Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone here use the Gibson stock plastic pins?

michaeljohnr

When I received my new 1964 J-45 CS Reissue, first thing I did was change the strings and put in wooden pins.

However...my answer is not absolute. When I bought my new 1972 Southern Jumbo back in the early 70s, I left the original pins that were in the guitar in (although I changed the strings). But, that was because the original pins it had in it were wooden and I liked them so much I think they're still in the guitar. Plus, from that point on any guitar I bought I put wooden pins in. Say what y'all will about the Norlin era...my Norlin era 1972 SJ when it was new came with wooden not plastic pins. Go figure.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Some have it some dont. I prefer bone or horn just haven't got around to ordering yet. Can't get ivory here in canada that I know of but would like to try it. I've been talking to bob colosi via email to get a couple saddle and pins but I've procrastinated on the measuring.

I prefer the plastic pins because 1) I prefer the vintage appearance over that of wood and 2) because my default position is that less mass on the bridge is is generally better so I don't like bone of fossilized ivory

On my two Gibsons, I immediately replaced with Colosi pins - bone with alabaster inlays. Reason? Looks!

I do not believe I can hear a difference in the tone, but I strongly believe that, like fancy wheels on an Escalade - they add to the looks of the guitar. Also, the holographic-like shimery-ness tends to distract listeners from my sad and dismal playing.

Also replaced on the LG1 I gave my son. Did not replace on the Cordoba Gipsy King I gave my other son. For obvious reasons!

In an earlier post: " Recently received these bridge pins for only $6.95...they fitted perfectly on my SWD (better than the original plastic ones did)...didn't notice any major sound improvement but they are made with very hard plastic (don't know if it's tusk) and they are ivory colored."

But you have to make sure that they fit in as a member wrote:

"I purchased those pins for my J45 and had to send them back because they were completely undersized for the holes."

http://www.guitarele...ridge-Pins.html

I have about a dozen acoustics, all plastic pins I assum,e because I never replace pins.., nuts and saddles I replace with bone. In the case of nuts I have a preference for graphite when I can find them.

I have plastic. There was a fellow on a forum, I think it is Harmony-Central, and he did what seemed to be a quite thorough experiment, and I recall that the consensus was that it doesn't make any difference for the sound. A fuzzy recollection that maybe plastic was even better.

I've tried many different material pins and have concluded that different pin materials actually do have slightly different sounds, although not necessarily anything signficantly different...more of a subtle nuanced difference. Some add a subtle toucho of brightness, some a subtle touch of warmth to the sound, some a subtle harshness or even coldness (metal pins).

Their doing that makes sense a they become part of the vibrating top or guitar structure, plus they touch the strings. But, its subtle and potentially not noticeable to many, I suppose.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I've tried many different material pins and have concluded that different pin materials actually do have slightly different sounds, although not necessarily anything signficantly different...more of a subtle nuanced difference. Some add a subtle toucho of brightness, some a subtle touch of warmth to the sound, some a subtle harshness or even coldness (metal pins).

Their doing that makes sense a they become part of the vibrating top or guitar structure, plus they touch the strings. But, its subtle and potentially not noticeable to many, I suppose.

Absolutely agree – I see the pins as the final sound adjustment and not seldom use different pins for different strings on the same guit.

Logic : Vibes go through the pins as well as the other components of the crucial bridge area (in fact the whole guitar). Different materials transmit differently.

Plast = rounded.

Bone = clearer.

Horn = soft.

Wood = soft as horn, maybe mellower.

Brass = haven't tried or met brass yet, but brassier, I guess.

What I find harder to compare is nut-material. Recently ordered tusq to round down some rather sharp trebs on my C&W though, , , think it worked, but can't tell as the deer was re-necked.

Will tell about this operation in the spring.

I have a similar view as Jazzman Jeff re: the limitations of the 12 string. Since the impact of bridge pins

on sound quality is of no small consequence, I've dialed in the sound of the '68 Yamaha Red Label Nippon Gakki-11:

Martin Plastic= Rounded, but righteous.

Gibson Plastic= Well-rounded, but more fun.

Broken Golf tee(s)= Soft.

Stick= Softer.

Rolled up matchbook= Any port in a storm.

; ).

EX000031_zpsbfbfaedd.jpg

Archived