Gibson Brands Forums

The Who are the first

Navy Vet.

43 minutes ago, kelly campbell said:

Why was The Who first?   Dont get me wrong I love the Who but the stones and Beatles to name two might be considered as the first??

The article gave no reason or explanation.   I'm guessing that The Who are a active band but more importantly their charity work for Teen Trust may have a lot to do with it. They raise millions in the UK and US for teenagers undergoing cancer treatment. They have established special units in hospitals just for teenagers undergoing cancer treatment. And lastly they are still a damn good band.  

And maybe,... they are 'my generation.'

But to be sure they are the first of many to be inducted. Britain gave the world a lot of great bands. Really they gave us the best bands in my opinion.

Edited by Navy Vet.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Navy Vet. said:

Britain gave the world a lot of great bands. Really they gave us the best bands in my opinion.

I give them some of the best bands (counting bands and individuals)  Beatles are first IMO, then the conversation goes to Zepp, Stones, and right with them is SRV, Bob Dylan, Jimi, The Pixies, ACDC, Neil Young...

Will be fun watching who they add, when and with what fanfair

Edited by billroy fineman

40 minutes ago, billroy fineman said:

I give them some of the best bands (counting bands and individuals)  Beatles are first IMO, then the conversation goes to Zepp, Stones, and right with them is SRV, Bob Dylan, Jimi, The Pixies, ACDC, Neil Young...

except for Canada ay?  (Rush, hard to top them guys)

Organisers plan to lay more than 400 stones in the next 20 years, with 20 in the works for 2020. Acts including Madness, The Clash.

All Londoners.

Not saying this thing (whatever it is) is going to be restricted to Londoners, but perhaps it's reasonable for them to start that way?

The Stones weren't a true London band, in terms of where the individual members came from, originally. More the Home Counties (the counties that surround the City of London), with the exception of Brian Jones who came from even further away - Gloucestershire. Perhaps that explains why the Who were the first, and the Beatles have yet to be even mentioned?

If it is London-centric, the Kinks belong in there, too, ASAP.  A proper Norf Laandan band.

In a way, I hope it is regional (to London). There's already the Hall of Fame in Cleveland, OH, all of the North John Street area of Liverpool (my home town) is devoted to Beatles' memorabilia...

I'd say, all these years later, half a century after his death, what difference does it really make laying a paving stone as a memorial to someone like Hendrix, his legacy long-since secured, in a city thousands of miles away from his home in Seattle? But in a way Hendrix has a pretty strong connection to London, too. By that logic, if he's included, I'm sure Stones' fans won't have long to wait.

But with 400 stones to lay, I'm guessing this will end up looking like a classic rock radio station's playlist, embedded in cement.

Edited by Lord Summerisle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, billroy fineman said:

Never discount 10cc. They were a great band.