Gibson Brands Forums

What the latest song you've been playing on your guitar?

Mr. Gibson

How does it sound through the Ampegs?

I don't have the SG guitar yet, but I would figure the lows, and mids would sound ok, but the highs I don't think would do to well in an amp set for the lows as this one is.

I don't have the SG guitar yet, but I would figure the lows, and mids would sound ok, but the highs I don't think would do to well in an amp set for the lows as this one is.

It'll sound clanky as hex. It'll take three LPBs to dent that much headroom. Awesome. It is 1977 again!

rct

Edited by rct
  • Upvote 1

I'm on a Slash kick. I was always a fan. (I remember people saying "oh, everyone listens to them,they're mainstream now. 'Don't cry'? That's selling out." Me: "so the demo on it I had on cassette pre-Appetite with Tracii is somehow... new?")

But lately I've analyzed his playing more in-depth, and tried to learn from it. Particularly his use of pre-bends. It amazes me how it comes so natural to him.

I'm on a Slash kick. I was always a fan. (I remember people saying "oh, everyone listens to them,they're mainstream now. 'Don't cry'? That's selling out." Me: "so the demo on it I had on cassette pre-Appetite with Tracii is somehow... new?")

But lately I've analyzed his playing more in-depth, and tried to learn from it. Particularly his use of pre-bends. It amazes me how it comes so natural to him.

I was in a cover band in the 80's when Guns N Roses came out. We had learned every song from the Appetite for Destruction album. We would play different ones each night we played, usually about 4 songs by them each night. People went nuts because we were the only band at the time doing those songs. This was before Sweet Child O Mine had been released as a single. We'd listen to the album on the stereo and a lot of times they'd isolate Izzy's and Slash's rhythm parts on different sides of the stereo, so me and the other guitarist would work out those parts separately because it makes a huge difference in the sound. I really enjoyed Slash's style at the time and learning the lead guitar parts, the solos and everything. I haven't studied anything of his since that album though but I like him as a guitarist. We met the band when they opened for Alice Cooper on that tour and they were all friendly and signed our tickets.

MichaelT: cool. I had a tape of "Live like a something suicide" just before it came out, and bought their "Chicago sessions" from someone within their circle. Allegedly. (No, not Vicky.)

Part of learning the songs, as you well know, is the interplay between Slash and Izzy.

It amazes me how young they were to be playing such amazing rock 'n roll. There's so much bluesy interplay there that belies their ages.

Loved Izzy's first solo album, too.

MichaelT: cool. I had a tape of "Live like a something suicide" just before it came out, and bought their "Chicago sessions" from someone within their circle. Allegedly. (No, not Vicky.)

Part of learning the songs, as you well know, is the interplay between Slash and Izzy.

It amazes me how young they were to be playing such amazing rock 'n roll. There's so much bluesy interplay there that belies their ages.

Loved Izzy's first solo album, too.

I saw a GNR concert on Axxess the other day. The only original members in that concert were Axl and Izzy. And, Izzy did a guitar solo that blew me away. I knew he was good but I had no idea he was THAT good. Good stuff.

When was that from? I remember Izzy left the band early on in the tour for "Illusion", or am I wrong? I believe he had his own bus. He'd just gotten sober, so I can imagine touring with a guitar player and bassist who drank a gallon of vodka a day musta gotten old REAL fast. Add a bipolar singer with Lead Singer Disease, and... Yeah.

Excellent guitar player, amazing songwriter. He was the backbone.

Having said that, Axl deserves a lot of credit too. I mean... "Coma".

Here's a live performance I love of that song:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qgnaYyFLCx8

It's stunning.