Gibson Brands Forums

My Christmas Present

MissouriPicker

Last night my wife saw me looking at guitars on the internet. Been doing that a lot the last few days. I was looking at this one on the GC site. She asked how much it was. I said it down to 2179 and I've still got almost 280 in credit that I could apply to it. She knows me well and started laughing and said "Then go ahead." So here's what I ordered. It's already gone from their site, so this is off of my account page. I hope it allows you to see it,. 2015 Southern Jumbo. The only bad thing is that because of it being Christmas weekend, it won't ship until Tuesday........Once I saw the back of it I wanted it. I'll probably play it backwards so people in the audience can see it.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Southern-Jumbo-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-112215131.gc

Again, proving Mo'Pick is a lucky man. Lucky to have a wife to understand what makes him happy. 'Looks like a Southern Jumbo "Mystic". Mystic rosewood back & sides. If you look at the truss rod cover, the unusual font used for the letter "M" is almost discernible. Lotsa love here for the short-scale Gibson slope combined with rosewood. You'll being enjoying it by next weekend.

Keep us posted. . . Congrats!

Yeah, good question on the wood....lol.... I didn't even wonder about what kind it was. I just kind of thought it looked great....Just increased my browser zoom to 400 and the truss rod cover says Mystic (I think). Must be one of the Mystic Rosewood jumbos. Hell, I was assuming it was a hog like most SJs, but if it's rosewood, then that's cool too. Don't have any rosewoods at the moment and there will be more of a noticeable difference between it and a J45. Maybe there's really something "mystic" about the wood so that the guitar already has a thousand songs in it.

Wow, that is beautiful Larry! My guess is that the back is wild grained East Indian rosewood. It sure looks cool. I bet it sounds fantastic. Let us know some more details about the guitar, and of course a sound clip once you have it.

Lars

A big congrats. I guess I am lucky is that my lovely wife plays and loves Gibsons and has no problems with guitars coming into the house - as long as they say Gibson on the headstock. My X'mas present this year - the first three seasons of Black Sails on DVD. I feel a marathon coning on.

I said it down to 2179 and I've still got almost 280 in credit that I could apply to it. She knows me well and started laughing and said "Then go ahead."

Cool - happy soon-to-be NGD! And, of course, I'm sure you reciprocated by getting her a $2000 gift on a whim as well. ;)

Yeah, good question on the wood....lol.... I didn't even wonder about what kind it was. I just kind of thought it looked great....Just increased my browser zoom to 400 and the truss rod cover says Mystic (I think). Must be one of the Mystic Rosewood jumbos. Hell, I was assuming it was a hog like most SJs, but if it's rosewood, then that's cool too. Don't have any rosewoods at the moment and there will be more of a noticeable difference between it and a J45. Maybe there's really something "mystic" about the wood so that the guitar already has a thousand songs in it.

I have a new J-45 Custom with EI Rosewood and a new Southern Jumbo with typical Mahogany, they compliment each other very well. I prefer the Rosewood, the Southern Jumbo is currently my only Mahogany guitar. I have a Western Classic Mystic Rosewood and while I was not crazy about the crazy grain, I have learned that Mystic Rosewood is an EI Rosewood burl that is very dense and has a tone similar to Brazilian. How far is it being shipped? I am concerned about my next new guitar being shipped in mid January.

Pete, my guitar is coming from New Hampshire. It got shipped today, waiting for a notice from UPS on when it will arrive. With a bit of luck it will be out of the northeast before the next storm hits later this week. Temps for the ride to Independence look to be in the 30's to low 40's. I was hoping for warmer weather (like we've had here the last few days), but it could be worse. We'll see...........Thanks for your info on the Custom J45. From everything I've been reading the "Mystic" label comes from the denseness and designs within the wood (and doesn't mean the guitar will any magic in it...lol...). The wood is apparently from near the bottom of the trunk where the weight of the tree condenses the grain into tight patterns...Anyway, something like that......... Really looking forward to this guitar. I've read about the SJ for years. Time to finally try one. Not looking-for or expecting it to be better than my other Gibsons, just different and with its own personality. [thumbup] [thumbup]

Archived