Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone beat Insomnia?

Lungimsam

I’ve had chronic insomnia since I was 16.  Even as a small child I never slept much.  I have not slept more than 5 hours in one night in over 20 years.  

But caffeine?  No affect on me at all.  I drink coffee until right before bedtime.  Caffeine acts more like a depressant than a stimulant to me.  When I cut back on caffeine it doesn’t help me at all.  I’ve tried it.  

I’ve just become accustomed to the fact that I only need 4 hours of sleep a night.  I try to get more. But I can’t. 

I used to have insomnia at times before I retired.  Since I retired over 8-years ago, insomnia has become pretty rare for me.  I sleep when I’m tired.   If not tired, I don’t try to sleep.  I’m often awake at 3am, playing guitar and running my model trains.  Caffeine doesn’t seem to bother me much, or maybe i just sleep when I’m ready and don’t realize the caffeine is bothering me.   Maybe it’s just that my life isn’t very stressful.    Whatever, I’m much more relaxed than 15-20 years ago.  Also, my wife and I are often out-and-about most of the day, so lots of activity gets us tired.

Interesting reading through the comments. Myself?  Haha, I'm a Night Owl by choice. So I get up around 8:00 or 8:30 and maybe take a 2 hour nap sometime during the day. Then I stay up willingly till past midnight, Unless? I get very tired and go to bed early and thats after 11:00 for me. Usually I stay up till 1:00 to 2:00at the latest. I get my stuff done at that time as Debbie is in bed by 8:00 to 10:00 at her latest.  But then, I loved working 4:00 to 12:00 on 2nd shift a lot or my favorite shift was  12:00 to 8:00 in the morning. I always wake up refreshed for the day ahead. 

12 hours ago, brad1 said:

I’ve had chronic insomnia since I was 16.  Even as a small child I never slept much.  I have not slept more than 5 hours in one night in over 20 years.  

But caffeine?  No affect on me at all.  I drink coffee until right before bedtime.  Caffeine acts more like a depressant than a stimulant to me.  When I cut back on caffeine it doesn’t help me at all.  I’ve tried it.  

I’ve just become accustomed to the fact that I only need 4 hours of sleep a night.  I try to get more. But I can’t. 

Yeah, I have coffee at late night. I can go to sleep regardless of caffeine.  Even as a kid, I stayed up late. I always watched those late shows. Star Trek came on late,  The Johnny Carson show. Land of the Giants, Alfred Hitchcock.  Lots of good ones. 

6 hours ago, zigzag said:

My wife has RLS and doesn't sleep well. She started taking Melatonin with very good results, and it is safer than other RLS medications.

The thing I like about melatonin is, it's not a drug or a "knock you out" narcotic. 

It's simply a replacement for a hormone that your body doesn't produced enough of anymore, as you get older. 

The abstract in this article explains what it is that is being replaced. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK550972/#:~:text=The main function of the,and secrete the hormone melatonin.

I've been struggling lately too,  probably stress related..  

problem is falling asleep, it's remaining sleeping.

the wakeups after midnight for a bathroom call then getting back to sleep is a problem.  I am using Melatonin for those nights when I know I'm not getting back to sleep, and that does help for sure

6 hours ago, sparquelito said:

The thing I like about melatonin is, it's not a drug or a "knock you out" narcotic. 

And it is NOT recommended for RLS, but it seems to relieve it in my wife so she can sleep. She now sleeps longer and more soundly than ever.

James Clapper's book might do the trick for chronic cases.

Every time it starts to get interesting (say the Bin Laden raid and the aftermath) he goes into excruciating detail about how the different departments in the intelligence community interact and which acronym does what and exactly what their responsibilities are and how their duties overlap and are overseen by another dept and who is in charge of which department and oh god buddy we get the picture let's move the plot along but oh no because now they want to have oversight for the DNS which involves overseas satellite imagery which was previously handled by the DSLI or somebody or other so that involved bringing together the heads of the DNS and the DSLI and the whatchamafriggits from such and such an agency who used to be headed by someone you never heard of...

There are little tidbits of interesting information.  With Bin Laden, they asked the Saudis if they wanted his body and after they said nope they plunked him in the drink.  I always thought it was our idea for the burial at sea.

23 hours ago, kidblast said:

I've been struggling lately too,  probably stress related..  

problem is falling asleep, it's remaining sleeping.

the wakeups after midnight for a bathroom call then getting back to sleep is a problem.  I am using Melatonin for those nights when I know I'm not getting back to sleep, and that does help for sure

Melatonin isn't available here in the uk without prescription & the doctors I know wont prescribe it.

Though it seems that importing it may be allowed. The only person I have heard of ordering some from the US, had his package go missing stateside. So it'll be with a hijacked guitar somewhere.

I've had a total of 8 hours sleep over the last 3 days. Would somebody kindly hit me over the head with a rubber mallet?

• Haha 1

On 12/28/2020 at 9:41 PM, Retired said:

Yeah, I have coffee at late night. I can go to sleep regardless of caffeine.  Even as a kid, I stayed up late. I always watched those late shows. Star Trek came on late,  The Johnny Carson show. Land of the Giants, Alfred Hitchcock.  Lots of good ones. 

Interesting after posting this, Deb & I watched the 2 grandkids yesterday and both of us were knocked out tired. Could hardly stay awake. Now, All the hours I spent removing snow may had something to do with that?   

23 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Melatonin isn't available here in the uk without prescription & the doctors I know wont prescribe it.

Though it seems that importing it may be allowed. The only person I have heard of ordering some from the US, had his package go missing stateside. So it'll be with a hijacked guitar somewhere.

I've had a total of 8 hours sleep over the last 3 days. Would somebody kindly hit me over the head with a rubber mallet?

that's a drag ME.  It wears on one after a few days.  It's 6:12 am here as I type, I've been awake since 2:30 am.. 

Coffee is doing some magic at the moment.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

22 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I'm sorry... I read the word GAS and my brain went every place but cutting grass.  I guess that's a sign of a deeper problem??  :-k

It's coming in 2021...the GAS mower [scared][omg].... your wife or partner puts it on your head while you are asleep.

Next day;  "Ray, do you want this old  Gibson J-200 guitar of yours?"

(Puzzled) "Uh...guitar....? Guitar?  Why would I want one of those?"

HNY 2021. 

BTW was reading article (in The Atlantic) about melatonin and sleep vs Covid-19.  It doesn't like either.

Edited by jdgm

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I sleep pretty well after pushing a gas mower through an acre lot.

I got to where I couldn't push a mower up our hill anymore, Killed my back trying to get it up there so I went riding mower.  So much better. And one advantage I have is if I'm tired at any point of the day, Heh...I'm retired, Go take a nap.  Lol. Many times, Deb & I nap together. 

4 hours ago, jdgm said:

It's coming in 2021...the GAS mower [scared][omg].... your wife or partner puts it on your head while you are asleep.

HNY 2021. 

BTW was reading article (in The Atlantic) about melatonin and sleep vs Covid-19.  It doesn't like either.

Melatonin doesn't like sleep or CV-19?    Not sure I understand what you're trying to say. 

A couple of months ago we got one of those beds that you can raise the head, or the feet.  Problem is - it raises the head in a curve so it is hard on your back.  So, after the first couple of weeks, we've stopped raising the head. Foot raising is OK. But you don't ordinarily do that unless you've already raised the head.  Slick ads on  TV, though. 

13 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Melatonin doesn't like sleep or CV-19?    Not sure I understand what you're trying to say. 

Sorry, I meant the other way around.  Covid doesn't like melatonin and extra sleep also seems to build up resistance to it.

Here's the link to the article -

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/12/covid-19-sleep-pandemic-zzzz/617454/

Edited by jdgm

On 12/31/2020 at 4:41 PM, jdgm said:

and we said that there would never be a cure for this GAS thing... 

Brilliant!!!!!!!!!

• 9 months later...