Gibson Brands Forums

Light bulbs

sparquelito

How long do your new LED light bulbs last, on average?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. One answer per customer, please.

• They fail more often than the old incandescent bulbs
    • They fail just as often as the old incandescent bulbs
    • They last months longer than the old incandescent bulbs
    • They keep working twice or thrice as long as the old incandescent bulbs

I'm just curious about your own experience with the new LED light bulbs, versus the old incandescent bulbs.

Some people swear that the new ones last many times longer than the old conventional ones, but that has not been my experience.
I find that the LED bulbs crap out just as frequently as the incandescent ones.

For the record, I have had my house checked out from top to bottom by a qualified electrician, and everything here is up to code.

Thanks in advance.

😐

AdobeStock_316296743.jpeg?w=1800

Just the fact that LED bulbs aren’t converting most of the flowing electricity through them into heat - and a lot of it - has me sold on LEDs. It’s a depends thing too because different brands are not all equal in terms of quality. I’ve had some that are garbage and some I haven’t had to worry about since I changed them years ago. 

In the USA on August 1st we will not be allowed to by incandescent light bulbs any more. Not sure if they are going to sell of what is on the shelf or not. I have had  new LED bulbs fail, but they are supposed to last a long time and reduce energy cost. Now some LED's do not like dimmer circuits. And most packs say they work with dimmers if they are designed to. 

I just hate that our government is taking choices away from us at a rapid pace.... you already can't get gas stoves in many parts of California..... next will be water heaters...... and Air Conditioners..... if you think light bulbs is the end....you're sadly mistaken.

I don't mind the LED lights in some places....but I also like the soft-yellow of incandescent bulbs in other places.....but I HATE that government officials want to make that choice for me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We keep the basement stairs permanently lit 24/7  and before LED bulbs, I was replacing  incandescents every few weeks. Now it's a surprising event if and when an LED bulb needs changing.

In this case, the new technology is better.

RBSinTo

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I just hate that our government is taking choices away from us at a rapid pace.... you already can't get gas stoves in many parts of California..... next will be water heaters...... and Air Conditioners..... if you think light bulbs is the end....you're sadly mistaken.

I don't mind the LED lights in some places....but I also like the soft-yellow of incandescent bulbs in other places.....but I HATE that government officials want to make that choice for me.

You can get LED bulbs in all different flavors and colors too. Soft White, Cool White, Daylight, even Super Daylight.  The Gucci ones you can program and yell at Alexa to change colors. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You can get LED bulbs in all different flavors and colors too. Soft White, Cool White, Daylight, even Super Daylight.  The Gucci ones you can program and yell at Alexa to change colors. 

Yeah....I got some 'yellow' LED's for my outside lighting since I have about 50 lights, I didn't want them to be "mix-&-match".

19 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

We keep the basement stairs permanently lit 24/7  and before LED bulbs, I was replacing  incandescents every few weeks. Now it's a surprising event if and when an LED bulb needs changing.

In this case, the new technology is better.

RBSinTo

I have some LED's in my kitchen.   We installed recessed lighting in there maybe 10 years ago.... never replaced any of them yet!   

I STILL don't want some government agency telling me what lights I MUST use!

In my music room I have several incandescent lights there....you can tell in the videos I make there.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

It's all just 'conditioning'  so we'll not get upset when they ban gasoline powered cars.     Remember those funny looking pig-tail light bulbs that were suppose to last for decades?  Save the planet...    

In California gasoline powered vehicles are already banned, (starting in 2035, I think).

Our power companies better start improving and increasing the grid capacity....but I suspect they'll just limit the days you're "allowed" to drive!

19 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

In California gasoline powered vehicles are already banned, (starting in 2035, I think).

Our power companies better start improving and increasing the grid capacity....but I suspect they'll just limit the days you're "allowed" to drive!

Better buy a the gas guzzling fuel propelled vehicle by 2034. The homeless don't need to gas powered cars anyway. By 2035 that is going to be the majority of people in Cali anyway.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Better buy a the gas guzzling fuel propelled vehicle by 2034. The homeless don't need to gas powered cars anyway. By 2035 that is going to be the majority of people in Cali anyway.

I'll be in my late 80's by then....probably won't be driving much anyway.....

Led just because it lowered my electric bill! Incandescent bulbs actually can last a long time depending on the location it is mounted and how many filament holders it has. In my experience though the biggest threat to incandescents is the initial voltage rush when turning them on. Forehead vs chandelier can also shorten a bulbs life!

I have many Lightbulbs that were installed when we bought our new Home 22 years ago that are still working.. They are Ceiling Lights that are on dimmers.. They don’t get used as often as the Lamps & other lighting but I’m amazed they’ve lasted so long.. 

Most Bulbs used for Lamps burn out as fast or faster.. Unless they’re LED..

I hated the CFL things. They were all the rage for a bit. In fact I put new sconce lamps in our bathroom in 2012 and they take CFL bulbs with two prongs instead of the regular screw base. The guy at Lowe’s said “get used to it, they’re the future”. I don’t trust what anyone at Lowe’s says now. 

I hoarded incandescent bulbs for a while. Not crazy like, but I probably had 50-75 on hand and was prepared to wipe the shelves if they were discontinued. 

Then LEDs got affordable. 

I did go around the house and changed every screw in bulb. One by one replaced the 4 ft fluorescent ones down cellar and in the garage with 4 ft LED as well. My light bill hasn’t changed. Each bulb was supposed to go from 60 to 9 or whatever. All of mine were 100 watt so it should have dropped. It didn’t. The light is better (I need LOTS of light to see clearly).  The only downside is the weird strobe type effect on guitar strings. Looks weird. And sometimes taking photos is screwy with shadows. 

Gubmint needs to screw. Supply and demand is a beautiful thing. Leave it be. Nobody outlawed CRT tvs and monitors, they just withered on the vine. 

Unless if you want to play Duck Hunt. 

When I moved here 10 years ago my new Power Company offered a package of free LED bulbs in a few different sizes and strengths.  I got them and put a few in around the house.  There is one in the living room that I turn on every night while watching TV - it goes on a little before dark and stays on until I go to bed (probably 5 hours average per evening).  Ten years and I haven't changed that bulb yet - still going strong so my experience is that they last a long time.

I think the major things impacting a home's electric bill are the  Heating Cooling system, washer/dryer, and all the kitchen appliances.  A half dozen light bulbs you use only for  a few hours at night - not so much.   it's like when they tell you to buy an new  $2,000 refrigerator - so you can save $3 a month on your electric bill.    Saw an article that said the average home would only save $5 a year switching from Incandescent to LED, but it factored in the cost of buying all new bulbs.