Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

surfpup

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does it play, and sound?

Oh, I haven't had time to play it. Just took pictures. [lol]

Actually I gave it a good workout. The action was a little low so I had to crank that up. I think it may have 9s on it cuz it bends like buttah. But I do like it's sound. It is very biting - in a good way. I'd say the pickups land somewhere between Fender single coil and Gibson P90 territory. Quite chuffed with is so far, CB. [thumbup]

Beautiful instrument looks great. I have a gold one, which I'm happy with. In regards to the pickups...well, I think they sound OKmsp_thumbup.gif and don't need to be changed. I play mine a lot. So, here's the pic's msp_biggrin.gif

I really do think your red guitar looks fine.

rignov2512.jpg

9c08463a-e8bb-4c25-9227-3c7320ab5c5c_zpse2fe9b3f.jpg

That is a beauty Pup. Speaking of Pup's, that has a Filter & a HiLo Tron combo doesn't it on the new release of the 5655?

That should be interesting in a good way. I haven't done my Filter conversion on my 5122DC but will get to it maybe before the cold winds blow again. I agree with the Box label 100% on "that great Gretsch sound. I just love my Duo-Jet and the 5122 too. The old "bucker" pup's are a bit tame for me and want that really great jangle from the Filters on it.

Congrats on the new git. Tell us about the pup config. for sure.

Aster

Oh, I haven't had time to play it. Just took pictures. [lol]

Actually I gave it a good workout. The action was a little low so I had to crank that up. I think it may have 9s on it cuz it bends like buttah. But I do like it's sound. It is very biting - in a good way. I'd say the pickups land somewhere between Fender single coil and Gibson P90 territory. Quite chuffed with is so far, CB. [thumbup]

Excellent! [biggrin] I would concur, with your assessment, on the pickup's tone. [thumbup]

CB

Nice Gretsch there SP. Do you know what songs you will use it for with That's What She Said?

So far I have been just using one guitar for each gig - generally a Tele or a Strat, occasionally an SG - and not switching off. The other guitar player and I just swap the acoustic and electric back and forth every so often. Overall I am thinking the sound of the Gretsch will work for all of our stuff. It's plenty twangy but can rock too. What more could you need? [biggrin]

So I was asked what happened to the Gretsch since I have been spending time on the Strat project. I can assure you the Gretsch is fine, and being enjoyed. Here it is hanging out with some of the flock. [biggrin] Still not sure we have bonded, but it has a cool tone and I think it will fit it with the trio gigs I have coming up... we shall see.

IMG_3788.jpg

How did I miss this?

Great looking guitar, pup! Maybe it's just your pics but that looks nicer than the other electromatics I've seen. The pickups are good?

They are pretty good, yeah. They call them Blacktop Filtertrons. There's a little squeal at high gain settings, but that's not really what this guitar is for. The pickups are relatively low output, but do buck hum as they have two coils. Got more twang and jangle than humbuckers for sure.

They call those pickups "Baldwin era Filter'trons" aparently Baldwin ownwed Gretsch sometime in the 70's.

I actually like the HS Filter'trons on mine but I do not find them as versatile as a stndard humbucker or a Fender single coil.

What kills me on these guitars is the ridiculous neck join way up the neck, the double cutaway is simply a cosmetic thing, the USA version of this body style does have better upper fret access.

I usually play The Cult and QOTSA on mine and some noodling using Fuzz pedals since the lower output of the pickups works well with that and then it goes back on the wall.

What kills me on these guitars is the ridiculous neck join way up the neck, the double cutaway is simply a cosmetic thing..

This is very true and surprised me as well. It's got a hella heel not unlike an LP.

Fabulous congrats!!! Looks great! Would love to hear it [thumbup]

Thanks. Since I am only a week away from my summer break, perhaps I can find the time to whip up a little demo soon. :rolleyes: Was just playing it through my old Deluxe Reverb (on 10 but with an attenuator) and it sounds pretty great with that amp. Definitely a vintage rock sound. [thumbup]

Archived