Gibson Brands Forums

What are y’all doing

Navy Vet.

had breakfast with my buddy, went to the music store. replaced the 5 position switch in the strat, new strings. drank copious amounts of coffee, took a nap. had dinner with an old high school friend i havent seen in 35 years. more coffee, playing guitar running over some tunes i'll be playing at a car show tomorrow, getting ready to nuke some chicken wings, have a Yuengling, took my meds, sitting here typing this.

Edited by Karloff
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m currently on the tail end of a vacation trip in NY. It was my wife’s birthday wish, which I forwent a practice playing session with some friends and a Mark Knopfler concert. To compensate for the things I had to forgo for this trip, I’ve been to the play it loud exhibit at the MET three times and I might be going for fourths later today. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Nice big Sunday breakfast - porridge, toast, rosti, coffee.

Went to local music pub to try and get gig - told to come back in November.   And I will too.

On way home dropped in to Guitar Village and to my astonishment was treated almost like royalty.  I didn't really want to play anything (except they do have a Byrdland and an L5) but they insisted on showing me 2 new Gibson LP RIs - a 59 and a 60, both immaculate guitars with fabulous necks and boards - I slightly preferred the 59. 

Price - £5199 guitars (GBP, these are UK prices).  Made my day.

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Filbert said:

Is that the Guitar Village in Farnham? I am a Hampshire lad myself and know it well. I still have my Dad's Kramer Ferrington that he bought from there in the early '80's.

Yes......[smile]

(EDIT) - Kramer Ferrington?

(Billy Connolly voice)

A pointy-headstocked electro-acoustic Strat jobbie?

Pics?

Edited by jdgm
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sitting in Columbus OH tonight, on our way back to the great east coast after a week out in the woods.  Rental car broke. If you are a Hertz member, call tomorrow and cancel your membership.  Absolutely useless if you need anything at all.  We'll manage as we always have, by ourselves, on our own, we'll handle it.

rct

40 minutes ago, rct said:

Sitting in Columbus OH tonight, on our way back to the great east coast after a week out in the woods.  Rental car broke. If you are a Hertz member, call tomorrow and cancel your membership.  Absolutely useless if you need anything at all.  We'll manage as we always have, by ourselves, on our own, we'll handle it.

rct

Sorry to hear that RCT...did you enjoy the rest of your trip?

• Like 2

Tuesday early morning: Gardening is scuppered due to wet weather. So had to ask my gardening help mate to stand down. I do have a partscaster project that I have barely begun, but that will entail outside working also, so probably not.

I could visit my friend Anne in Southampton, but she's a late riser (daren't call before 10.30am) so I may just take a punt & get the train there. Whatever I do, I need to get out of the house and take my wet weather walking gear. 

bottom line so far: Dunno. Need another cuppa tea.

On 9/22/2019 at 8:39 PM, jdgm said:

Yes......[smile]

(EDIT) - Kramer Ferrington?

(Billy Connolly voice)

A pointy-headstocked electro-acoustic Strat jobbie?

Pics?

Just seen your edit - d’oh!

Yes, the pointy headed electro-acoustic Strat jobbie. It’s at the menders at the moment having a new nut fitted (old one had Araldite glued in it - don’t ask!) but it is the same as this one:

https://images.app.goo.gl/QushPvKcexnk6oyH7

My Dad was a paraplegic and being in a wheelchair made holding certain types of guitar shape difficult, specifically bowl backed and larger acoustic models as they slid off his lap too easily. The Kramer is quite shallow bodied so it was easier for him to hold. He never played it electrified, always acoustic. Anyway, it’s been stuck in a case in the cupboard for a few years so I decided I needed to spend a little cash getting it playable again. It also has a nasty dent in the back that happened when we moved house and that needs stabilising. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, kelly campbell said:

Sorry to hear that RCT...did you enjoy the rest of your trip?

Outstanding week or so in Yellowstone.  Got snowed on the way out, the pass down to Dubois was bad, Mrs drove it like a pro.  Overall a great elk rut week.

Columbus is a great town.  They have the Columbus Museum of Art, in which hangs one of only six(6) paintings in America by Artemisia Gentileschi(1593ish - 1656).  I promised Mrs we would spend two nights here and get to that museum.  We are spoiled by Philadelphia Museum of Art, the National Gallery down in DC, and the stuff up in New York and Boston on up to Salem MA, so we are schnobs about art.  This museum is fabu, Mrs ecstatic to see Bathsheba.  Great lunch there too.

Columbus has the other reason we always stop in this town, Watershed Distillery.  Their Noccino is made from Ohio black walnuts and puts anything we can get from Europe to shame.  Finally had dinner there after all these stops and the food is just as creative as the drinking.  If you are a Columbustanian you are indeed lucky to have these guys to feed you.

Still high from dinner, head home tomorrow.

rct

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rct said:

Columbus is a great town.  They have the Columbus Museum of Art, in which hangs one of only six(6) paintings in America by Artemisia Gentileschi(1593ish - 1656).  I promised Mrs we would spend two nights here and get to that museum.  We are spoiled by Philadelphia Museum of Art, the National Gallery down in DC, and the stuff up in New York and Boston on up to Salem MA, so we are schnobs about art.  

rct

Well I don’t want to come off as highfalutin art snob myself.  Now I never heard of the woman from the 1590’s but I have seen every mural painted on barns in Chilton County by Roy Crumpton and his brother Floyd. Now that’s some fine art.

• Like 1