Gibson Brands Forums

Who do you prefer to buy from online?

RRIDER

I am considering buying a new guitar, but can't find anyone local that has one in stock..I can find only one color online at Sam Ash, but a decent selection in most colors online at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. I know GC owns MF, but which would you have more faith in to get an undamaged guitar from?

I am considering buying a new guitar, but can't find anyone local that has one in stock..I can find only one color online at Sam Ash, but a decent selection in most colors online at Guitar Center and Musicians Friend. I know GC owns MF, but which would you have more faith in to get an undamaged guitar from?

I've had good luck and great service from MARS, Nashville; Sweetwater; and American Musical Supply.

I've had good luck and great service from MARS, Nashville; Sweetwater; and American Musical Supply.

I would prefer to buy from Sweetwater or AMS but neither of them have the guitar I'm looking for in stock.

I don't know anything about MARS, Nashville.

I don't buy guitars, "on line," unless they're exclusive, to that dealer,

and it's one I (think) I "have to have!" [tongue] Otherwise, for accessory

items, or pedals, that my regular dealer doesn't have, or doesn't carry, I

use Musician's "Fiend," and/or Sweetwater, mostly. I've had good luck/experience,

with both, over the years.

CB

Some of the members here have said good things about Sweetwater, and I think one or two even mentioned something about how they will try to pick a good instrument for you.

It's too bad that you can't take a road trip to a nearby city and try out several guitars yourself ... especially if you're going to spend a lot.

There's so much variability in the same model of guitar ... not just in fit-and-finish, but also in resonance of the wood.

If you do careful A/B comparisons of half dozen Les Pauls or SGs in the store, you'll probably find that one or two will be duds, and one of them will be the pick of the litter.

So much of this depends on the wood, and this is true, even for the very best of the 100% hand-made guitars like Collings.

If you're interested in the importance of wood selection and just how much variability there is, there's a good article in ToneQuest Report in which Bill Collings talks about the challenge of finding the right wood for his guitars, and for his version of the ES-335.

http://www.collingsguitars.com/Images/reviews/I35LC_tonequest.pdf

I haven't bought a guitar, but I've bought gear from Sweetwater and love them. My buddy was going to order a Taylor from Musicians Friend but I talked him into giving Sweetwater a try. He wasn't disappointed. [thumbup]

Sweetwater is my first choice, but their supply is sometimes limited. If so, then I'll go to MF or GC. I've never had a problem with any of the three, but SW's customer service is much better than the other two.

IMO it's not the online company you have to worry about.

It's who is delivering it - that's what's going to break your guitar.

All the major online places do a good job of packing.

Your faith has to be in the guy who is throwing it on the truck, and then throwing it on another truck. And then....

And there is nothing you can do about that.

However I prefer the guys in the purple to the guys in the brown.

Ebay (unless I can score it cheaper on Craigslist). If I can't find it used on Ebay, then Craigslist. If I have a deadline - and only if I have a deadline - will I buy anything new ever, in which case it's from whoever has it in stock at the best price.

I've used GC, MF, SW, ZZ, SA with no problems, the guitars come in unopened boxes unless it's a used one or some kind of returned special. I go with the best price after taxes (some change if you have a local store). Most will accept an item back as long as you say there is a defect.

I like MF because they ship free and don't charge sales tax, plus I can use either their coupons or those from GC. That said, I've not bought a guitar from them yet (I will be soon). Had good luck with Sam Ash too (two Les Paul Studio 50's Tributes bought from them, one from the warehouse and one from their NYC retail store).

i dont like buying anything online

Agreed, I feel as thogh some of us have an advantage living in city's with many retailers form which to choose.

my suggestion is shop your local mom and pop stores first(if you have any near you), at least some of that money will remain in the community, not is some Chain Stores Coffers.

I've bought 2 acoustic/electrics from Musicians Friend. A Taylor 6 string and a Guild 12. Absolutely no complaints. Both were delivered in perfect shape and didn't even require any additional setup and I always do my own setup with any new guitars. [thumbup]

I've bought mostly from MF whatever it was. Very good luck with them except one AE... Long story on that, but it cut my customer satisfaction from 98 percent to about 70.

I've tried Sweetwater this past cupla weeks and we'll see what happens. The guitar isn't in stock so...

m

I've bought a few from Sweetwater.com with do problems

Archived