Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite on-line music instrument retailer?

dem00n

I agree, Sweetwater has the greatest customer service I've ever encountered.

If only they hadn't compromised my CC info and forced me to get a new one....

Sorry, no do-ee business with company that is so lax with my personal info.

[unsure]

Looks like MF ftw, here!

Other - American Musical Supply; Ive dealy with all the "big boys" and recieved the best customer service from American Musical.

Really? I've seen them, but never dealt with them. Do they assign you a personal sales rep who calls you at home to make sure everything is ok?

(I'm diabetic, I can live without the candy in my shipments :) )

Other.

I like Zzounds.com because I can get stuff over $350 and pay it off over 4 payments.

Same with American Music Supply, but they do it over 3 payments.

I know Sweetwater started doing this as well, but their fee is like $10.00 where Zzounds & AMS is $3.00.

The only gear I've bought online is a strap, tuner (both from MF) and recently my Fuzz Factory (rocknrollvintage.com).

When I bought my Fuzz Factory I ordered it on the phone and the guy who helped me out was great. They packed it really nicely and shipped it for free and everything.. I'm happy. Next time I'm in the market for a pedal they'll be the first place I look.

I didn't vote.

I've bought stuff from MF and M123. Same company, slightly different persona. Also from Zzounds. No real problems with any of 'em.

As far as I am from anywhere, I get strings on line, and it's been usually MF.

Had I not gotten a "deal" on a trade-in last summer an hour's drive away one-way and a chance to play the new "special order" guitar before I wrote a check including pretty hefty sales tax, I would have had a real problem figuring whether to go the MF or Sweetwater route. Sweetwater kinda has me convinced with the guitar checkup policy before shipping, but I've really not had bad luck with MF - so I'm not sure what I'd have done if I did mail order.

I've generally had good experience with the companies I've bought from, usually MF. My little acoustic amp 7 years ago came from M123, good service but now their "updated" web site is a disaster to dig through from my perspective.

One sales person at MF several years ago was really stupid on one very simple sale, but the company did quite well in covering for it. I'll wager the sales person didn't last long anyway. My last stuff purchased there a week and a half ago was with a "kid" who was in his first cupla weeks. Made an error in keying in the order - maybe two, I'm checking on that now. But the problems have been covered and he did try and was "nice."

BTW..... From Wikipedia....

In February 2007, the direct response division of Guitar Center, Musician's Friend, purchased assets of the Indiana-based company Dennis Bamber Inc. which included leading band and orchestra retailer, the Woodwind and Brasswind, plus Music 123 and Lyons Music. Guitar Center's sister companies/subsidiaries incorporate Music & Arts Center, Musician's Friend, GuitarCenter.com, LMI, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Woodwind and Brasswind and Harmony Central.

Meanwhile....

m

Whichever one has the best deal on the product I'm looking for. I'd rather have a good deal than good customer Service, as long as it's not ridiculously bad service. A decent return policy is all I'm looking for, I'll research the answer to any question I have myself.

I just saw an R9 used for 4000.00 at MF..........What a deal........Couldn't get it but what a price. I'll get one soon for my collection. I just placed an order with MF, went well except the guy kept pushing protection plans over and over and over and over.......But I saved so much on my order that they asked me not to devulge how much I saved..........( hint, below all possible savings ).....

But I've been looking at zz sounds and sweetwater, as many like them....It is great that many of you have small private businesses you deal with; Small buisness isn't dead in part because of you guys.....

Given where I live I have to admit I get conflicted.

For example, a lady I work with has a kid who's taking lessons from a "store" less than half an hour away. The guy running the place really knows his stuff as a performer, teacher and guitar repairman that seems to be his bread and butter but... he sells strings and whatever well above list. Add some sales tax and it rankles to the point I just can't do it. The lady I work with wants to get a Christmas guitar for the kid. So whadda you say? Nothing.

The nearest "real" guitar store is an hour's drive. A factory second can get the same "street" price as a first line specimen from MF. Add sales tax, maybe 130 miles of gas, an afternoon off work to make the trip... You can work a trade and play before you buy, but you've gotta wonder. My understanding is they're exceptional at house PA systems, but "deals" don't seem to be there much.

Then there are the "local" pawnshops that same hour's drive. They're far worse than anybody 'cuz they figure nobody knows the guitars or jewelry's retail street price. I've seen a cheapy specific fraternal ring at something like 800 percent of retail. A $270 Epi new from MF was marked at nearly $400 used by the time you paid sales tax. I said I was interested, but... and got a nonverbal response suggesting I go ahead and do the mail order.

BTW, my MF order misstep from the beginner sales person did get corrected, not in 24 hours but in one or two - and that was after hours that I sent a customer service email note. I was polite, they were polite and fixed the problem. I've had the "push for the extended service" thing once or twice, but obvious product knowledge seems to cut the crud and, frankly if I were a sales person there I'd make the offer too, but wouldn't push it with a knowledgeable customer.

As I said above, the Sweetwater pre-shipping check makes them sound awfully good. I've heard good things on their customer service too. OTOH, I almost get the impression they're a bit more into pro-quality sound and recording stuff than a big inventory of more guitar-oriented merchandise. And I get the impression their sales people know more about that stuff by far than average. So...

We're in an interesting time for retail. I do see some possible change in the "mail order" business when the national collection of sales tax hits, and it probably will within 3-5 years. I think a GOP Congress would be more "for," but that's actually not particularly a political statement and value judgment one way or another - but I think governors and state legislators may start working toward it harder again. That will cut some distance-buying advantages. So would a VAT.

m

I live about a hour from Sweetwater and less than 20 minutes from Guitar Center.. I take the time and drive to Sweetwater because they are 100x better.. The people who go there actually respect the gear, & they only have the best stuff in their shop because they know what people want, and only serious musicians go there.. that place owns. + they give away candy

I agree, Sweetwater has the greatest customer service I've ever encountered.

If only they hadn't compromised my CC info and forced me to get a new one....

Sorry, no do-ee business with company that is so lax with my personal info.

[unsure]

Looks like MF ftw, here!

soooo THATS who sold my personal info to the telemarket partnership last month.

I had it narrowed down to Sweets or MF.......

Methinks it's time to fire off a few questions about info-sharing w/3rd parties and probably shutting down my account.

Other.

I like Zzounds.com because I can get stuff over $350 and pay it off over 4 payments.

Same with American Music Supply, but they do it over 3 payments.

I know Sweetwater started doing this as well, but their fee is like $10.00 where Zzounds & AMS is $3.00.

ZZsounds is great! They have same day shipping and I live close to their facility, so I get my order overnight.

Sweetwater is great for the best customer service.

Archived