Gibson Brands Forums

So. The New Annoying Trend Is To........

Murph

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[laugh] I'm with ya Murph. It's utterly lame. I thought it might just be a U.S. cultural thing until a favourite Brit member started using it a lot.

rct - yes indeed. 9 years if I'm lucky and what joy not to hear the 'consultant-speak' bs again! My most despised one that's emerged over the past few years is to 'reach out' to someone. When I hear it I just want to reach out across the 'kin table and....

.............and?

All trends annoy me.

........so?

[cursing][flapper]

Ok enough already.....

So This is not a trend but what definetly annoys me is my wife's mother! She will talk to hear herself, and uses "I See" over and over and over again till you want to duct tape her mouth shut. Add in the fact, the doctors forgot to remove the umbilical chord between her and my wife makes me So So irritated! eusa_wall.gif

Used properly, the word "so" at the beginning of a sentence does carry meaning, i.e., "therefore," but it depends on what has been said previously - the background of the conversation.

Ted: They found the Higgs boson!

Alice: So the Standard Model of Particle Physics is not just a low-energy approximation, but is valid well into the electroweak symmetry breaking regime.

[unsure]

Keith Devlin, author of Goodbye, Descartes, professor of mathematics, Dean of the School of Science at St. Mary's College, and senior researcher at Stanford University's Center for the Study of Language and Communication, put it this way:

"One way to think of the background to a conversation is by comparing a conversation to two people building a wall. The building skills and experience the two individuals bring to the task are part of the background. So too is the supply company that delivers the bricks, sand, and cement. All of these contribute to the building of the wall, and some of them are essential to the task. But none are part of the actual building work. The one part of the background that can be regarded as part of the actual building process is the preparation of the foundations for the wall, since the foundations are, in a sense, part of the wall. The construction of the wall then proceeds in a step-by-step fashion, as the two persons add one brick after another in a coordinated and cooperative fashion... each new brick builds upon those that have been laid previously. The attention of the two people building the wall is focused entirely on the wall and its foundations, not on anything in the background."

This is why a married couple might communicate with just a few words, and someone else might not understand what the heck they're talking about. The couple knows the background.

Unfortunately, my wife often assumes I know the background of her thoughts when I haven't a clue:

W: She is just not a good friend.

Me: Who are you talking about?

[crying]

"...I know you step back from these reviews, but yer gonna have to lean in on this one..."

(Good. Hummus and peanut m&ms for lunch. I hope it fukkin stinks so bad the stupid fukk passes out.)

rct

...And the Gibson forums have reached the year 1986.

COOL! I've got more hair, less belly, and Ronnie is eating jelly beans! Sweet!

To me it would mean seven years of progress, seven years of happiness, and fifteen dreadful years had yet to come... :unsure:

The very thing in common would be hope. I had some of it then, and I still keep on hoping. B)

Guest Farnsbarns

All things change... in the race to the omega point, most will be left behind.

Be a hermit.

Had this been said by someone considered worthy of note by the larger collective it would become a historical quote.

Archived