Gibson Brands Forums

Fender Telecaster

fretplay

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1464578237[/url]' post='1773730']

They're very different in sound, making it worth having one of each if you collect guitars. The 3 pickups on the Strat give you a greater variety of sounds. Many of the classic Strat sounds come from the "2" and "4" switch positions, which give you a combination of the middle pickup and the neck or bridge pickup. The classic Tele has 2 pickups, with the only similarity to the Strat being the bridge pickup. The neck pickup on a classic Tele is small and low output, which produces some very unique sounds. There's a classic modification that can be done to the Tele that involves adding a 4-way switch, which adds a setting that combines both pickups in series for a higher output sound. Anyway, they're definitely different and cool in their own unique ways.

Thanks for replying. I am going to have to try them sometime. I see so many guys using them on stage a lot but with 3 or 4 guitars playing at once, it's hard to hear just one guitar unless it's a solo?

F50CA9E7-4C00-4E7E-8669-8C41FA9A301D_zpsyqe3zprd.jpg

2011 American Special became my number 1, stable, playability perfect, simple, kind of 'in your face' guitar.

Texas Special pick up so it rocks.

I was perhaps thinking about changing tuners for locking tuners, not because of tuning stability because it is stable with stock tuners but more for quick strings change but that's all.

Some years ago, if you have told me that I will play a tele, I would have laughed but now it is my number 1 ... so much that I am afraid to look for a custom shop and being disappointed

You honestly couldn't go wrong with an MIM Baja Tele. All vintage hardware with Customer Shop pickups, 50s styling, four way pickup selector and S1 switching. Nothing is left out here.

C101B325-C039-421B-97DE-49FB0FD7547B_zpsrewdnksl.jpg

Mine was originally a blackguard but I changed it to white. You can have blonde or butterscotch blonde as well as other colour options. I've owned 52 reissues, American Standards etc.... This one is a keeper. :)

Yeah, I have one of those, as well. A Classic Series '60's White one, with rosewood fingerboard! Great Guitar! [thumbup][biggrin] The only thing I did to it was change the "geenish/white" pickguard, to a black one, as a personal preference thing.

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it!!!! The faded Sonic Blue is sweet. I had to replace the pick guard too.

13254721_10206516402610794_8532245101977246018_o.jpg

Can't go wrong with an old Japanese one, or so I hear. I remember the Japanese Fenders were always consistently good back in the day, as far as build quality went.

I hear the MIMs are a bit more hit and miss, but I've played a bunch of friend's MIM Strats and they've all sounded and played great. I definitely wouldn't pay twice as much for a US one.

IMG_0172_zpsluadp4by.jpg

You can consider a Warmoth. You can build a custom shop quality Tele for 1/4th the price. This one is 24.75 scale and plays like a dream. Custom shop pickups can be obtained at a decent price.

D

I'm afraid the rubber from the hangers will damage the nitro on the Gibbys

Good call. I learned that lesson the hard way with Axe Claw hangers. It took me an hour of wet sanding and buffing to fix the finish damage on my SG.

1464698780[/url]' post='1774108']

I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it!!!! The faded Sonic Blue is sweet. I had to replace the pick guard too.

13254721_10206516402610794_8532245101977246018_o.jpg

Love your collection Big Bill. Very nice. And those hand hangers too. Where did you find those at? Cool!

Love your collection Big Bill. Very nice. And those hand hangers too. Where did you find those at? Cool!

If I remember right, Amazon. Each one is named from bits from Stephen King books, the red one is "Redrum" and the copper one is "Penny Wise". Can't remember the name of the others.

Can't go wrong with a Telecaster! The Mexican made ones are great! I personally think the M.I.M Fenders are one of the best bangs for the buck out there. You can pick up M.I.M ones new and used at a good prices. Of course, U.S.A. made Fenders are absolutely amazing, too. If you don't want to buy new, you can find a lot of used U.S.A ones a great price, too. Haven't had that much experience with Japanese made Fenders, so I can't really say much about the Japanese made ones.

Can't go wrong with a Telecaster! The Mexican made ones are great! I personally think the M.I.M Fenders are one of the best bangs for the buck out there. You can pick up M.I.M ones new and used at a good prices. Of course, U.S.A. made Fenders are absolutely amazing, too. If you don't want to buy new, you can find a lot of used U.S.A ones a great price, too. Haven't had that much experience with Japanese made Fenders, so I can't really say much about the Japanese made ones.

I've had some major problems with the necks on 2013+ US made Strats, but that may just be a string of bad luck, not necessarily indicative of the majority of them having quality issues. I have a Japanese 1966 reissue Jazz Bass which is superb. There is a feeling of precision and quality to it that I haven't felt in too many other guitars. I'd love to try out a Japanese-built Fender Tele or Strat to see if they're as good.

I couldn't decide on one or another so I got a bunch of Teles instead. Who doesn't love Telecasters? [thumbup]

RevsTelecasters_zpsedb7309c.jpg

Fender72ThinlineFullLength_zpskgk0cznk.jpg

Reverend, which guitars do you play for which songs?

Just. Curious

so what's your budget?

hard to beat the Squire Classic Vibe teles for what you can get them for, if you don't mind Fender not being on the headstock,

the 60th anniversary USA tele's are very nice too, at 3x the cost of the squire.

I also agree with the MIM Tele's as being very good values too.

Then there's the second hand market where you could find some USA made G&L ASAT Teles that usually are had for a fraction of the cost new.

hard to beat the Squire Classic Vibe teles for what you can get them for, if you don't mind Fender not being on the headstock,

Yes. A colleague of mine bought one a week ago, and He is very happy with it!

I also agree with the MIM Tele's as being very good values too.

Agree. My only non-US-made guitar is the Tele I have shown a couple of posts above. I can't really imagine how could the real thing be better than it is.

Bence.

Archived