Gibson Brands Forums

What is the one specification that will turn you away from buying a guitar?

Riffster

Obviously I am talking about a guitar that you are actually interested in.

I stop being interested in a guitar when I read 1 5/8" nut, I just cannot get past that, can't play that nut width.

What's the one thing for you?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

50s necks.. just cant get on with them..

I tried one of the new 2012 Standards and didnt like it as I thought the new neck was too ckunky (the old assymetrical one was more like a 60s neck)

For me, it could be many things, really. I've put one down because the fretboard felt like sand paper. I've put them down because the electronics or the tuners were horked. I've put them down because they were dead wood, or they just didn't feel comfortable... if I'm out trying one or looking to buy.

If I'm just reading, nothing really makes me stop reading the guitar's details.

I do have the "never play an ugly guitar" rule, but that's a little more subjective :D

Anymore, anything NOT made in USA. Absolutely nothing wrong with any other guitars, There are very nice Epi's, MIM Fenders and many many others, but I just prefer an American made guitar.

I wont buy a guitar if i dont like the finish: color, brand new reliced finishes (used wear is fine), etc. I always run my fingers down the side of an axe that grabs my eye. If the frets stick out, i wont even pick it up. Feel of the neck is next, if it dont feel good, i wont buy it. Im not picky on width or depth, if it feels right i'll know it. If im buying an axe for $500+, it better sound good stock.

Baked Maple, anything

22 frets, on a Fender

Stacked, split, noisless, etc pickups. (Just keep that **** simple.)

All original, except... (Unless it's something small)

i'll still try a guitar if it has EMG's. The tone must suck but for all we know it might have a great feel.

I agree, EMGs sound really synthetic, if that makes sense.

Hmmm... On a new guitar I'd say that would be the sales person. If they're all in my $h!t the whole time, or if I can't find someone to help me, I'll walk.

If it's used, I think anything that has been (poorly) modded by the owner is a deal breaker.

Laminated. I'm sure I have others, but nothing else turns me away, really. I'm not too fond of poplar and basswood as tone woods but if it sounds good I'll like it!

I'm willing to try anything once, and if I don't like the guitar, I don't buy it. It has nothing to do with the specs (unless its something I can't redo or swap...). Some guitars speak to me, some don't. I'm not against active pickups. I'm not against locking tremolos. etc.

For example, the only thing that turns me off about Les Paul Customs is the super low frets. But I can always get it refretted, like most pros who use them do! (Zakk, Randy, Ace, etc.)

Nothing turns me off about any guitar related spec (aside from laminated wood...Which includes most budget guitars...). I try to find good in anything.

$5000,00.

First thing I see and the last thing I care about seeing. [flapper]

I can only afford to get $3000 into a guitar. Would rather have 3 fun $3000 guitars than 2 $4500 guitars. Better yet buy the $3000 git for $2250 and have 4 of them. [biggrin] Just me

Aster

two words...."First Act"...[flapper]

I've got one and it kicks ***! Plays/sounds killer and it's unbreakable, damn near (unlike my numerous Gibsons). Oh yeah, and it cost $20.

Laminated. I'm sure I have others, but nothing else turns me away, really. Nothing turns me off about any guitar related spec (aside from laminated wood...Which includes most budget guitars...). I try to find good in anything.

I disagree; My Es 135, 137, & 175 are all laminated.

Personally, the one spec that will keep me from buying a guitar is if it's brand new; they're so overpriced -- especially new Gibsons. Not only has Gibson dropped a turd in the punchbowl with the illegal wood, they've jumped the shark in putting 'prestige' ahead of 'quality.'.

Archived