Gibson Brands Forums

Some Bitter Cold Moving Way South.

Murph

I've got a few loose ends to take care of. I've got a few hours.

Many people will die in this blast. And animals.

Our lows will hit negatives a few times in the next few days, and that's unusual for here, with highs in the low teens.

Buckle up, Ya'll and help somebody if you can.

• Thanks 1

Yea the south lands aint usually all that well equipped to handle any heavy-duty winter weather.

I'm in New England , where will see temps in the teens and 20s over Christmas,  while kind of early for that, it's eventually a reality here

but it's the rain and heavy winds expected tonight into tomorrow that's got the weather guys on high alert.

So yea,, buckle up folks.

Sure.  It's the areas that very rarely get this kind of weather I worry about.  We're pretty much used to snow and cold here in MI.  of course usually in more moderation, but the heavy stuff we've dealt with a lot more often than in the more Southern states.  I got a new furnace just the beginning of the year.  Looks like I got it just in time.   Trouble is, my car needs a new thermostat and I haven't the dry, warm space to work in it or the tools anymore either.  And the repair places I trust due to Covid have only the owners doing all the work, no other mechanics and no way to run me home while I wait for them to work on my car and also no way to pick me up to get it back.  

Whitefang

I'm not complaining.  Sure, we got bitter cold in my area.  But nowhere near the amount of snow that was threatened.  It was 10 degrees when I got up this morning.  That's all I care to know.  I can do without that "real feel" nonsense.  😛

Whitefang

• Haha 1

Its windy as all get out in the N Myrtle area, and in the low 40's. It might deter the professional drunks form going out to their favorite Happy Hour spot tonight, but drunks being drunks gotta drink, and socialize, and smoke too. Their dog will probably be in toe as well. What a lucky dog that is.

• Haha 1

Hello all. Yes, so glad most of the snow that was predicted to hit here missed us. We got around 3".  But it started out -14 degrees with around minus 37 windchill.  Coldest I've seen except up in Minnesota way back when I still showed Dobermans.  Debbie & I are doing fine. She lost her aunt, Priscilla this year. We renivated her house to rent out and then My mother Passed away on a Saturday. The kicker was a day later, we lost my Doberman "Sundance." So it seems lonely around the house. Deb is gone a lot sewing quilts with her friend, Dorthy.  That gives me a chance to crank it up and play my guitars.  I play my chess Kasparov computer every night. It plays tough on level 4 but I beat. Going up to level 5, it never moves,  just thinks.  We have two vacation trips planned next year, the 2nd one is in September so I can't get another Doberman till after that trip. Hope everyone is doing fine and it was good to see guys still here.   It is getting harder to play with my arthritis.  My thumbs throb and also the pinky fingers hurt. Laid awake last night with the thumbs hurting.  But other than that, I am closing in on 70 in April.

Just now, Retired said:

Hello all. Yes, so glad most of the snow that was predicted to hit here missed us. We got around 3".  But it started out -14 degrees with around minus 37 windchill.  Coldest I've seen except up in Minnesota way back when I still showed Dobermans.  Debbie & I are doing fine. She lost her aunt, Priscilla this year. We renivated her house to rent out and then My mother Passed away on a Saturday. The kicker was a day later, we lost my Doberman "Sundance." So it seems lonely around the house. Deb is gone a lot sewing quilts with her friend, Dorthy.  That gives me a chance to crank it up and play my guitars.  I play my chess Kasparov computer every night. It plays tough on level 4 but I beat. Going up to level 5, it never moves,  just thinks.  We have two vacation trips planned next year, the 2nd one is in September so I can't get another Doberman till after that trip. Hope everyone is doing fine and it was good to see guys still here.   It is getting harder to play with my arthritis.  My thumbs throb and also the pinky fingers hurt. Laid awake last night with the thumbs hurting.  But other than that, I am closing in on 70 in April.

Oh, forgot, Happy Holidays to you all. Cant believe I've been retired now for almost 10 years as of May 31st next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retired said:

Oh, forgot, Happy Holidays to you all. Cant believe I've been retired now for almost 10 years as of May 31st next year.

Very nice to hear from you again and best wishes to you and Deb.  

Dig told us about Sundance - commiserations.  You gave him a damn good life.

• Like 1

Great hearing from you.  We are all getting older at the same rate: "One Day At A Time."    I've finally come to admit  I feel the cold more.   For a few winters, I was telling myself that my coats are not as warm as they use to be, wool sweater getting worn thinner.   Yesterday, our youngest son swung by to pick up some gifts he'd had Amazone send here. Our 11 y/o granddaughter was in thin pajama type outfit.  No jacket, etc.  It was windy and 30 degrees, she was fine.  Does it all the time.   I try not to take it personally.  Our 2 German Shepherds at least have the decency to 'act' like they're cold when I let them back in.    Sorry about your loss - Sundance is fine - All Dogs Go To Heaven, according to a book I read. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rct said:

Cold weather in December is just so shocking.  Glad I was sitting down for this.

rct

Pretty cavalier.

13 dead so far, we know this will go up.

Hundreds of thousands without power.

Thousands stranded.

This storm was a bad MF.

Glad you're safe.

About 17 degrees here this morning and my heat pump went out.  Just blowing cold air, it's about 57 degrees inside the house and dropping.  Called repair man a while ago, but being Xmas eve not sure if I'll hear back.  At least the power is still on and the sun is out.