Gibson Brands Forums

Does your wife/girlfriend love guitars?

pearhie

2 hours ago, Fish Crumpet said:

Wear armor.

I believe we all should keep our Politics to ourselves.. Just Vote... I don’t need anyone telling me I should be this or that or how to live or how to Vote.. That’s my personal business...

I did like “Journey to the Center of your mind”.....

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I believe we all should keep our Politics to ourselves.. Just Vote... I don’t need anyone telling me I should be this or that or how to live or how to Vote.. That’s my personal business...

I agree with you on the keep your politics to yourself, but Neil Young, Bruce, Bono and a host of other that make more money than most of us like to tell us how bad we are for not voting their way. All of em can go suck it and see.

Hibernation on Double Live Gonzo went on for 2 eternities and is just a wall of indiscernible feedback noise.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

AGREE.  We set the foundation for a dangerous precedent when we think we have the right to tell others how to think: it naturally leads to telling them how to vote.  Sgt.Pepper nailed it -  we need to tell these elitists to 'go suck it' to their faces. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

She loves me to play. But like guitars? I don't think she especially does. Though she did like the look of the Fender TC90 I briefly had. My last woman merely tolerated my playing.

So yes, it's nice that she wants me to play. Trouble is she often asks me to sing as well. 

Good for you to sing and play. I can play and sing on certain songs but not very many. Deb tells me that a lot. She says I'm off beat when I try to sing to some.  It's the difficult songs I have to concentrate on playing.  I guess not all play and sing?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Retired said:

Good for you to sing and play. I can play and sing on certain songs but not very many. Deb tells me that a lot. She says I'm off beat when I try to sing to some.  It's the difficult songs I have to concentrate on playing.  I guess not all play and sing?

I have a limited range and I forget words. Also I'm now paying for all the lyric abuse I did over the years. Such as California Dreamin opening line "all the knees are brown..." etc. I don't seem to be able to sing them any other way now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Retired said:

Depended on the song for me too.  My wife couldn't play, and hated her own singing voice, so she never was judgmental about anyone else's singing, no matter how bad.  Always claimed she couldn't do better.  I always claimed I sang in the key of "J".  [wink]

In that Dylan thread, many chimed in about how God-awful they thought Dylan's "singing" voice is.  But that's probably because those guys never heard ME  viciously destroy a perfectly good song!  [cool]

Whitefang 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I used to date the female keyboard player from a band I was in.  We were learning "Only the Lonely" by The Hotels.  I noticed she was playing the wrong notes to the into and helped her fix it.  Instead of grateful or even impressed by my ear, she was annoyed that I told her how to play her instrument.  It's sounds like you have found one of the "good ones".   At this point I have given up trying to find a good one. 

I found a great one. She is a fantastic, world-class singer too. I'm an OK singer, but she is a great singer (she gets all the hard songs). And she isn't a Diva by any stretch of the imagination.

Even though guitar is a transposing instrument, she knows that if the best key for her in a particular song is weird like C#, she will choose C or D to make it easy on the sax player or anyone who would want to sit in with us. Although I sequence our backing tracks, we collaborate on the arrangements and she offers some good suggestions.

I met her in another band long ago, and we hit it off from day one. I eventually married her and other than learning the saxophone, it was the best thing I've ever done.

I'm a lucky guy and I know it!!!

Insights and incites by Notes

• Like 1

16 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I have a limited range and I forget words. Also I'm now paying for all the lyric abuse I did over the years. Such as California Dreamin opening line "all the knees are brown..." etc. I don't seem to be able to sing them any other way now.

Haha, or?  "Both the knees are blown now, and the Skys are still blue, "  California dreaming for a brand new back?"  Lol. 

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Depended on the song for me too.  My wife couldn't play, and hated her own singing voice, so she never was judgmental about anyone else's singing, no matter how bad.  Always claimed she couldn't do better.  I always claimed I sang in the key of "J".  [wink]

In that Dylan thread, many chimed in about how God-awful they thought Dylan's "singing" voice is.  But that's probably because those guys never heard ME  viciously destroy a perfectly good song!  [cool]

Whitefang 

You're funny WF.  I can sing alright, I was in boys glee, madrigal, barbershop quartet and choir.  I sang baritone and bass.  Still do.  Is it Lou Rawls who sings "You'll never find another love like mine?"   Well, I'm close, really close, Lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I found a great one. She is a fantastic, world-class singer too. I'm an OK singer, but she is a great singer (she gets all the hard songs). And she isn't a Diva by any stretch of the imagination.

Even though guitar is a transposing instrument, she knows that if the best key for her in a particular song is weird like C#, she will choose C or D to make it easy on the sax player or anyone who would want to sit in with us. Although I sequence our backing tracks, we collaborate on the arrangements and she offers some good suggestions.

I met her in another band long ago, and we hit it off from day one. I eventually married her and other than learning the saxophone, it was the best thing I've ever done.

I'm a lucky guy and I know it!!!

Yes you are a very lucky guy from what you have told me. So am I. 

I'd say my wife is tolerant of my guitar hobby. She's cool with my modest collection of guitars and amps and my jamming and playing in bands. She even buys me stuff occasionally. 

But she doesn't have any personal interest in guitars and such. She comes out to about half my gigs but doesn't feel the need to be a groupie or anything. There are times when I know she gets annoyed with me playing in several bands as it takes up a lot of time and we miss other things because I have a gig or rehearsal. She also worries, rightfully, about me driving home after gigs and me not living the healthiest lifestyle. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, saturn said:

I'd say my wife is tolerant of my guitar hobby. She's cool with my modest collection of guitars and amps and my jamming and playing in bands. She even buys me stuff occasionally. 

But she doesn't have any personal interest in guitars and such. She comes out to about half my gigs but doesn't feel the need to be a groupie or anything. There are times when I know she gets annoyed with me playing in several bands as it takes up a lot of time and we miss other things because I have a gig or rehearsal. She also worries, rightfully, about me driving home after gigs and me not living the healthiest lifestyle. 

Especially if you play in bars with lots of cigarette smoke.  I remember one concert I should have left.  I couldn't get Deb to leave as it was the first time she saw Fleetwood Mac. The whole place stunk and I was sick for a week.  I told her "Never Again" at that time.   She performed many many favors to get me to change my mind, Lol. 

Wife? Girlfriend? Pffffttt! No clue about the first, barely recall the second! I'm not tall, handsome, or charming, I live in the middle of nowhere, and I have high standards. The math does not work in my favor on that one! The bright side is nobody can tell me not to buy a guitar!

I would really like to date a girl who likes guitars too. Do you think there is a chance to meet such girls online? I am thinking about hinge vs okcupid, and I am not sure which to pick. Maybe you have some experience dating guitar girls online and can recommend something to me here? I would appreciate any input, thanks!

Edited by shaquie

5 hours ago, shaquie said:

I would really like to date a girl who likes guitars too. Do you think there is a chance to meet such girls online? I am thinking about hinge vs okcupid, and I am not sure which to pick. Maybe you have some experience dating guitar girls online and can recommend something to me here? I would appreciate any input, thanks!

Find a girl who plays guitar. You will at least have something in common. Then, if she also becomes your best friend in the world, you hit the jackpot!

19 hours ago, Retired said:

Especially if you play in bars with lots of cigarette smoke. <...snip...>

I remember the days when everybody seemed to smoke.

As a sax/flute player and singer, I quit smoking in the 1970s. So when I would get home, I'd put the gear and my clothes in a utility room overnight with an open bowl  or two of white vinegar. It gets most of the odor out.

I remember having a regular gig at a private club in the 1990s. There was a woman who would always sit at a table stage-right of the bandstand. We called her "The Chimney". She chain-smoked all night long.

I'm glad people have to go outdoors to smoke now.

On 6/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, Fish Crumpet said:

If Covid-19 were an influenza virus it would certainly qualify as a 'bad flu'. But it's not an influenze virus.

Disinformation is dangerous. 3,600,000 dead people would agree if they could speak.

Methinx you make a distinction without a difference.    Since the flu is caused by a Virus.... the COVID illness is also caused by a virus....So there's that.   When I was sick with COVID....it FELT like the flu.... the only reason I know it was COVID is because my son was tested positive (and he was sick first).