Gibson Brands Forums

Watching the Olympics?

badbluesplayer

I like the racing type sports best. Skiing, speed skating, the sledding type stuff. Anything you could get seriously hurt at. How about ski jumping? You could thoroughly stain your underwear doing that. [thumbup]

I'm not so big on the figure skating. [unsure]

And curling... Weird but competitive.

I was born and raised in MN and participated in winter sports (hockey, downhill and cross-country skiing, etc.) so I really enjoy the Winter Olympics. And having been to South Korea during a six-week cold-weather training exercise while on active duty in the Marine Corps in 1981, I've been interested to see the changes in the country since I was there. (It looks just as cold...LOL) I'm not a big fan of figure skating, but I do enjoy speed skating (short and long track), the different skiing and racing events.

As much as we can. Mrs and I been having fun special dinners and dates to places that show them and stuff like that for a very long time now. It's fun!

This year, considerably less bullshite in prime time than past years.

Snowboarding stuff was just great, and Lindsey Chokeabellis didn't let us down!

rct

I like the racing type sports best. Skiing, speed skating, the sledding type stuff. Anything you could get seriously hurt at. How about ski jumping? You could thoroughly stain your underwear doing that. [thumbup]

I'm not so big on the figure skating. [unsure]

And curling... Weird but competitive.

Love snowboard cross and short track speed skating. I'm also weirdly fascinated with curling.

Too many hours in front of the TV, but they only come around once every 4 years. I grew up where speed skating and curling were really big so enjoy those a lot. The downhill ski racing is amazing (70-80 mph on skiis [scared] )

Just lots of amazing things to see in ski jumping, snowboard, free-style skiing. Lots of fun to watch. [thumbup]

Can’t watch the Olympic Games, too busy watching Chappers and the Captain...

HA! NICE!

so anyway,, no,, have not been following, and usually don't. I do think the winter games are the better of the two, but the only thing I'd perk up for would be the medal rounds for ice hockey which is really the only pro sport in the USA that I care much about.

But the ski jump competition is definitely something I would sit and watch a few minutes of. those dudes are nutz!

Yes I have been watching them. I was up very late last night watching the USA Women's Hockey Team beat Canada & win the Gold. Last time they did that was in 1998 so very excited to see that! And yes we enjoy the figure skating (womens), ski jumping, snowboarding & the downhill skiing. The one "sport" that makes change the channel is curling. WTF is that about [confused]

[biggrin]

Curling is the sport (I guess its a sport, figure skating is not), any slob can do. Sliding a big tea pot looking thing down a sheet of ice with guys with Swiffer's trying to aim the teapot at bulls eye. Its not a sport if there is no ball or puck., It's also not a sport if you can go out a do it by yourself. Then it is an activity.You can't got out an play tennis by yourself, or hockey or football ect. But you can ski and figure skate and snowboard by yourself. I'm not saying those thing don't take talent and skill, it's just not a sport.

Really, so by that definition running a marathon is not a sport.

My definition: It's not a sport if you can drink booze while doing it and still perform reasonably well. Try that with downhill skiing. [biggrin]

Curling is the sport (I guess its a sport, figure skating is not), any slob can do. Sliding a big tea pot looking thing down a sheet of ice with guys with Swiffer's trying to aim the teapot at bulls eye. Its not a sport if there is no ball or puck., It's also not a sport if you can go out a do it by yourself. Then it is an activity.You can't got out an play tennis by yourself, or hockey or football ect. But you can ski and figure skate and snowboard by yourself. I'm not saying those thing don't take talent and skill, it's just not a sport.

[flapper] [flapper] [flapper]

I haven't been watching, mostly because of the endless variations of competition in some of the sports. In addition the political attitudes of many players bothered me. "Spirit of competition"? Seems it is hard to find.

But what really got me was the poor sportsmanship of the Canadian Womens hockey team when they lost the shoot out. Just seemed to confirm my previous thoughts.

Archived