Gibson Brands Forums

New Purchases or your favorite

Holiday Hoser

Anybody want to showcase any new purchases or your favorites?

I recently plunked down for a new Les Paul (not the real deal I have 2 already} but a Korean beauty too cheap to pass up.
Qdiq1sA.jpg?2
Plays like a dream and as I always name my guitars and asked my wifey what she thought would be a good name for our new addition. She texted me back and in a one word reply
said LASTONE. 
????? LASTONE, I thought it's not Italian. No, she said, Last One!
With my current addition that brings my total to 16 guitars. She said she was going to find a Democrat to RED FLAG my *** and confiscate my arsenal of axes. Maybe we need background checks to see
if your mentally stable to purchase another guitar?

Newest purchase is my Hummingbird that I got a couple of days ago - loving it so far and it makes a pleasing alternative to my Martins.

Favourite guitars? Well, electric-wise it is a very closely run race between my HP Les Paul and my Firebird - I can't choose between them right now.

Acoustic-wise, well my absolute favourite is my D-45 but I have to say my two Gibsons, the Hummingbird and my J-15, run it very close, with a special mention to my D-28 as well.

Nothing new to show - the Maple AJ Custom is in my collection for some weeks now.  And db Flexsys FM10 floor monitors and an ACUS one 8 acoustic amplifier are useful but not spectacular.

Wainting which treasures will appear in this thread ....

• Like 1

I have 16 guitars, I am attached to all of them to one degree or another...  There's really nothing I  need or want to move on from.

but these 2....  are hands down the ones that get by far the most attention.

2016 SJ200

33876458_10209548149460113_3539326113039

1995 LP Standard Wine Red..  (Dark, I know but it's wine red) the Bigsby mod is after market,, w/Vibramate  easily reversed.

51503777_10211207201055366_5106661354110

Edited by kidblast

I can imagine why they have your attention!  

The Bigsby Paula is cool! Do you really use it or is it Just for optical Tessins? Background: my lead guitarist of my Bluesrock band has a Tele modified with a Bigsby - cool look, toi - and is now searching where to use it. 😉

It's been a while since I bought a guitar, not that I haven't been tempted. My wife tells me I'm out of storage room. Over the years I never really gave a thought about that aspect of growing a collection, but she's right - twenty six takes up a lot of space. :-k

Anyway, I can't resist posting some favorites  -

Acoustic 6 - 2008 J200

xNC6ltF.jpg

aFH1F8O.jpg

Acoustic 12 - 2007 Guild F412

uhHLCYE.jpg

YN1d0uA.jpg

Electric 6 - 2010 ES-359

Nq4moEO.jpg

Nzy7L1y.jpg

Electric 12 - 2010 Ric 360/12 with a 12 saddle bridge

A1Gf3j1.jpg

I like seeing pics of all those nice acoustics! Favorite Gibsons? It's hard to pick a favorite, but...

I just got an L-00 last month, no pics yet... It's given me a whole new respect for small guitars. Not boxy or subdued and really a good acoustic to sing with. This is my last one, honest.... 😄

Now to make up for the lack of pics of the L-00.

SJ-200 Western Classic, I bought it about a 6 months ago. The rosewood back/sides really gives this SJ a nice full sound.

cFH1j0Jl.jpg

BcOwLIZl.jpg

The J-29. I looked for one of these for a few months and found this NOS 2016 model on the net about 7 months ago. It's loud and proud, pretty much sounds like you'd think a rosewood J45 would.

GH20olyl.jpg

UgaFGufl.jpg

Edited by TomPhx

I just bought this earlier this week. Gets here Monday. I borrowed the picture from the seller (hope he doesn't mind). This will be my 4th songwriter and it's a 2011 custom shop with ebony fretboard. The 2009-2011 custom shop and standards of this model are my favorites and I wish they would start making them again. The studios are great, but the higher end models they produced from 09-13 (09-11 especially) were spectacular. Glad to have one again.

songwriter-11-cs.jpg

19 hours ago, docr said:

I can imagine why they have your attention!  

The Bigsby Paula is cool! Do you really use it or is it Just for optical Tessins? Background: my lead guitarist of my Bluesrock band has a Tele modified with a Bigsby - cool look, toi - and is now searching where to use it. 😉

Oh ya, I use it, absolutely.    Not the kind of thing you're using ALL the time, but in certain moments in tunes, they are just the thing.  Consider something as simple as Stormy Monday,  or Midnight Blues, lots of places in a songs like that where you can air out a chord, and just give that bar a little shake..  tuning stays good, Big Bends Nut Sauce is my friend..   We also do a few Johnny A tunes, and for some of  those covers, if ya don't have one,  somethings missing..

My favorite is my 2006 faded cherry  sunburst Gibson Custom Shop J-45 1964 Reissue.  My second favorite in my collection keeps periodically changing.  Right now it is my 1965 faded cherry sunburst LG1 when mic’d with a  Fishman Rare Earth Humbucking sound hole pickup.  

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

26 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Here's my latest purchase. '94 Gospel getting some fretwork.

gospel%20frets%201_zpssrif04wb.jpg

gospel%20frets%202_zps6kmhfjlc.jpg

I own a 1994 Gospel Reissue.  Natural top, also.  Great guitar.  A real workhorse.   Far exceeded my expectations over the years.  I bought mine, or more accurately traded for mine, about 14 years ago.  It was my main guitar until about  2 years ago, when my 2006 J-45 really opened and then stepped up to become my main guitar (at gigs, at jams, at home).  But, I still also like playing my 1994 Gospel.

Best of luck with it!

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Frets came out nice. The saddle had a tapered bottom which isn’t unusual for setting on a piezo strip but it had been removed.  I squared it off but now it’s too low so I’ll make s new saddle.  After that the nut slots then it should be ready. 

Lately I’ve had SERIOUS G.A.S., I think I’ve purchased like 8 guitars in the last 2-3 months. My latest acquisition is a 1986 Alvarez YAIRI DY75 which I think may be one of the best sounding (and best looking) HD-28 style guitar Ive ever held in my hands. Seriously, I’m at awe everytime I strum it, a definite keeper. I dont have a pic to post but these guitars are VERY much worth trying out. Ive played 4 of this model and 3-4 were Martin killers (the one seemed to lack a little in tone to my ears, but it was a complete CANNON, very loud, and was also the newest one made). I think its filled my itch for a new guitar, for a while at least😁

2 hours ago, Boyd said:

No new guitars, but today is NHD😎

nhd1.jpg

nhd2.jpg

Nice, I bought a Hohner special 20 about 2 months ago, then found a great deal on a lot of used harmonicas (I made sure to completely disassemble and thoroughly clean them before using), all nice hohners (not the $10 ones). Unfortunately, some of the harmonicas contain nickel apparently (and I thought all of the nicer Hohner harmonicas had stainless steel caver plates, but I guess not) so after about 30 minutes of playing them, the next day my lips were broke out. I guess Ill have to stick to guitar

• Like 1