Gibson Brands Forums

Jerry Lee Lewis died

Pinch

And just the other day we were discussing how his death was a false report.  And what an odd feeling.....

I saw the report of his actual death shown on TV as I was on the phone wishing my firstborn a happy birthday!  [omg]

This may sound funny, but......  All those rock'n'roll pioneers only had one thing in common.....

They each had their own unique sound and performance style.  All that followed were copycats.  or amalgams of all of them.

But the Killer couldn't be copied.  Oh, you might could sound like him a bit.  Wear similar clothes, comb your hair like his, but you won't match his energetic vibe.  

Sho' 'nuff Rest In Peace, Bruh....

Whitefang

I've always been a fan of his music. Read his autobiography a few years ago. When I saw him in 1970, he was 35 years old and doing pretty good with his country music career. A couple friends of mine and I were with the local DJ who was MC for the show. He put on an energetic show and while the place emptied out before the next show, he just sat at the piano relaxing playing classical music and drinking water.

Remember when Elvis was censored from the waist down due to  his 'vulgar gyrations'? About the same time The Killler would often play with one foot on the keyboard. The camera would zoom in to highlight this trick but had to include his face in the shot. As a result, the world got a close up crotch shot as well. Talk about one-upping the King!

• Haha 1

If you visit Sun studios in Memphis (and you should) the piano has a cigarette burn on one of the high keys from the Killer. They will let you play it (or at least not stop you) and you can sing into the famous microphone too. Afterward get yourself some Central BBQ.. cuz Memphis. RIP Jerry Lee.

2 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

What in the name of Chris Hansen was he thinking?  This is so wrong:

"He had gone to Louisiana and came back," she recalled. "He called me out to his car and showed me something. It was a marriage license. He had taken a friend of his to the courthouse. She posed as me and signed the marriage license application. And he brought his marriage license home to me for us to get married. I looked at him and I said, ‘Jerry, are you crazy? My daddy will kill you.’ And he said, ‘Oh no, he won’t. Your daddy likes me and your mama likes me.’ I just kept telling him, ‘They will kill you.’"

"The next day, he said, ‘You wanna go to a movie or something?’" Williams shared. "I said, ‘OK, sure.’ So we got in the car and he drove straight to the preacher that married us. I guess he had it all set up. I was like a deer caught in headlights. You just stare and wonder, ‘Oh my God, where am I? What’s going on? How is this happening?'"

Sorry but that kinda kills it for me - I don't want to hear anything about his "great balls of fire".  At least with MJ there was some doubt.  

As much as I respect his contributions to music, I have to agree with you. It's beyond creepy. I didn't even want to hang out with someone who was 13 when I was effin' 15!

22? That's just... Ew. 

4 hours ago, Pinch said:

As much as I respect his contributions to music, I have to agree with you. It's beyond creepy. I didn't even want to hang out with someone who was 13 when I was effin' 15!

22? That's just... Ew. 

Im with you on this ,I find it just wrong    

But then too, many people believed it was pretty commonplace where Jerry Lee was from.  Many cousins and even siblings have been known to tie the knot in the deep south.  Which does explain a lot...  [wink]  And remember......

Doolittle and Loretta Lynn got married when she was 15 and he was 21.  But they weren't cousins.  

Whitefang

This morning's Detroit Free Press has a long article  about all the suspicions surrounding the death of Jerry Lee's fifth wife, who died shortly after they got married.  She was from Garden City, Michigan.   

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/10/31/jerry-lee-lewis-wife-shawn-lewis-death/10652742002/?gnt-cfr=1

Ack!  Just checked my link.  If you don't want to subscribe to USA(and I wouldn't blame you) maybe somebody can find this story elsewhere.  Sorry.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

On 10/31/2022 at 2:24 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

At least with MJ there was some doubt.  

Doubt?

From who?

And he liked little boys.

He was WAY weirder than Jerry Lee Lewis...

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Edited by Murph