Gibson Brands Forums

To sell or not to sell

Izzy

My Gibson LP Studio Alpine White 1993....is a sweet guitar. It was my first good guitar. It helped me realize I love good equipment. I have since gotten my true love, the SG.

I thought I could sell the LP. I figured it isn't really being played and it would serve another musician and I shouldn't miss it because I have my SG so I offered it to someone for $750...but now I am having second thoughts.

To sell, to keep...oh the guilt.

Anyone feel my pain? suggestions?

Yes I know, believe me I do.

You'll regret it.....even if it is just sitting there at the moment.

If you love it and can afford to keep it, don't sell.

But if you don't love it and don't use it - that's different.

If you have a guitar you never really bonded with and doesn't get played much sell it. If the guitar is special to you in any way don't sell it unless it means food on the table and a roof over your head or the guitar... 750 bucks will not help any long term problem, I'd keep it.

I have owned twenty guitars, and numerous amps. As I have grown older, my wife has told me if I check out before she does, she will not know what to do with all the guitars and amps I own. I had to agree with her. So I am now down to 7 guitars and 5 amps. I have no regrets, but I will add that I still own my first two guitars. I don't play them often, but I know I will never sell my first guitar, which my father bought for me and is 50 years old now. It means that much to me. That will be someone else's problem. I recommend you keep your first guitar for a while longer until you are 100% sure that you have no attachment to it.

Kenny V

My Gibson LP Studio Alpine White 1993....is a sweet guitar. It was my first good guitar. It helped me realize I love good equipment. I have since gotten my true love, the SG.

I thought I could sell the LP. I figured it isn't really being played and it would serve another musician and I shouldn't miss it because I have my SG so I offered it to someone for $750...but now I am having second thoughts.

Maybe this guys thoughts on his first real good guitar will help you decide. Best of luck either way.

... 750 bucks will not help any long term problem......

I know this too well from bitter experience; I sold my fabulous 60s Strat (sunburst, rw board, large headstock) in the 80s to pay some bills. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I recommend you keep your first guitar for a while longer until you are 100% sure that you have no attachment to it.

Yes to this too. I didn't. A fine Yamaha FG180 acoustic. ](*,) ](*,)

Your choice obviously.

were it me, I'd sell IF that helped me to justify buying something else I really wanted - i.e "honestly dear, I'm not adding a guitar, simply replacing one" [wink]

PS - if its a friend you are selling it to (or someone you will stay in contact with) just ask that if they ever decide to sell it they offer you first refusal - might make you feel less apprehensive about the sale even if you never buy it back!

Thanks for the insight, y'all. I feel like I'm going through stages of grief or something.

I do not need the money. I was just working on the whole...thining the herd thing. I currently feel no need for additional guitars, though a better amp than the ones I own may be in the future. Matbe it could finance that acquisition.

I just feel bad having decent gear that sits and sits. I have no regrets about leting go of my Nitefly or Flying V. Hearing that the new LPs suck (unless you spend loads of cash) and knowing that everyone wants one like mine shouldn't be a reason to hold on to it...just because it is desired.

Is this like dating the pretiest girl who is really nice but you have on chemistry? Maybe I'm keeping her from finding true love?

Maybe its not like that and I should think of it as an investment that will go up in value... :-k

Then there's the buyer. She works at GC and is a manageer. Seems really sweet and is excited about buying the guitar. I hate to break hearts [crying]

Hmm yes that is a hard one...

I too have had guitars sitting in a case and I hated it and sold them... I sorta regret and sorta don't....

But I too had an early studio (about 1993) as my first Gibby... was a lovely guitar, wine red, ebony board with trapizoids.... but I sold it cos I had my Classic and wasn't playing the studio at all..

I do wish I still had that one.. They don't make em quite like that any more.... In fact I have a pic of it

Imascaacscge4_zpsqpvjet8b.jpg

Donno... For me its different cos im a LP kinda guy and I have 4.. but if that's your only LP I have a suspicion you will soon miss her once shes gone..

BUT if you have a good home for her then that's something else...

Lol, I know that's not much help cos you already knew all that.. But that's the chance you will have to take... Getting a nice new amp will be good too :)

I buy and sell guitars routinely. Most of the time i dont regret selling/trading but it broke my heart to sell my J-15 acoustic and the alpine white gibson studio i owned had an Ebony Fretboard. The best fretboard ive ever played on any guitar ever. Even better than 3000 dollar gits. Think of that guitar not just in terms of sentimental value, but as your personal piggy bank. If you kept it you have a quick way to earn 700 bucks for emergencies lol. Cash it in, put it in the bank you may be tempted to spend the cash, but if the git just sits in your home you can sell it anytime later. However, if you have a really good job, money in the bank and no worries? Sell to your friend, good karma to make people happy. I gave away an epi sg to my friends son (hes 14) and he was so happy it has kept him in the house practicing 5 hours a day everyday and got him off the streets where he was getting into trouble.

Don't do it. if you don't need to dough, sit on it..

"Thinning the herd" servers no real purpose other than justifying buying something else later.

it's a crap shot if you wind up with something else that means as much or is as nice.

Eventually, you'll be drawn back to it, and you'll be glad you didn't

I've regretted just about every sale I've done, exceptions yes, but the rule, no.

I sold my 1996 Gibson Les Paul Studio (black, with gold pickup covers and hardware) over two years ago.

MUCH to the chagrin of our drummer.

"Dude. You were the original owner. That guitar sounded great, and looked even greater. Why did you let it go?"

I told him, "I just had to trust my instinct. I wasn't playing it, it was too heavy, and it killed me to watch it collect dust."

In the end, a local guy who really wanted it bought it off me.

He paid the fair price listed in the Blue Book, and he walked away very happy.

It does my heart good to know that the old black girl is getting played and loved.

A few months ago I bought a used 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Copper Top.

It feels better, it sounds better, and it seems lighter.

Is it?

I don't know, but it feels lighter.

And more to the point, some other dude sold it because it was TIME.

He was done with it.

He wasn't playing it, but now I am playing the heck out of it.

And loving it.

My current wife is somebody else's ex-wife.

She wasn't happy with him, but she's happy with me.

And I am happy when I am with her.

So sue me.

It's the yin and yang of the universe.

Sell it...... And then get something else. If you really miss it down the road, you can find another. Or it may find you again, you never know.

What he said ^^^

Get yourself another SG equipped differently from the one have. Bigsby, P90s, super hot 'buckers ... you'll have the feel you like plus some variation for when the other you wants to play.

Reading this...I'm feeling bad. For myself! You didn't sell it to me! :rolleyes:

You realize that only you can make this decision. Here's my input, worth every bit of my .02...

If you are anything like me, you find a guitar you genuinely bond with; in your case your SG. So the LP Studio sits...collects dust...you start to think about selling it. Then you sell it.

Three or four years down the road, you're still playing, loving guitar. But you tastes and styles are constantly changing. You start thinking about how, in your new [insert one or more] band, music writing collaboration, etc. an LP Studio would be great to have in your arsenal. Not to collect, but to use.

ALL the new offerings have the GForce and Molibdinum hyper-adjustable nut. You don't like that. So you look for a used Studio that was at least as nice as your Olympic White Studio....

you get my point.

Here are the ones I seriously wish I still had: '98 Fender 72 Telecaster Custom RI (MIJ); G&L ASAT Classic, translucent white, Fralin pups; '98 PRS McCarty (this one stolen- the only one not my fault relative to loss), '96 G&L Legacy in green "bowling ball" finish, three screw neck. :(

Just think about it. You don't need the money...Best wishes in whatever you decide!

Brian

Called the girl and broke her heart.

There is one just like mine for sale on CL Houston...same hardware and color and year! $1200...told her that was there, but sited sentimental reasons for pulling back.

I feel great. Last night I played the LP and it is amazing. I will never play her standing up but I have no problem sitting on stage. I would have definitely regreted it!

Thanks for helping me through this ^.^V

Good move my friend! I think you did the right thing.

And hey, when's the last time you heard "Ya know, I really regret keeping that guitar! Could'a sold the dang thing six times...but noooo...!"

Blessings-

Brian

Archived