Gibson Brands Forums

Purchasing gear from Reverb

Narwhal6

I was just curious if anyone has any horror stories or precautionary advice when ordering gear on Reverb.

I ordered a pedal from a shop in California on Monday and received a message from the seller saying thanks for the order, I won't be going to the post office til later this week but I'll get it all boxed up for you. So I was thinking.....ok, I'll give them the benefit of doubt.

Zero word from him Tues-Thurs til I messaged him about 5:30 pm. I asked if he could let me know when he was going to mail it. Get a quick response; I'll head to the post office shortly.

So I respond; Thank you, I appreciate the quick response, and nothing further.

Reverb has sent me tracking info so it's definitely been shipped, just kind of an odd first transaction with what looks to be a really cool online marketplace.

5 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I got an empty box which was supposed to have a Les Paul Classic in it.

That was fun.  Sent Canada Post to US Mail.  Don't ever go that route, the tracking is really bad, no way to tell where the box went light.

I always remember that happening to you when I'm waiting on the arrival of a new guitar.

• Haha 1

I've bought and sold on the Verb. The only bad experience I had was I bought a 00-28, and when I got it, it smelled like a ashtray. I contacted the guy and he said he was the original owner and he and his wife do not smoke. So I guess the guys that built it were smoking in the factory when they made it. I hate liers. Just because it says they will mail it in 3 business days is not always the case. Remember people selling and shipping gear are just regular people and might have jobs and stuff going on in their life even though they have stuff for sale. Then of course you have no control over it once USPS, Fed Ex. UPS ect takes posestion.

• Thanks 1

I bought an expensive guitar from a shop in Arizona that had listed it on Reverb.  Everything went smoothly, but that is because the shop did a good job, Reverb was just a way to advertise the guitar.  I listed a guitar on Reverb once and got very few inquiries - ended up selling it locally after taking the Reverb ad down.  Their fees have gone up from what I understand so the more expensive the item, the more they get which can either eat into profits or drive prices up.

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I bought an expensive guitar from a shop in Arizona that had listed it on Reverb.  Everything went smoothly, but that is because the shop did a good job, Reverb was just a way to advertise the guitar.  I listed a guitar on Reverb once and got very few inquiries - ended up selling it locally after taking the Reverb ad down.  Their fees have gone up from what I understand so the more expensive the item, the more they get which can either eat into profits or drive prices up.

I purchased a guitar from Chicago Music Exchange through the Verb. Now when I'm in the Market, I always check out their website. 

Reverb isn’t going to let anyone involved with a transaction via their site take your money and you never get anything. You just had to deal with someone that isn’t prompt on shipping and has kicked the can down the road as far as they could. But nonetheless, I’ve had great experiences with pretty much all the stuff I bought, except for the Music Zoo… those jokers shipped me a Gibson in a box that had no packing whatsoever and but had a GAPING hole when it arrived. I may refrain from doing business with that seller in the future. They even said the condition of this used guitar was excellent. Hardly… one pickup bushing came out of the body, dings galore, basically was a fair condition guitar. At least they sent me a few hundred bucks to make the deal right. Things like this can happen so be careful what entity you deal with on the Verb. 

12 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I purchased a guitar from Chicago Music Exchange through the Verb. Now when I'm in the Market, I always check out their website. 

That's sorta what I did with my round neck resonator.

I found a mint used one on Reverb, then took a day trip to the shop, tried it, liked it, offered a CASH offer (out the door, tax included) far less than it was listed,

Took it home.

Reverb never knew a thing.

I’ve been lucky on Reverb for the most part. One seller bragged about how well he was at packing. He charged more than I had ever paid for shipping. When the package arrived I was amazed the the guitar came in one piece!

61o3Yuq.jpg

kjdSVp6.jpg

It wasn’t even a guitar box, just an oversized box with a smaller box over the headstock to limit the case from banging around!

The last D-15 I bought from GC I got at a great price, and it was in killer condition. They put it in a box and put bubble wrap around the guitar inside. I came fine, but at that moment when I opened the box it was the most pissed off I had ever been at GC in my life.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Reverb is the platform, the marketplace where buyers and sellers can do business.

You don't do business with Reverb, you do business with a private person or music shop somewhere out there.
Reverb is like the dating service that brings you together.

The one thing I really like with Reverb is (and I have bought a lot of gear via their pipeline) that you can rate the person who sold you gear, and they can rate you.

The higher your rating, the more the next buyer or seller will trust you to do good business.

Here is my ratings summary, and my marks for being a good buyer, not a good seller.  (I haven't sold anything via reverb, though the day is young yet.)
https://reverb.com/shop/johns-shop-2783/feedback#

A busy seller will have dozens and dozens of reviews for their performance as a seller.

OP,  Narwhal6,   I would not give the California pedal seller very high marks at all!

🤨

Edited by sparquelito
  • Thanks 1

Well he may have redeemed himself as the little mail truck came up my driveway this morning, that's fast shipping from Cali to Michigan. Unfortunately I was dead asleep or in the shower when they knocked. It was sent signature required, so maybe Monday now.

His ad had the pedal listed as in mint condition and free shipping which is what lured me in, and despite having to prompt him to ship he seems to have come through. We'll see if his idea of mint is what most of us regard as mint.

I love that you can find stuff that's only available used due to an item, or sometimes even a company, no longer being available new. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

Not reverb, but once I bought a guitar from someone in the UK. They just bubble wrapped the case. Amazingly arrived okay.

Back when I was working for the USPS, I saw a guitar shipped with no box or bubble wrap. Just the case with the address label and postage taped to it.

3 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Back when I was working for the USPS, I saw a guitar shipped with no box or bubble wrap. Just the case with the address label and postage taped to it.

That was probably Steve Ford's guitar, cause when he received the package all that was in it was air.

3 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I was at the local UPS place sending a guitar to somewhere and a guy came in there wanting to ship a Gibson LP in just the case and they told him no way and he stomped off in a huff.  Some people are clueless.

• 2 months later...

I have never had any problem with Reverb. My last purchase MF and GC made a mistake on their Reverb add on an aftermarket SG case that normally sold for about 100 plus shipping. They had a sale price 60 with no mention shipping cost, so I ordered it and they shipped. MF and GC  were currently running the same add on eBay with 75 for shipping. I received the case in Hawaii for total cost of 60. Anyway its a very good case.

I’ve had good luck on Reverb so far…….. I have a Les Paul being delivered today that I bought last Thursday. The seller shipped it very quickly. A couple days later I was looking up other similar guitars for comparison & found the exact same Les Paul for sale on eBay in another state! I smelled fraud & contacted the seller about it right away. He answered immediately & said that he had moved from that state & eBay was using his old address. He took the ad down. I have a shipment on it’s way that weighs 25 pounds, I hope it isn’t a box of rocks………….