Gibson Brands Forums

A Favorite Electronic Tuner

MrNylon

Do you have a favorite electronic tuner? After trying out a few electronic tuners, I'm settled in with the BOSS TU-80 Tuner & Metronome. It's light, compact (pocket size), and most important, it's good for accuracy too. [thumbup]

In my rig I have a GFS pedal tuner:

banner2.jpg

I use it on bypass mode so when I tune I shut off the signal. I don't like tuning noise to go out live during a gig...

I have a Korg CA1 that I used religiously before getting the pedal tuner:

CA-1_Main_634079579933990000.png

It never let me down and still works flawlessly.

Back in the day the tuners were made by Seiko, Casio, and other electronic equipment manufacturers and had actual needle meters on them I think one of the first I saw was a Seiko and all of them were really expensive... I think the Boss TU models were the earliest lesser expensive ones I saw and I still have a Casio (I think) that used led lights with 1 green led light in the middle of a fan/arcing-array of red ones. It was set to A-440 and was programmed for standard tuning and it had another led for each of the string notes; E, A, D, G, B, & E (or possibly all the notes of the spectrum with the guitar string notes somehow highlighted) it would light up the string note indicator led light you were tuning and the red led lights on either side of the green led light would tell you which way you have to tune; up or down. It works flawlessly to this day and I gave it to my daughter and it's relegated to her take to school guitar tuner for band...

I cannot find any pictures of it online and clearly it's no longer in production. It's at my daughter's school right now so I cannot retrieve it for a digital pic. I believe I bought it during the 1990's and it runs on a 9v battery and has no A/C adapter port and only runs on a battery if memory serves correct. It was black and square with a little plastic bevel screen over the led lights on one edge...

Back in the day the tuners were made by Seiko, Casio, and other electronic equipment manufacturers and had actual needle meters on them I think one of the first I saw was a Seiko and all of them were really expensive... I think the Boss TU models were the earliest lesser expensive ones I saw and I still have a Casio (I think) that used led lights with 1 green led light in the middle of a fan/arcing-array of red ones. It was set to A-440 and was programmed for standard tuning and it had another led for each of the string notes; E, A, D, G, B, & E (or possibly all the notes of the spectrum with the guitar string notes somehow highlighted) it would light up the string note indicator led light you were tuning and the red led lights on either side of the green led light would tell you which way you have to tune; up or down. It works flawlessly to this day and I gave it to my daughter and it's relegated to her take to school guitar tuner for band...

I still have my good OLD Seiko Quart Guitar Tuner...she's old but she is reliable!

Archived