional, I had three friends die in a car wreck my sophomore year of high school and they played I Will Remember You by Sarah McLachlan at all of their funerals. I can't listen to any of her music anymore, and I don't want to ruin an artist for anyone myself.

Haven't ever given it much thought, but I wouldn't want it to be sad stuff. Hey, we Irish (Americans) know how to throw a wake!!! Beer, food, beer, more food, beer, lotsa laughs, beer...repeat as necessary. [laugh]

My Dad always said "The worst thing about dying is missing the party after your funeral".

This would definitely be up there. Britten was amazing, my favorite British composer! He was also one of the strangely numerous homosexual composers who achieved some level of popularity in the 20th century too [thumbup] (Copland, and Bernstein to name just two).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSVlARTeWBE

Messiaen's Quartet for The End of Time would be up there too, just for it's strangeness.. and the story behind it.

It was originally performed on a cold winter’s night of 1941 in the prisoner of war camp Stalag VIII A, Messiaen made do with the strange assortment of instruments he had players for. I find it fantastic. Thank you to Karl-Albert Brüll, the German guard who lacked true devotion to the Nazi regime, and allowed Messiaen to write in peace, and even granted his players and he some freedom and comfort.

100% going to be there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XY_5JOEmFK0

Perhaps some Iannis Xenakis to screw with people... Though I do find his music enthralling too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L2KJSROfdBs

Dom

That is a great story and we share so many favourite musicians! It is a shame you're not nearer; it is a cruel twist of fate that my local Gibson forum member is a Slash loving policeman (I think traffic warden) who goes by the name of Flight 959 :)

Matt

That is a great story and we share so many favourite musicians! It is a shame you're not nearer; it is a cruel twist of fate that my local Gibson forum member is a Slash loving policeman (I think traffic warden) who goes by the name of Flight 959 :)

Haha, I daresay I know less than you! But I do have some favorites, I think Britten's music is fantastic, and the piece I posted is.. imo, incredible beautiful. It really evokes a nautical.. emotional landscape (not sure how to put it).

I owe much of my classical knowledge/exploration to Alex Ross. I've been slowly reading this book (slowly because it's so much information, and I like to take time on each composer he covers), and I find the urge to read more and more of it (on the topic of "classical" music..). Classical music (particularly Baroque onward.. the term Baroque actually meaning a "misshapen pear" :x) I find, is some of the most emotionally charged, and moving sound to ever escape an instrument. I still know quite little, but I have time don't I?

That being said, it's hard to find a classical piece that kicks as much *** as Whole Lotta Love [flapper]

Oh so cruel, Flight's got quite some chops from what I've seen! Course I know you're kidding around, but I'd be overjoyed to get a closer look at his guitar arsenal :D

(random thought!)

Archived