Gibson Brands Forums

This looks very nice.........

Buc McMaster

A 12-fret J-45 with a very good looking sunburst. Only three made. Used to own a 12-fret Martin D-18S that sounded glorious........wonder how this Gibson might "woof"......

J-45 12-fret

ps.......working on a local store owner to order one of these southpaw.....not saying I'd buy it, but I just might!

That guitar looks just WOW.

A few years ago I emailed a bit with a knowledgeable forum member here (Hogeye) about his 12 fret. I hope he chimes in on these guitars.

Hogeyes is just plain cool.. Ive strummed that one.. its a nice guitar.. Youll never see a twin of it either..

Gibson might as well have just gone with black finish. That color and fakey looking pick guard is the turn off for me, along with the 4G's I don't have.

I almost pulled the trigger on the recent '48-'49 J45 'as is' that popped up on Elderly a day or two ago, at $3500, needing neck set, re-fret, etc etc. That's my bucket lister. Would have had to part with a guitar or two to keep from abject poverty after that one, but it understandably didn't last long before someone grabbed it. I was just getting my repair estimate back when it disappeared. Did any of you guys see that puppy?

That neck though...

The neck description is a bit odd. Described as V-shape, but the given depth dimensions (if correct) are not out of line with a modern "standard" (not the slim taper)profile. The nut is wide, even wider than the Luthier's Choice neck on my Fuller's 1943 SJ.

Gibson might as well have just gone with black finish. That color and fakey looking pick guard is the turn off for me, along with the 4G's I don't have.

I agree completely....Gibson bursts are beautiful, not this one.

I think a 12 fret J-45 could be the end of the road for me. That is my version of the ultimate guitar. But I tried out a 12 fret SJ last year and it left me unmoved so I wonder if it is what I want in theory only. I am not a fan of the burst but I get that there is historical reason so, so be it. I do think the price for these "cooked top" guitars is too steep. In a few years I expect it to become more common. Even some Recording King have them. I can't see paying a premium to be on the cutting edge. They are priced too near a custom build for me.

Seems like the “blackbursts” on the Gibson 12-fret models have been getting progressively blacker with each new model, starting with the more mild versions on the Jackson Browne models, the Stage Deluxe Limited and S.D. Rosewood guitars, the 12-fret AJ, to the 12-fret Southern Jumbo Special and now the J-45. Must be easier from a production standpoint; I think even I could shoot a passable burst not much wider than the bridge.

Hey, Gibson- how ‘bout offering a couple 12-frets in those sweet 50's reissue tricolor bursts- that would be hard to resist:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-05%20at%201.18.37%20PM_zps6rs2kj8g.png

They're pretty black, Larry. I have, and have had a couple of guitars with this burst. Here's a 12-fret SoJo that big-time internet Gibson lover/flipper Dangitman had thru his doors:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-05%20at%201.47.25%20PM_zpsuhjj4oxn.png

One advantage of more blackness- much more straightforward lacquer repairs to the top.

They're pretty black, Larry. I have, and have had a couple of guitars with this burst. Here's a 12-fret SoJo that big-time internet Gibson lover/flipper Dangitman had thru his doors:

Screen%20Shot%202017-01-05%20at%201.47.25%20PM_zpsuhjj4oxn.png

One advantage of more blackness- much more straightforward lacquer repairs to the top.

That just looks like a bad paint job-didn't know when to stop spraying the black.

The 12 fret j45 reminds me of the Jackson Browne model i had for two years, nice guitar but could not agree with the neck, so it moved on. Also think a less subtle burst is nicer. My 2016 j45 vintage has already greatly surpassed the JB, with only 6 months of playing it.

Archived