Gibson Brands Forums

J 200 users - favorite string gauge?

Gordan

Hi everyone,

i was just wondering if you could share some of your J 200 experiences string-wise?

Which string gauge do you prefer on your Jumbos, and what kind of experience have you had with other string gauges?

I am currently using .011 on my J 200, and it kinda feels like those are too light for the string-neck tension, so

i am definitely considering getting into a thicker gauge, but i don't wanna get ahead of myself and go with something

too thick and unsuitable for a guitar like this.

Feel free to share your thoughts, i'd appreciate it a lot!

cheers

I use D'addario EJ-17's. I've tried the EJ-16's, they seem too thin on the J-200.

It seems the J-200 needed a little bit more string to bring out the full potential of that fabulous guitar. I love my J-200.

• Like 1

I'm the weirdo. I prefer .11s. D'addario 11s PB. I started with .12s and it was too tough for my liking, so I switched to .11s and now play without a fight. Am I lacking tone? Not enough for me to care. I've listened to videos of people using the different gauges and I still preferred .11s. I understand why someone would go to .12s but I prefer the path of least resistance.

Weirdo ;-)

I'm the weirdo. I prefer .11s. D'addario 11s PB. I started with .12s and it was too tough for my liking, so I switched to .11s and now play without a fight. Am I lacking tone? Not enough for me to care. I've listened to videos of people using the different gauges and I still preferred .11s. I understand why someone would go to .12s but I prefer the path of least resistance.

You're not the only weirdo [biggrin] . My J-200 had Elixir PB Nanoweb Custom Lights on it when I got it and I liked them so well I've never even tried anything else.

On my J100 maple, I like a phospher bronze 'bluegrass' blend-- light tops/medium bottoms. D'Addario's EJ-19 run 12-53, and I also really like the DR Rares (RBGs, I think they're called), which are pretty much the same. Drives the top but makes things a little easier on the fingers, especially capo'd up a bit.

While I use different strings on different guitars, I have yet to find any string that makes my J200 sing, roar, and whisper like Gibson's own Masterbuilt Premium 80/20 .013s.

I must've tried 4 or 5 different sets from various companies, but none of them has the pizazz and zing of these.

• 6 years later...

I am coming into this a little late.   My SJ-200 came with 13s, just like they all do.  When I first heard that sound, it was love at first site.  The bass response is absolutely impossible to resist.  Who does not love that sound.  Now that we all agree on the power of 13s, here is my dilemma.  

When you play unplugged that is exactly what you want; but when you play with a bass player, the sound needs to be less boomy, for my taste, to avoid competing with the bass.  I play at church through a highend PA Bose system. I tried 12s, then 11s.  I met a guy at a music store, who mostly plays electric guitar, and he said that he uses 9s on his Gibson SJ-200 and has been doing so for years.  Well, just for kicks I replaced the strings with Elixir nano web 80/20 Bronze.   So far, I like the playability, I am a finger picker mostly.   Sounds good at home through Fishman Amp, let's see what happens at church through the PA.  I have to like the sound to use it.   

I love zombie threads. 

One of the joys of finally owning a newish guitar is that I do not have to worry near as much about string tension and bellying.    There is kind of a freedom there.  The one exception though is our J200.  Although ours is now 61 years old it is built like a tank.  In the days before my wife claimed it as her own I stuck with Newtone PB 12s.  She, however, wanted me to string it  with John Pearce 11s.  One day when she asked me to re-string the guitar I had one of those not unplanned "oops" moments and strung the guitar with Pearce 12s.  Surprise, surprise, she liked them better than he 11s.  But about two years ago  for grins we tried a set of the Santa Cruz Parabolic strings.  Lawdy Have Mercy but she loves both the feel and the sound.  My plan now is to see how she responds to Straight Up Strings which are pretty much the same as the SC (same guy designed them both) without the micro-coating and which sell for 1/2 the price.

In terms of what new Gibsons come strung with, they shut down their string winding operation in the mid-1970s  and have been outsourcing them since.   Bozeman apparently goes with GHS wound strings.  I am not sure if it is true or not but I have heard the now gone but apparently much missed old Masterbuilt PB strings were transformed into GHS Thin Cores.  I tried a set of the GHS 11s on my '32 L1.  I like the sound and will say they have kept their ginger for quite a while.  As I can buy them five minutes down the road  there is a also convenience  factor in play.  I do have a couple of sets of 12s.   I would love to sneak a set on the J200.   

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1