Gibson Brands Forums

New Murphy Lab Models

Rabs

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I beat guitars up for free. Message me and I'll send you my address and of course you pay shipping both ways and I'll trash your new guitar for you for nothing. I do it all from light play wear to, dragged it behind a car for a mile, to the Full Monty of the Pete Townshend experience, of this guitars life is over relic-ing. Results may vary.

On the clip it says 09/03/2021. How did that guy go to the future and get a guitar and bring it back to today and make a video. 

Haha, thats right!  Yeah, I don't get it either? They screw up a finish and charge you more for it. Fast food places took away good meat and put in what they called slime and charged a lot more for it? I see kids and women walking around in new jeans with holes all over them  that look like their ready to go to the trash and people pay $100.00 for them. I told Deb I should have kept all my worn out holy bib overalls with welding burns and holes all over them and sold them for over a hundred bucks. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Retired said:

Haha, thats right!  Yeah, I don't get it either? They screw up a finish and charge you more for it. Fast food places took away good meat and put in what they called slime and charged a lot more for it? I see kids and women walking around in new jeans with holes all over them  that look like their ready to go to the trash and people pay $100.00 for them. I told Deb I should have kept all my worn out holy bib overalls with welding burns and holes all over them and sold them for over a hundred bucks. 

Yeah its the stupidest thing on the planet, and then you always get that one guy that says "well they wouldn't make em if they didn't sell'. That is some good logic. Well you ain't selling it to me. Didn't P T Barnum have a famous saying about one being born every minute? I'm not that guy. And none of your friends are gonna believe you just bought a real '59 LP.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Give me metric hardware any day of the week,

I hated working on Hardley Abelsons, I had to buy a whole new set of tools and try to guess what size that stuff was.

Errr,  big?

The older British bikes, of course, would throw in a couple of different types of hardware just because that's what they did.

It's enough to make you want to drag a Les Paul down the sidewalk in a downpour and then sell it at a premium.  

In the aircraft industry we had the constantly swap between imperial & metric. I punched the 25.4 conversion factor into my calculator for 37 years. 

The longest lasting Imperial size I can think of the the 1/4" BSW screw thread (you can get away with 1/4" 20 UNC) used for camera tripods.

We probably would have had to abandon imperial 30 years ago if it wasn't for Americans. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

yer welcome!!!!!!  🙂

Didn't we win . . . that little scuffle called  the American Revolution or was the the other guys. I live just a few miles from where Cornwallis had to surrender his sword, I used to drive past it 5 days a week when I was stationed in Yorktown. 

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Didn't we win . . . that little scuffle called  the American Revolution or was the the other guys. I live just a few miles from where Cornwallis had to surrender his sword, I used to drive past it 5 days a week when I was stationed in Yorktown. 

Yes. And as a follow up, then got your @ss kicked by the Canadians when you tried to 'liberate' them. 

I keep US and Metric sockets, just in case. 

My crescent wrenches work on both, as it turns out. 

Here are the prices I found for the Murphy Lab jobbies. 
I don't know what regular Gibson Custom Shop guitars go for, so I can say whether these are higher or lower. 
They seem to range from $4,200 to $10,500. 

https://www.gibson.com/Guitars/Collection/the-gibson-murphy-lab

Who could be expected to survive the onslaught of a wave of Canadians all hopped up on Labatt's Ale armed with hockey sticks like modern day insurrectionists?

North Koreans, maybe, but not us, where's the remote?

59 335 GC scratch n dent quality $5799

59 335 dumpster find $9299

I can't make up my mind and that stimulus check is burning a hole in my pocket.

• Haha 1

To the point of buying relics, but used... better prices and you deal with someone else's fu**ery. Dings, scratches, etc at a discount because you know how bad people are hurting for money these days... Screw buying a $7k reissue that was put in Gibsons freezer and razor bladed “strategically”... 

You know the guys relicing these guitars probably laugh hysterically when they make these haha! They’re like, “Can you believe someone’s gonna buy this s*** for more than I make in a month!” Then they continue to take the sanding belt to that beautiful base finish on some beautiful flamed maple... 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1

Dorky R9 owner here 😛

I watched the first 4 minutes or so of the video and honestly the guitars look impressive. I think if you’re into the relic type thing this is the most realistic I’ve seen. There is clearly no belt sander going on the finish

Personally I don’t even like the VOS finish and would never buy something like this. I like to buy a guitar that looks shiny and immaculate. I’m not saying I’m interested in one of these but it looks well done for what it is..

when I saw the relic case I actually laughed out loud. The case is the worst part of my R9 and it looks like they made it even more ridiculous. I also laughed when the guy hit the headstock on the case when he put the guitar in. I do that every single time with that case

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

Dorky R9 owner here 😛

I watched the first 4 minutes or so of the video and honestly the guitars look impressive. I think if you’re into the relic type thing this is the most realistic I’ve seen. There is clearly no belt sander going on the finish

Personally I don’t even like the VOS finish and would never buy something like this. I like to buy a guitar that looks shiny and immaculate. I’m not saying I’m interested in one of these but it looks well done for what it is..

when I saw the relic case I actually laughed out loud. The case is the worst part of my R9 and it looks like they made it even more ridiculous. I also laughed when the guy hit the headstock on the case when he put the guitar in. I do that every single time with that case

OK, maybe not a belt sander, but clearly parts of the guitar where they wear away finish to the bare wood - and clearly noticeable dings on various locations (heavy aged especially).  This is a relic...  I see TONS of these now on Reverb and you pay a few K more for this labor to relic.  Belt sander, whatever, there is finish missing around the headstock edges, worn finish on the backs of these guitars, etc.  Chemicals...  what then I wonder...  It is mechanically wearing down a finish prematurely. 

I'm with you on the immaculate guitar bit though.  That's my flavor of new guitar.  Always has been, always will.  I own 2 R9s, 2 R7s and a 68RI.  Love their Historics, but none are Gibson issued relics.  The VOS is typically the way these Historics come but the finishes are perfect on these with some crap on the HW to make it look old.  You can even polish that crap out if you so choose.  And with you on the cases.  They aren't as protective as they could be IMHO.  This is why I have a dedicated non-Gibson case to transport to wherever when the need arises. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

Look how dry the finger boards look. Even now with their 'better than a real 59' attitude. They do nothing to the board. They say they roll them.

I bet they discuss the price and roll about laughing .  How much is a bit of lemon oil? £10k UK is a shock. I'd want Tom to deliver it on a red carpet for that. 

• Sad 1

My company sells custom cabinets at a price that is very comparable to Gibson Custom if not relatively higher. Based on my experience in the high end custom cabinet business I think Gibson Custom’s prices are reasonable considering their costs and the fact that they are a business who need to make a profit..

These guitars aren’t for everyone. Complaining about the price tag is as silly as complaining about the price tag of a Rolls Royce or something. It has four wheels and says “vroom vroom” but it isn’t a Honda and shouldn’t cost the same

33 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

My company sells custom cabinets at a price that is very comparable to Gibson Custom if not relatively higher. Based on my experience in the high end custom cabinet business I think Gibson Custom’s prices are reasonable considering their costs and the fact that they are a business who need to make a profit..

These guitars aren’t for everyone. Complaining about the price tag is as silly as complaining about the price tag of a Rolls Royce or something. It has four wheels and says “vroom vroom” but it isn’t a Honda and shouldn’t cost the same

Yup and if anyone has seen what they do to relic these guitars it takes more time and such. Labor is usually the most expensive part of any business typically... But as I have said, not my thing and I like poking fun at them. I’m in the camp where I understand the cost but I’m saying that I just don’t have it in me to muster up the dough for one. It wouldn’t be worth it to me in other words. 

• Thanks 1

I've seen relic'd Strats that are awful - they actually do look like belt sander jobs in some cases. Gibson branded guitars generally seem to not look as bad - but then they also go to such effort to have nice transparent burst paintjobs that it seems counterproductive to relic the Gibson brands.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Do you have to go back in history more than 2 centuries to find an example of Canadians kicking anyone's @ss? 🤭

of course not. These ones are 20th Century. Thanks for asking 🙂

43 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Ah yes the Battle of the Rhineland - wherein the great Canadian commander Dwight D Eisenhower led his hosers to victory.  😆

Screenshot-20210313-080506.png

Low self esteem causing you to lash out at people you don't know lately?  You need some advice you probably don't want to hear.

Like my father used to say, "What the He[[ is the matter with you?"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:22 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah its the stupidest thing on the planet, and then you always get that one guy that says "well they wouldn't make em if they didn't sell'. That is some good logic. Well you ain't selling it to me. Didn't P T Barnum have a famous saying about one being born every minute? I'm not that guy. And none of your friends are gonna believe you just bought a real '59 LP.

I agree. O boy, I caught some sort of head cold from the wife & it's knocked me out for a few days coughing. Nights are much worse with no sleep blowing the nose and it constantly running.  Finally I gave in and prayed last night with all my heart & soul asking the good Lord to heal me and get me over this. I felt much better today. So I thought I never play the Gibson Gold Top much at all. Guess I want it to stay perfect, no scratches or anything to happen to it. But I might as well play it since I'm not getting any younger so first time I did a total setup on it. I played it before to get an idea what it sounded like and then started with the truss rod.  first time I ever adjusted it. It took 2 turns 1/8" perfect. I had put on some Earnie Ball Slinky M-Steel  10-46 strings on it and removed the 9's that were on it.  After doing the string height,  intonation and pickup height, The rear one was way off. I checked tuning again and played it.  Is it possible for a guitar to sound louder after a setup?  I swear it sounds louder with all the same settings on the guitar & amp and has more sustain than before. I've learned so much from some folks here that I would never attempt to do what I do now with a guitar. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 1:22 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I seriously considered several times on buying an Ventures Mosrite guitar, The banged up finish and chips with paint cracks wasn't what bothered me because they are played and date back to the 60's, and can be bought at reasonable prices but the frets worn down and all need replaced was the issue for what they wanted for them. Maybe some day the right one may come my way? 

2 hours ago, Retired said:

Is it possible for a guitar to sound louder after a setup?  I swear it sounds louder with all the same settings on the guitar & amp and has more sustain than before. I've learned so much from some folks here that I would never attempt to do what I do now with a guitar. 

Yes.  Heavier strings are inherently a little louder than lighter ones I believe.  Something about output being proportional to the square of the diameter?  

[thumbup]

I was thinking how embarrassing this whole fake old guitar thing is and if I owned the company I'd shut it that department down and try to pretend it never happened and then I spied the bit about how they feature

chemically-recreated plastics.

I must admit the error of my ways.    Take my 10 Gs and make me happy!!!