Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Pick?

neilpanda

Alright, Im not sure if this has been posted before (it probably has but Im too stupid to remember)

So whats your pick? Brand? Model? Gauge? me, I use Dunlop Gator Grips in 1.5mm or 2.0mm

367426.jpg

I also like to pull out the fender confetti's for special shows [thumbup]

The green guy is my go-to pick. Somehow, I've managed to hold on to it for years. I think it's a Dunlop - pretty thin, but hard and not much give. I tried the DAVA pick (red with black rubber grip) recently but can't really get used to it. Too much of a point on the end, but still didn't like it much after filing one of them down a bit.

I use the larger, pinkish Dunlop pick (.58mm) for my acoustic only. I don't like them for picking single notes. Feel like dinner plates in my hand. The far left V Pick is my most recent trial pick. I really like the sound of it with single notes, but not a fan for strumming. It's dubbed a "Lite Medium"...but this thing is as thick as a quarter and has absolutely no give whatsoever.

I guess, point being, regardless of brand, I really prefer smaller, hard picks.

picks.JPG

Yeah, plectum threads have been done a million times.

Anyhow;

I used Dunlop Tortex for years.

TortexStandard-11.png

Then I discovered Steve Clayton acetal...

guitarpicks_acetal.jpg

I prefer 1.0 thickness.

The white color means you can find it when you drop it in the dark. [thumbup]

Very seldom flatpicks. Very seldom. Like maybe a cupla times a year.

On the 12, thumb and steel fingerpicks.

Otherwise... electric or acoustic, steel or nylon, classical, folk, blues, rock... just fingers and thumb.

m

Been using these since I was 13.....so yeah, I'll be 30 in 3 months and still really can't get used to anything else. I use this pick 99% of the time. Sometimes the bumpy side for acoustic to give it a 12 string sound. Otherwise always the upper right corner for picking.

2238.jpg

The other 1% I use these:

24112114106.jpg

depending on guitar/song/mood I use everything from Clayton 0.38s (ultra-lights) to Dunlop 2.0s (Purple) Ultra heavy)

most often though I use Fender thin white celluloid (confetti?) on electrics and Fender heavy tortoise on acoustics.

tried "speed picks" (can't remember the brand) years ago during my "hair metal" days, too many went flying across the stage/room, so back to standards.

Been using these since I was 13.....so yeah, I'll be 30 in 3 months and still really can't get used to anything else. I use this pick 99% of the time. Sometimes the bumpy side for acoustic to give it a 12 string sound. Otherwise always the upper right corner for picking.

2238.jpg

[thumbup][thumbup] I love these picks,,

I use dunlop gaters and tortex picks...and railroad flattened coins...And, with a 40 year old Epi I just bought, came a Hello Kitty pick, which I won't use; it's too cute...

I also hold my pick sideways, with the tip towards my hand; only a small round end is used; apparently many jazz players do this.......

Every guy has his girl, but a guitarist has his pick..............hmmmmmm..................

Archived