Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

What I do with all albums is burn them onto a CD-R with an Hhb Burn-It Plus and the sound is pretty close to the album.  The preamp used makes a MAJOR impact on the quality so I used a Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp with a Jolida JD-9 phono stage and that gear has a a really crisp sound to it.

To answer your question, I use a CD-R of Zappa's Apostrophe' to see if things sound right.  I can tell within a few seconds with that wind in the beginning if it'll cut it or not.  Some gear will make that sound tinny or distant but not this stuff, it's spot on.  

Then there's Tina Turner's vocals and that guitar part a few minutes into it, that album has so many things going on.  Then there's that fart sound after I injured the fur trapper, that all has to sound right.

My record cleaning machine isn't pumping fluid for some stupid reason SO back to it.

That was easy, the plastic gear housing split from old ago so some Loctite Super Glue and back in business.

Edited by SteveFord

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

What I do with all albums is burn them onto a CD-R with an Hhb Burn-It Plus and the sound is pretty close to the album.  The preamp used makes a MAJOR impact on the quality so I used a Sonic Frontiers SFL-2 preamp with a Jolida JD-9 phono stage and that gear has a a really crisp sound to it.

To answer your question, I use a CD-R of Zappa's Apostrophe' to see if things sound right.  I can tell within a few seconds with that wind in the beginning if it'll cut it or not.  Some gear will make that sound tinny or distant but not this stuff, it's spot on.  

Then there's Tina Turner's vocals and that guitar part a few minutes into it, that album has so many things going on.  Then there's that fart sound after I injured the fur trapper, that all has to sound right.

My record cleaning machine isn't pumping fluid for some stupid reason SO back to it.

That was easy, the plastic gear housing split from old ago so some Loctite Super Glue and back in business.

You had me a Zappa Apostrophe'.

On 2/21/2021 at 2:11 AM, mihcmac said:

Last Saturday.......This pic from a video of a tablet propped up on a workbench running a FaceTime connection with a guy in Florida watching us jam, with what he see's in the lower left corner. Recorded using 3 tablets, one capturing this video of the tablet on the work bench running FB another recording the video in the lower left.

bxdz6SH.png

Today we did it again, with improvements.

Brer mihcmac, 

That is a quite a jam, and a technological feat. 
I admire you. 

I just want to know what's going on back here. 

🤔

xCuWNxh.jpg

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

Brer mihcmac, 

That is a quite a jam, and a technological feat. 
I admire you. 

I just want to know what's going on back here. 

🤔

xCuWNxh.jpg

I have no clue, that image was coming from Florida, family photo's I guess..

• Thanks 1

Went to work. We tried to run the wind tunnel and finish the test on a model  from last year. Guess what, after not running since last March, it didn't want to play nice. It is something in a high voltage cabinet. I only work on 480 VAC and below. When it comes to voltage that blows parts of your body off when you get shock by it, you can't pay me enough to work on that stuff.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Oh that Elly May Clampett. One sexy Hillbilly.

I do love my straw hats, I don't see Elly May but I do see a large photo of a little girl holding onto her dad. We are kind of country here in the jungle. Most of the land on this side of the island is ether agriculture or national forest.

My 339 case should be here Monday, I think I will go out and enjoy the hundreds of miles of coastline  while I wait.

Edited by mihcmac

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Went to work. We tried to run the wind tunnel and finish the test on a model  from last year. Guess what, after not running since last March, it didn't want to play nice. It is something in a high voltage cabinet. I only work on 480 VAC and below. When it comes to voltage that blows parts of your body off when you get shock by it, you can't pay me enough to work on that stuff.

What kind of voltage are you talking about?

4 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I do love my straw hats, I don't see Elly May but I do see a large photo of a little girl holding onto her dad. We are kind of country here in the jungle. Most of the land on this side of the island is ether agriculture or national forest.

My 339 case should be here Monday, I think I will go out and enjoy the hundreds of miles of coastline  while I wait.

Paradise I’m sure, Hawaii is a dream for me.

Took some dust and whatnot off my fretboard with a cloth after playing. Pretty lightly. Then noticed it was "only" 95% cotton. Got a little concerned. It's been lemon oiled before too, so there's a sealant. Looks fine. Should be fine, right? 

My OCD - For some reason, it's flared up for the first time in ages. It sucks. 

I dunno, that 5% will get you every time.

Just kidding, I wouldn't have even noticed and I doubt your fretboard will, too.

Worked, played guitar, watched two long interviews with first Dave Davies and then Ray Davies from a couple of years back.  It's kind of out of sight out of mind and then a shock when you see that they're not still young men like you'd last seen then.  

Kind of like that weird old fart in the mirror, where did he come from?

42 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Just kidding, I wouldn't have even noticed and I doubt your fretboard will, too.

Worked, played guitar, watched two long interviews with first Dave Davies and then Ray Davies from a couple of years back.  It's kind of out of sight out of mind and then a shock when you see that they're not still young men like you'd last seen then.  

Mm. I went a bit overboard. At least future generations can use that post to diagnose nut-dom.

So I'm good for something. 

I think Covid quarantine is eating at my brain. 

Edited by Pinch

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Love The Kinks. Seen 'em twice. Those brothers love punching each other. The Oasis tools have nothing on Ray and Dave.

6 hours ago, Pinch said:

Took some dust and whatnot off my fretboard with a cloth after playing. Pretty lightly. Then noticed it was "only" 95% cotton. Got a little concerned. It's been lemon oiled before too, so there's a sealant. Looks fine. Should be fine, right? 

My OCD - For some reason, it's flared up for the first time in ages. It sucks. 

Read somewhere guitar techs cleaning up gunky fretboards will use super fine steel wool.  So, I think an only 95% cotton cloth would be ok - probably better than 100% .     That said, I only use flannel on my guitars.  What'd I do today?  well, yesterday - I  held a 'field day'  on my  banjo  -  metal polish imbued cloth on the chrome parts: getting under the brackets, etc.  Might have brushed up against the maple rim a few hundred times - but I'm sure it's OK.  

Thank you, guys. I knew I was going off the deep end there. But that's OCD - it's irrational by nature. Usually not a problem, so it's annoying when it flares up. 

I do think this whole quarantining business is getting to me. And many others. Can't wait for the vaccine. 

Oh man... Today was a long day in every way. One of those days when it's microwaved pizza and movies on the phone on your back. 

Edited by Pinch

19 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Paradise I’m sure, Hawaii is a dream for me.

Hawaii was always a dream for me, until I actually came here and found lots of mainlanders building their dream homes. On the Big Island many people built in areas in Lava Zone 2 which was effected by the last lava flow. Quite a few B&B's in Pahoa were in the way of the last flow, which you can't always tell which way its going to go. I live in Lava Zone 3 which is less likely to be effected. Life on a volcano can interesting, but I enjoy it, being able to travel from sea level up to 13.5k feet in a short period time can be fun.

I originally came for a visit and stayed.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Hawaii was always a dream for me, until I actually came here and found lots of mainlanders building their dream homes. On the Big Island many people built in areas in Lava Zone 2 which was effected by the last lava flow. Quite a few B&B's in Pahoa were in the way of the last flow, which you can't always tell which way its going to go. I live in Lava Zone 3 which is less likely to be effected. Life on a volcano can interesting, but I enjoy it, being able to travel from sea level up to 13.5k feet in a short period time can be fun.

I worked out at the Coast Guard base for a few days in Hilo, maybe in '07. I lived on Oahu for 18 months in '92 - '93.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper