Gibson Brands Forums

"Well, I NEVER!"

Pinch

See topic description.

I'll go first. My Chemical Romance - "The black parade". Been a bit. Love that album.

From the shameful ripping off of Pink Floyd's "The thin ice" on "The end", to... Hey, wait a min here... There's something here. YAH, it's wrapped in Green Day-esque Americana, soundwise - the 00s sound, not the album - but...

Oh, man. "Mama"? "Cancer"? Great stuff.

Then you get to "The sharpest lives". That, my friends, is not only a great song "within the genre", but an awesome lyric. I mean, super good.

I've checked out their other albums, and I haven't heard a single song I don't semi-hate.

But that one album... I don't even like the "genre format". It's too compressed in the mix. It's over-produced. It's too "radio".

Spotify it. You'll be surprised. Two iffy songs, and they woulda been lauded by Lars Ulrich had they been Oasis demos with a rough sound.

In the MCR pop punk/emo/post hardcore realm, the first Fall Out Boy album, Take This to Your Grave is IMO the best example of 'energy' being perfectly captured on tape.

From start to finish I'm jumping around, singing, jamming along and having a good old time.

I can't even listen to anything they've released in the last decade though. sad.

In the MCR pop punk/emo/post hardcore realm, the first Fall Out Boy album, Take This to Your Grave is IMO the best example of 'energy' being perfectly captured on tape.

From start to finish I'm jumping around, singing, jamming along and having a good old time.

I can't even listen to anything they've released in the last decade though. sad.

I love them guys.

I know very few of their songs, but I know the singer when I hear him.

Just last weekend we were at a joint we've been regularly playing for the last year or so. Late at night when the sports stuff is wrapping up, one or two of the big screen television machines will have concerts on off the video jukebox type stuff. Fall Out is almost always on one of them and I scurry over with my wine and enjoy between sets and when we are done. Complete professionals, I admire them and want that gig.

rct

Im not sure about albums...

I know I listen to some stuff a lot of you wouldn't like, but I have no issues with it :) Stuff like The Prodigy and quite a bit of Rap music.. Cos I grew up in the 80s, I got in to that sort of music the at the same time I did rock music as they were both quite prolific at the time..

BUT theres other stuff I guess I should hate cos its soooo broad. Like some pop music I have on compilation CDs that I would never otherwise normally listen too, but its only some songs certainly not full albums... Like I like a couple of Lilly Allen songs (ok shoot me now :) ) .. I donno I guess its just easy listening which may be produced well or have a good hook or clever lyrics or something I lock on too.

I'll probably get crucified for this one but Lady Gaga - Fame Monster. I didn't like the electronic dance versions as much as I did the solo versions where it's just her singing along with playing piano. That's one that wasn't a typical purchase for me. I also have quite a few Blondie albums that I love. And, The Bangles were one of my favorite bands as well. Most people know me as an Iron Maiden/Judas Priest/KISS kind of guy but I listen to a lot of different music as long as it's not rap/hip hop or anything like that.

This is going back a ways. But sometime in the early 90s I somehow acquired a Best Of or Greatest Hits CD of Squeeze. I thought of them as some girly pop band, but ended up playing the sh!t out of that CD. Wish I could find it now.

Love Elvis. Seen him twice and I wished he hadn't released it either. Played it maybe twice.

Every Elvis has his Army.

Yes, the Goodbye Cruel World album.

Not every EC fan's cup of tea, for sure.

I guess it's just that I was deep into the Trust album and Imperial Bedroom when I was in the beginning stages of a torrid affair, while living in Germany.

And then Punch The Clock while balls-deep into the affair.

Goodbye Cruel World came along when I was wising up, breaking it off, and getting over the girl.

I can remember staying in a Brussels, Belgium Novotel, and thinking that the song The Deportee's Club just fit that time and place.

And the song Peace In Our Time just moved me beyond description.

:unsure:

Archived