Gibson Brands Forums

Gigging Amps

neilpanda

Some more curiosity from me. What amps do you guys use when you gig?

I use my Marshall JMD100 Hooked up to a 1960A cab.

AND my Traynor Custom Valve 40.

I might be adding to my arsenal of gigging amps and wanted to see what

you guys use. Not too sure about a budget, but I think I might go all

out on this addition. [confused]

Here's my rig:

Mark IVb medium head

2x12 Vertical Rect Cab loaded with EVM12L Classics

4x12 Carvin V412B loaded with 100watt Eminence BR-12s

Rack with a Power Conditioner, [in Amp FX Loop]DBX 266XL Compressor/Gate, HUSH Super C [in Amp FX Loop], Sabine RT1601 Tuner.

Also my pedalboard: Morley Little Aligator Volume, Morley Mark Tremonti Wah/Boost, Line 6 M13,

Korg Pitch Black tuner, Wampler Super Plextortion, FreeForm FX Black Label Overdrive.

Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus.

I just picked up an old Boogie 4x12 4YB half-back cab to retire the Carvin.

It's loaded with MC-90s up top and Eminence Vintage 50's in the bottom

My Silvertone 1484 with matching 2x12 cab. There is a compartment in the bottom of the cab that the head slides right in. FX loop? They weren't around when this amp was made. It's all pedals in the front.

This amp is raw and dirty like. You want pretty? Go see Bon Jovi.

My Silvertone 1484 with matching 2x12 cab. There is a compartment in the bottom of the cab that the head slides right in. FX loop? They weren't around when this amp was made. It's all pedals in the front.

This amp is raw and dirty like. You want pretty? Go see Bon Jovi.

dude I want one of those!

Once upon a time I had a Deluxe Reverb.

Worked fine for rock bands even in big arenas. Worked fine for country bands in 100-seat saloons. Worked fine with a mike and electric/miked guitar together for folkie/bluesy solo gig.

Traded it for a 120 watt tube combo with a similar setup that was hard on the back when I was 35.

The big mama sits at home. I run around now with a 30-watt acoustic amp with a multi-effect box. If I need more, there's a small pa.

I'd say a lot depends on how a band plays together and the collection of equipment. Bigger PA, smaller amps make better sense unless you're a masochist.

m

My trusty 1993 Peavey Prowler 1x12 combo w. Eminence Tonespotter ( a very awesome speaker---adds a LOT of bass to make it more like a 4x12 cab ) and Electro Harmonix tubes ( 2 6L6Gs and 3 or 4 12AX7As ). My pedal board for now is an SKB PS-8 loaded with a BOSS TU-3 tuner, Ibanez Soundtank Tube Screamer ( probably gonna get mods-- NEEDS MORE BASS ), Ibanez Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger, and Dunlop Crybaby into the front. 1980s DOD FX65 stereo chorus into effects loop. I am going to get a delay soon. Just makes for more god dang velcro time ( CRAP!!! ). My pedals are powered, too. I do not use batteries or a daisy chain. I still need a Marshall though. But you can't get that " greasy fried chicken " sound with British amps. The Marshalls are so articulate, dont you think?

• 2 weeks later...

i dont currently gig, but when I do start (which i plan to be sometime soon--hopefully the summer [biggrin] ), I will definitely be using my SG through the Peavey Delta Blues 1x15 combo, with my Lovepedal Eternity Burst and MXR Custom Shop 74 Script Phase 90 out in front. Hope to get a CryBaby and a BOSS Chorus pedal too, but who knows....

The more I've thought of this one...

I think we tend too much to think just of ourselves in terms of "whatta yuh want for a gigging amp."

Yeah, my DR was about perfect and worked well with a bandmaster, bassman and a tube pa in that first rock band those many years ago. <grin>

But then as I was moving into saloon country 'stedda dancehall rock, I got amp-itis. Rock or country, it's a disease that tends to take over one's head.

Why in the world did I "need" 120 tube watts in a roughly 90-pound combo? I dunno. The DR made more than enough noise for the 1970s in a saloon. It was incredibly versatile. The other guitar player was using something roughly similar to the DR and he'd been on the road making a living with it for a number of years.

The PA was a tube type but with a lot less output than my big mamma tube jobbie.

So again, why did I "need" the big amp? I really dunno. It's really nice for sound, but that much better than the DR? I don't think so. Power? Is it like wanting a hot car that goes 180 mph but will never go over 80? It seems so to me.

What are the other guys playing? What's the PA? What's the likely venue? Do you get what seems to be the sound you want if you're listening up close? How about when you're in the back of the saloon or the back of the crowd at an outdoor gig?

Notes Norton makes his living with music and ain't using an amp at all for electric guitars. So many of us have huge amps and aren't playing for money, or haven't for years, or aren't likely to in the immediate future. So... why have an amp that may or may not fit what you may wanna do with one sort of a band or another where a PA may make more sense?

I keep thinking that whether you're doing a solo or a band gig of one sort or another that the amp might best be considered to fit the band, not simply something we gas for.

Now... guitars are a different thing... I'd likely have dozens if I could afford what I'd like. But then... that's me.

m

Archived